The 1200 calorie imperative.

Options
Slowfaster
Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
I've always heard that dieters should never eat fewer than 1200 calories per day. This seems based on the belief that they can't get all the "nutrition," they need on, say, 1150 calories. I wonder.

I was sixteen the first time I tried the 1200 calories per day regimen and I lost ten pounds the first week. Later on, through my twenties and thirties 1200 calories would allow me to lose about 7 pounds the first week and 2 pounds a week thereafter. At that time my starting weight was usually about 130 pounds with my goal at about 110.

Now I'm 70 years old, can't really exercise much at all, and I find that, at the beginning of a diet while my weight is high (around 200 pounds) I can lose two pounds a week but after I reduce weight to about 180 I only lose one pound a week on the same 1200, and after that a half pound a week is the fastest it will drop. The worst part is -- and this has happened several different times in recent years -- that once I reach 160 pounds, I no longer lose anything at all on 1200 calories a day.

Here's my thought: Doesn't it stand to reason that if an older, sedentary person needs less calories he would also need less nutrients? Why would I need the same amount of protein, vitamins and minerals now, as I needed as a growing teen? I eat a very nutrient dense diet with lots of salmon, vegetables, and good fats and am probably already getting more good nutrition than lots of young people are getting with 3000 calories a day of donuts and fries.

Replies

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Lots of people say don’t go below 1200. For lots of people that’s good advice.

It’s a generalization though, we are all different and some people do need less than this to loose. . Of course, if you’re not eating much it is going to be harder to get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs from your food.

Listen to your body and ask your doctor if you’re planning a very low calorie diet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    I've always heard that dieters should never eat fewer than 1200 calories per day. This seems based on the belief that they can't get all the "nutrition," they need on, say, 1150 calories. I wonder.

I was sixteen the first time I tried the 1200 calories per day regimen and I lost ten pounds the first week. Later on, through my twenties and thirties 1200 calories would allow me to lose about 7 pounds the first week and 2 pounds a week thereafter. At that time my starting weight was usually about 130 pounds with my goal at about 110.

Now I'm 70 years old, can't really exercise much at all, and I find that, at the beginning of a diet while my weight is high (around 200 pounds) I can lose two pounds a week but after I reduce weight to about 180 I only lose one pound a week on the same 1200, and after that a half pound a week is the fastest it will drop. The worst part is -- and this has happened several different times in recent years -- that once I reach 160 pounds, I no longer lose anything at all on 1200 calories a day.

Here's my thought: Doesn't it stand to reason that if an older, sedentary person needs less calories he would also need less nutrients? Why would I need the same amount of protein, vitamins and minerals now, as I needed as a growing teen? I eat a very nutrient dense diet with lots of salmon, vegetables, and good fats and am probably already getting more good nutrition than lots of young people are getting with 3000 calories a day of donuts and fries.

One of the problems with your reasoning is that you were seriously undereating at 1200 kcal a day when you were a teenager, and were most likely not getting all the nutrients you needed then, and quite possibly the same was true in your 20s. Losing 10 ponds in a week or even 7 lbs in a week when you only had 20 lbs to lose is umdereating. And that doesn't even address the question of whether 110 lbs was a healthy goal weight. How tall were you?

The argument against going below 1200 kcal per day does not mean that everyone should go as low as 1200 in the first place. For many 1200 is already too low.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    And now I know what I should NEVER eat 1,200 cals or less....Thank you OP!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Please don't put this down to bone weight. Bones have a fairly low density, and adding a few cm^3 doesn't have a very big influence on body weight.
This discussion has been closed.