The 1200 calorie imperative.

Options

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I second this!! My weekly average is in the area of 1200---never over but under by about 100, I know that I'm probably close to 1200 even on days that are under. My sort of rule is stay above 1000---which in this heat and a house with no AC is hard. Do leave something on the plate when you eat out, start small--just leave a little at first.

You have been very successful so far, just keep tweeking and don't stress about it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    most people think that - however there was a study done a few years ago - asking people to estimate calories they believed they were eating compared to what they were

ultimately - i believe the results were - overweight ppl tended to underestimate calories consumed whereas underweight ppl tended to overestimate

but its been a while since i read the study - i'd have to find it again
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    most people think that - however there was a study done a few years ago - asking people to estimate calories they believed they were eating compared to what they were

ultimately - i believe the results were - overweight ppl tended to underestimate calories consumed whereas underweight ppl tended to overestimate

but its been a while since i read the study - i'd have to find it again

I definitely saw this study it was quite an interesting read
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    We eat out every day. We eat inside the restaurant. I am not going to take my scale to the restaurant with me, I am going to take the restaurant at their word so far as the calories in their food as listed on MFP. At home, I either weigh or measure depending on the food and how much difference it's likely to make. I have done that all along and it has worked for me for ten months. I know that taking my scale with me, taking my whopper apart and weighing the slice of tomato would be more accurate, but I am not willing to go that far. If I had to obsess about calories to the extent some of you seem to do I would quit dieting altogether because life is short and their really are other things.

1/2 TB more mayonnaise on the Whopper adds up to 350 extra calories/week. I don't weigh food when I eat out. But I know if I were to eat out frequently, I would have no way of knowing where I actually stood as far as my calories for the week, and thus no way to know my actual calorie needs, and I wouldn't expect to lose at my expected rate, if at all. That would be OK if that's how I wanted to do it, but I wouldn't then assume I was an outlier based on my data. Personally, I think you can eat 1000 calories if you want... whatever that means in this case.

I have had a couple of friends on my list that ate below 1200 (never as low as 1000) sometimes towards the end of their weight loss. It was driven by impatience though, not because they couldn't lose on more. I wasn't too concerned, because I knew it was a short-term thing, they were extremely sedentary, and they were very careful with their food choices to get adequate nutrition. They also ate out occasionally at restaurants with no calorie info, so I assumed they were probably making up the shortage.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ...making sure I reach my goals for protein and fat, and take a daily vitamin.

Here is a study you might find helpful in determining your protein goals.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665330/

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    ...making sure I reach my goals for protein and fat, and take a daily vitamin.

Here is a study you might find helpful in determining your protein goals.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665330/

I was really hopeful this study would provide insight into protein needs for older women, but despite the abstract's noting a study in premenopausal women that looked at benefits in muscle retention during calorie restriction that included 1.6 g/d/kg bw over .8 kg/d/kg bw, the study design inexplicably (to me) put the posmenopausal women in calorie restriction with protein intakes ranging from .47 g/d/kg bw to .8 g/d/kg bw. That's right, the "high protein" participants were actually getting a hair less than the RDA for protein!

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This has been interesting! I'll admit right here that I don't weigh my food. Given that fact; when mfp tells me to eat 1200 calories, I just log my calories every day and shoot for 1000 to 1100 calories. I really do know that I underestimate how many calories I eat. A slow or stalled wieght loss for me can only be cured with more physical activity. I have learned that about myself. So, OP I am also pushing 70. I have two suggestions for you: Either just shoot for say 1100 cals a day and see how it goes, if you start losing more to your liking, problem solved. Otherwise find some daily activity that you can be relatively sure burns about 150 to 200 calories and stick with it every day, and see if that works to break you out of the slow losses.

After you've given those 2 suggestions a go, please come back here and let us know how it all went!

Also, I havent found my health is adversly affected with this method.

edit to be more clear
This discussion has been closed.