Tips for recreational biking

Options
2»

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

@mjbnj0001 @fishgutzy I don't have enough funds for the cycling gear or clothes (beyond helmet and a lock) ...

Not to worry, @Hamsibian I fully understand and empathize economic considerations. That's a $12 Chinese handlebar bag from Amazon on my bike - I didn't want to commit to a lot of big add-on expenses until this cycling activity became a definite "thing" (it wasn't a sure bet until I built up some miles and momentum), but still needed a few items for safety and convenience.

A couple of folks have mentioned padded cycling shorts. Once you're spending some more time in the saddle, you'll probably want to prioritize this expense. Your nether regions will thank you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Today I put my bike in the back of my car, drove about an hour, rode a 25 mile loop back to my car, and drove home. I live in Seattle, and this let me ride in scenic farm country, with peacefully empty roads. Instead of homeless people, there were rabbits, goats, and deer.

If you have the ability to transport your bike, that's a great way to stay motivated. And it's a great way to enjoy good scenery too.

... A bike rack for the car doesn't need to be a major expense, and can make transporting it to a trail or park easier ...

BTW, I was a little tired when I wrote the above. The rack advice was aimed at the OP, not @NorthCascades who probably knows all this stuff.

I actually rode to the dealership to make sure the car I was considering could fit my bike before I bought it. That came before a test drive. :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Wow , I love all of these! @NorthCascades did you bike at Mt. Rainier? I lived in Seattle for a few months several years ago. Unfortunately it was when the trails were "under construction", so I didn't get to see it except by the entrance. I would love to see it and the rest of the state one day. Luckily there are plant of state parks and natural scenery in Minnesota - heck, a deer was hanging out in our backyard for hours last week.

Several years ago, I had bought this cheap pair of tubular wheels, really light for climbing. So, one day I drove 2 hours to there base of Rainier, with the bike frame in the back of my car and the wheels in the trunk. I parked, got everything out, and had a flat tire. It was fine when I left, but there was a staple in the car. Tubular tires are glued on, there was no fixing it. Can you tell I'm still bitter?

I stayed in Minneapolis for a month, I remember a lot of great scenery. Just so much water everywhere. Big hills near the river, big sky everywhere else.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Today I put my bike in the back of my car, drove about an hour, rode a 25 mile loop back to my car, and drove home. I live in Seattle, and this let me ride in scenic farm country, with peacefully empty roads. Instead of homeless people, there were rabbits, goats, and deer.

If you have the ability to transport your bike, that's a great way to stay motivated. And it's a great way to enjoy good scenery too.

... A bike rack for the car doesn't need to be a major expense, and can make transporting it to a trail or park easier ...

BTW, I was a little tired when I wrote the above. The rack advice was aimed at the OP, not @NorthCascades who probably knows all this stuff.

I actually rode to the dealership to make sure the car I was considering could fit my bike before I bought it. That came before a test drive. :smile:

Love the priorities alignment! LOL