Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high...

The default macro split on MFP is 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. Many people have had great success losing weight and hugely improving their health using that macro combination. For an even more extreme example, Google "Twinkie Diet". A professor lost considerable weight and showed vast improvement in his metabolic/health markers while eating a diet largely composed of what people commonly refer to as "junk food".

Carbs are not the evil bogeyman that keto advocates are making them out to be.

However 50% is quite high if you have PCOS or another medical issue related to insulin resistance.

Sure, but what percentage of the population have that medical issue? There will always be exceptions especially with all the people in this world.

I can't tell you about worldwide population, but according to the CDC, 8-10% of women in America have PCOS, 9.4% of the U.S. population (male and female) have diabetes, and 84.1 million people have prediabetes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LouisTamsi wrote: »
    SAD doesn't exist, we are too diverse of a culture, each bringing our own norms to the table to even begin to define SAD. Now what we could do is instead rebrand it as DAD or the Dysfunctional American Diet, one that is heavy on greasy foods, fast food, junk food, soda, etc. These foods don't hold the nutrients we need as well as being silent calories. Up until a few weeks ago I bet few people knew how many calories were in a supersize big mac value meal. Now I'm not demonizing these foods in and of themselves, but if they're your only diet then problems are on the horizon.

What changed in the last few weeks?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high...

The default macro split on MFP is 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. Many people have had great success losing weight and hugely improving their health using that macro combination. For an even more extreme example, Google "Twinkie Diet". A professor lost considerable weight and showed vast improvement in his metabolic/health markers while eating a diet largely composed of what people commonly refer to as "junk food".

However 50% is quite high if you have PCOS or another medical issue related to insulin resistance.

Sure, but what percentage of the population have that medical issue? There will always be exceptions especially with all the people in this world.

I can't tell you about worldwide population, but according to the CDC, 8-10% of women in America have PCOS, 9.4% of the U.S. population (male and female) have diabetes, and 84.1 million people have prediabetes.

yet many of them may be misdiagnosed. my daughter was misdiagnose as being insulin resistant she is obese and has a thyroid issue. she had further testing done she is not IR. she has no diabetes and is not even pre diabetic,yet her first endo tried to say she was. she doesnt have pcos either. now my sons gf found out she has pcos and she is prediabetic but her IR tests show that its a normal level. her fasting glucose is high but her glucose after she eats is normal
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Still in a minority. 9 out of 10 people don't have issues. 9 out 10 people can lose weight with carbs without it affecting their health.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of posts asking about keto, too. I don't know enough to help, so I scroll past. This post caught my eye because I was thinking the same thing, but it does not bother me.