Muscle soreness/cramping

Options
Background I was sick last fall and was off work all winter. I am now back to work 2 days a week 12 hour shifts. I am an RN.

I have my diary set to loose 1 pound a week which puts me at 1650 cal. I am female 5 4 and am 240 (down from 253 on May 7th when I started this journey) I do not eat back any exercise calories because most days I am not that active.

On my work days I am very busy/active but I go home with very sore muscles and the cramping keeps me from sleeping. I know it will take time for my body to get back to where it was before being sick all winter but I'm looking for suggestions to help with the soreness/cramping.

My last labs at the doctors office were all within normal limits and the doctor just suggested I retire. Not going to happen I really enjoy my job and I'm not ready to retire just yet. I'm 56.

I used to run so I am going to try adding the electrolyte tablets to my water I used when I ran but I'm at a loss as to any other ideas. I also am working on increasing my activity on my off days working to get up to 5000 steps a day and doing some bodyweight exercises.

Any other suggestions that are not woo woo science?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Electrolytes, stretching, hot bath with Epsom salts. Do you have an option for 8 hour shifts? It's amazing what a difference those 4 hours can make. Especially if you're on your feet and running the whole time.
  • txmaryk99
    txmaryk99 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do some stretching on my off days I think I will add some during my work breaks. Thanks for that idea it could help loosen up where I am getting tight with the repetitive movements.

8 hour shifts are not an option in my unit. When I first started in nursing we only did 8 hr shifts and complained when 12 hr shifts were introduced. Now that there are some rumblings of going back to 8 hr shifts the younger nurses complain and us older nurses say yes please.

No tub in our place but maybe I could drop by the gym on my way home and spend 20 mins in the hot tub.

Thank you for the suggestions.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Have you gotten some new shoes lately? That can make a big difference.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had same issue. I am your age, blessed with hormonal changes. Have dropped from 200+ to 140's. Are you tracking your micro's like Potassium/Magnesium/Sodium? Once I supplemented with a HIGH ABSORPTION Magnesium and Potassium GLUCONATE (There are difference in both in brands/types and cheap stuff never worked) the problem went away. I also substantially cut salt form my diet years ago and found I need to add a little back in. I use Himalayan Pink to grab all those extra nutrients/ bigger bang from my buck. Do some research on it. May be insightful.
  • txmaryk99
    Options
    Shoes also never thought of that. It is probably time for new shoes.

@lisawolfinger I am not tracking micros but I do take a magnesium supplement which my doctor monitors with labs. The Himalayan pink salt is something I used in the past but when I ran out I started using some local sea salt. You have given me the perfect reason to go buy some more. I will also look into the high absorption K/Mg gluconate.

So new shoes
    Electrolytes in my water at work
    Stretching on work break
    Himalayan pink salt to finish some dishes at home on non work days.

And continue to work on increasing my stamina on non work days to get back to where I was before the winter of no fun.
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are bananas not meant to be good for helping with muscle cramping
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Make sure you’re drinking regularly and not caffeine as this can be dehydrating.

My partner used to get lots of muscle cramps. He now has a tablespoon of mixed seeds and chopped nuts on his breakfast cereal, recommended by his physio and this and switching some of his coffee for sugar free squash seems to help him.

Good luck x
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Is the soreness generalized or is there one muscle group that seems more affected?

Make sure you're working in a good cooldown as well as a good warmup.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As a nurse my life saver this year has been compression socks and good shoes! I’ve had shin splints on and off for a while and aching legs/shins after work. Since using compression socks I haven’t had any leg aches

If you elevate your legs while charting that can help too.

Massage if you can afford it. Gentle stretching, yoga, low impact exercise. I find the more active I am the less overall achiness I have. Just take it slow to start, even short walks on your days off can help
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    This sounds like normal soreness to me. What I'm reading is that you are overall pretty sedentary and then doing a lot of activity on your working days, is that correct? If so, it is just going to take time. I think you are off to a great start increasing your activity on your non-working days. Honestly, it might be best to just take an anti-inflammatory at the end of your shift to allow you to get some sleep. As you become more fit, the soreness will eventually stop.

New shoes is also a great suggestion, wearing the right shoes can make a huge difference. You could also look in to some compression stockings to help with the leg cramps as well. I wouldn't bother with the salt tabs unless you are deficient, super low carb, or very very active, most people get enough sodium in their regular diet.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    I'm about your age, started out at 232 pounds, and have lost 90. I sit at a desk all day and when I first started exercising I would wake up most nights with terrible cramps, and not in the usual places. Most often my toes, shins (not calf), and tops of my feet. I would take ibuprofen and lie in bed with a heating pad across my lower legs, often in tears of pain and frustration. People made all the same suggestions to me such as drinking more water, more magnesium and potassium, shoes, etc but it made no difference whatsoever.

What helped me was stretching and/or yoga. I've always watched the evening news while lying in bed. Instead, I found a mat, got on the floor, and did a variety of stretching or yoga poses for 45-60 minutes. I did it every night while watching the news. I did it on the days I exercised and the days I didn't. Its the only thing that worked for me and as long as I stretched before bed, there were no cramps in the night.

These days I exercise 60 minutes a day/6 days a week doing lots of different things (including yoga once a week) and I no longer need to dedicate as much time to stretching. Thankfully, I haven't had a night cramp in months.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'd consider taking ibuprofen before/during your shifts to reduce the swelling, until you have built up more endurance for your muscles by working out a bit (walking, whatever). There is no reason to be in pain if you don't have to. I will sometimes take 3 ibu (200 u. each) before a workout if I have had a few more days off than usual, and do that for the first week back on my run/walks. It makes a ton of difference. I had to go without the ibu when starting back to working out after a very long, lazy winter, and I had forgotten what DOMS felt like b/c I had used it off and on for years and years (since my early 30s, maybe?) Of course you wouldn't want to do anything without a doctor's advice . . .

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    xcazax wrote: »
    Are bananas not meant to be good for helping with muscle cramping

They are, but an equal weight of potato is better.
  • txmaryk99
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do wear compression stockings at work, a habit from my earlier days of running.

I work Tuesday and Wednesday so I will work on stretching before work, during break and when I get home.
    Since I am low normal on my labs for electrolytes I will add electrolyte tabs to my water at work. I have been taking Naproxen but can only take it every 12 hours. I think I will switch to the Ibuprofen as I can take it every 8 hours maybe that will make a difference.

Next week I will be able to get new shoes and the rest is up to time.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    txmaryk99 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do wear compression stockings at work, a habit from my earlier days of running.

I work Tuesday and Wednesday so I will work on stretching before work, during break and when I get home.
    Since I am low normal on my labs for electrolytes I will add electrolyte tabs to my water at work. I have been taking Naproxen but can only take it every 12 hours. I think I will switch to the Ibuprofen as I can take it every 8 hours maybe that will make a difference.

Next week I will be able to get new shoes and the rest is up to time.

Just remember that the NSAIDs are hard on the kidneys.