Tips to build endurance and stamina for difficult hikes?

Options
Hi everyone!

I've started to love hiking and have been going on more and more difficult hikes recently. What I find difficult is the continuous uphill steep climbing. I find myself taking more breaks than I expected to catch my breath. I feel my pulse is through the roof and have to rest before I start the climb again. I plan to do a lot more difficult hikes this summer but don't want to struggle through them.
I have been progressively exercising more - elliptical, treadmill and running.

1) Please provide advise on what exercises I should add to what I am already working on.
2) How many times a week and for how long.
3) Also any advise on foods (vegan) to keep me energized?

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    There are some very steep hills in my area. Just climbing them regularly alone built up my strength and endurance to hike them.

However, it may also help to climb real stairs and/or a Stairmaster or a walk on treadmill at max incline for at least 1/2 hr at a time w/o rest at your normal hiking pace as often as you can w/o fatique. When this gets easy increase the duration by 15 mins to increase endurance. I also did/do this from time to time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The best way to train is to hike those slopes, really. The movement is just so much different than anything else. Well, I found that running helps somewhat, but not much. Best done outside because of how terrain, tiny undulations in the road and weather influences your run.

If you're healthy then the heartrate going high is not a problem, mind. However, if you say you are very fit then could it be your bloodpressure is acting up? I've had this problem all my life (I was the small child that couldn't run): blood starts pooling in my legs, I feel lightheaded, then I stop and my pulse really shoots up big time.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Going up hills are harder work. There's a reason when you're route planning you should be adding 10 minutes for every 100m climbed. Taking more breaks should be expected going up hills.

However if you want to train for it, nothing is better than going out on the hills. If that's not regularly possible, you can try treadmills on high incline or stepping machines/ running up and down some stairs.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Strength training also helps, as the effort to produce the force necessary for a task decreases as you get stronger. That doesn't effect cardio endurance directly as much, but certainly efficiency has impact on workload (which has an impact too).
  • annietheblue
    annietheblue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Currently training for a big hike. I don’t have any exercise equipment or belong to a gym. So I stuff my pack with dummy weight (books and water) and take it on my neighborhood walks! I usually walk around 2-3 miles on each outing. You might look a bit dorky but It’s a great conversation starter with neighbors :smile:

I would do this twice a week and gradually build up the weight you carry. Start low, like 10 extra pounds.

Don’t really have any specifically vegan diet tips, but I find it’s really helpful to start hydrating well the night before a big hike. While on a hike, apples are a great snack—natural sugars give you quick energy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    chai_latte wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I've started to love hiking and have been going on more and more difficult hikes recently. What I find difficult is the continuous uphill steep climbing. I find myself taking more breaks than I expected to catch my breath. I feel my pulse is through the roof and have to rest before I start the climb again. I plan to do a lot more difficult hikes this summer but don't want to struggle through them.
    I have been progressively exercising more - elliptical, treadmill and running.

1) Please provide advise on what exercises I should add to what I am already working on.
    2) How many times a week and for how long.
    3) Also any advise on foods (vegan) to keep me energized?

Thanks a bunch!

Stair climbing.

I work in a 10-storey building, and for a couple years I was climbing anywhere from 10-40 flights of stairs a day 5 days a week.

At first, I could barely manage 5 flights without feeling like I needed medical attention (major huffing and puffing) but after a few times, 5 flights became OK, and I gradually increased the number of flights I could do. It was great being able to climb 10 flights of stairs while chatting casually away to another coworker and breathing normally. :)

And as an additional benefit, I also improved my hill climbing on my bicycle.

I need to get back into that again.

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hiking is the best training for hiking. Being out of breath isn't unusual while you are building endurance. I'd honestly be more concerned about overtraining injuries if you are trying to "condition" too quickly. Enjoy your hiking and let your body be your guide. You'll improve at a more natural pace if you just keep hiking and stopping to pant when you need to. No shame in that.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that just hiking alone may be the best training, though a stair master sounds like a good idea. Adding weight to a pack while hiking will also help.

As for foods - the traditional trail mix is always a good for energy boosts. Some nuts, dried fruit of choice, and some chocolate pieces. I find that very strenuous hiking suppresses my appetite while hiking, so trail mix is good for me because I can just have some pieces now and then. I have to force myself to do it so I won't crash. You could also consider vegan jerky, fruit that's easily transportable like an orange. Do you know much about the area you hike? If it's bear territory, that might change what's recommended. Or you might want to put your food in a bear canister.

Also, I have to be very careful to stay hydrated because the mix of exertion and heat can trigger a migraine for me. I use Nuun tablets, the ones with electrolytes and caffeine (I think from green tea extract).

I'm envious. Most of the areas for hiking near me are National Forest areas that are closed due to fire danger. Enjoy!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    I found that when I started doing C25K (jogging) that my lung function and recovery time vastly improved which in turn helped with hiking.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You guys are just awesome!! Thank you so much for all the information and support!! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I find myself taking more breaks than I expected to catch my breath.!

First, happy hiking! Then I would say "Taking more breaks than expected" is hard to judge what you mean. I always take more breaks than I 'expect" or "want to" but that's to a large extent a reflection of my own desire or expectation. It is ok to take as many breaks as you need. The first step is to adjust our own expectations and go with the flow. Don't get stressed if you are slower or faster than others. There will ALWAYS be people slower and faster than you. If you are the slowest one in your group, there is someone behind you or sitting on the couch at home. Most hikes that look challenging or interesting to you will probably feel like "struggle" at some point. If it were "easy" you would probably find it boring.

What kind of hike do you do now-distance & elevation? How far can you walk comfortably? This is your starting point, then you work on increasing from there. At one point, 500 ft elevation gain was a struggle for me, now I can do 2,000-3,000 ft. I can easily hike 10 miles on relatively flat terrain, but if there's a lot of elevation gain, I prefer a shorter distance.

Hiking is great prep for hiking, but most of us can't do it often enough to be a real "training program". In my experience, the components of successful hiking are the same as anything else-- cardio endurance, muscular (leg) strength, and muscular endurance. I do modified SL 5x5 (at home) or similar 9at gym) 2-3 x week, focusing on squats and deadlifts. I swim 2-3x week for my cardio. I walk several miles a day in the neighborhood. That's where I am "now". A couple years ago, my training schedule was a bit slower paced and by next year my goal is for it to be more intense. Like all fitness, it takes time.

Also, make sure you have a well-fitted pair of hiking shoes/boots. Even on easier terrain I like something more than gym shoes. I strongly recommend hiking poles also. They just give you a little to a lot extra assistance in many spots. They are not a sign of hiking weakness and even if they were, it wouldn't matter. Make sure you bring enough water and food with you and a good fitting pack. All these things can drain your overall energy if neglected and that can impact your enjoyment of the hike.

The point is to get out and enjoy yourself and nature, and to keep working at improving.

PS I'm not vegan but I rely on apples, protein bars, yogurt, and a sandwich or meat & cheese for food.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed reply lorrpb!

Every month I am completing 2000 - 3000 feet elevation hikes, each 6 + miles. I agree with you, the flat terrain is much easier for me and I can go walking on this for lengthy periods of time without breaking too much of a sweat or needing to take a breather.

I know I should not but I do compare myself a lot with people who can climb steep elevations faster than me and without having to take frequent stops like I do. On my way to the top huffing and puffing I see them already on their way back down and I feel that I should be doing better.

For my hike a few days ago I did use hiking poles and it made such a world of a difference with stability and not having sore knees after.

Could you please further explain what you mean by: modified SL 5x5 (at home) or similar (at gym)?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed reply lorrpb!

Every month I am completing 2000 - 3000 feet elevation hikes, each 6 + miles. I agree with you, the flat terrain is much easier for me and I can go walking on this for lengthy periods of time without breaking too much of a sweat or needing to take a breather.

I know I should not but I do compare myself a lot with people who can climb steep elevations faster than me and without having to take frequent stops like I do. On my way to the top huffing and puffing I see them already on their way back down and I feel that I should be doing better.

For my hike a few days ago I did use hiking poles and it made such a world of a difference with stability and not having sore knees after.

Could you please further explain what you mean by: modified SL 5x5 (at home) or similar (at gym)?

Sounds like you cover really great elevation and distance already! There will always be faster people. I just tell my self I'm taking more time to enjoy the hike!

Re hiking poles,, after you find your best lenght, you can lengthen them a bit for downhills and shorten them a bit on uphills. Makes a big difference .

strongLifts 5x5: I do not use a standard bar with SL5x5. I use DB except DL I use a 5 ft bar, This at home. I do squat, DL row each time and alternate chest press and OHP. I have adjustable DB handles and a set up to 45 which I have not yet maxed out on.I'm sure someone will criticize me for doing this, but this is what works for me.
    At the Y I do a combo of machines and DB but hit all body areas and some accessory lifts.
    If you haven't lifted before , just follow the basic SL program. There is a thread in Gaining/Body building forum called Which Lifting Program is best for you.
    If you are huffing and puffing, don't neglect your cardio.