Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options

Replies

• susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fung's is a snake oil salesman? Like Ornish,Pritikin, Atkins,Dukkan and every other doctor who wrote a book about the diets they are successfully using to treat their patients?

Here is a staunch low-carb/keto advocate with diabetes who writes in detail why Fung is a scammy snake oil salesman of the highest order:

https://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/04/20/fung-us-among-us/

https://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/04/24/what-the-fung/

[ETA:] Also, if anybody is interested in what the evidence-based nutrition community thinks of Fung, here's what happened when he joined the International Society of Sports Nutrition's Facebook page to pimp his podcasts with Taubes, Ludwig, Noakes, etc. (warning for NSFW language): https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheISSN/permalink/10154830542402791/

Thanks for that, I just got sucked down and huge Facebook rabbit hole (it was fun!)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    aburrison1 wrote: »
    1. Most people find fat (and protein) satiating.
    2. Carb cravings are reduced
    3. If improves conditions related to insulin resistance like T2D, prediabetes, PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimer's, CVD; as well as some neurological problems.
    4. Steadier energy from steadier BG
    5. Improved lipid panels for most.
    6. Possible gastrointestinal improvements or for other symptoms like migraines
    7. Better skin and hair
    8. It has been shown to be just as effective as any weight loss diet, and slightly better in those with IR.
    9. Sustainability is just as good, if not better, than some other diets like low fat
    10. It is quite complimentary to popular IF due to appetite suppression
    11. Bacon

You are correct about this statement. Keto is actually a credible and sustainable way of eating. It does, in fact, facilitate with improved health. If you take a blood panel and compare before Keto and after you will notice improved results. I know personally because I have experienced it. Keto has improved my life and health. With Keto I also do intermittent fasting (IF). Using IF and Keto together facilities faster weight loss and a healthier body. In fact, when I have gone off Keto and IF my health deteriorated.

Not everyone finds lots of fat satiating and wish people would stop repeating this like it's nearly universal. I legitimately thought there was something wrong with me when I tried Whole 30 because low carb made me feel this weird combination of both stuffed and weak from hunger, I definitely wasn't satisfied. I need one reasonable portion of complex carbs in a meal and I am happy, full, and energetic for much longer.

Yes, this has been pointed out many times. Some find fats satisfying. Many do not. It's like a subtle form of propaganda. Trying to speak it into reality. For those that find fats satisfying, great. But many do not.

I love fat, find it satiating, and am not a volume eater. I still wouldn't want to do keto. I probably eat a higher percentage of fat than most but find if my carbs dip below 100g/day for any sustained period of time I get very cranky :lol:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been on a keto diet (Profile by Sanford) since the end of January & I'm down over 55 pounds. That & 9Round has worked for me, but it's not a hardcore keto (I've seen that keep their daily carbs in the double digit range). If I want to eat something, I will. It might be easier for someone like me, because I'm not a big fan of Italian food. I'm now in the second stage where I'm working towards fewer shakes & bars & more real food.

I also find that if I eat too few carbs one day, the next I will have huge carb cravings & can go off the rails easy if it's a day that I haven't prepared my meals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    aburrison1 wrote: »
    1. Most people find fat (and protein) satiating.
    2. Carb cravings are reduced
    3. If improves conditions related to insulin resistance like T2D, prediabetes, PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimer's, CVD; as well as some neurological problems.
    4. Steadier energy from steadier BG
    5. Improved lipid panels for most.
    6. Possible gastrointestinal improvements or for other symptoms like migraines
    7. Better skin and hair
    8. It has been shown to be just as effective as any weight loss diet, and slightly better in those with IR.
    9. Sustainability is just as good, if not better, than some other diets like low fat
    10. It is quite complimentary to popular IF due to appetite suppression
    11. Bacon

You are correct about this statement. Keto is actually a credible and sustainable way of eating. It does, in fact, facilitate with improved health. If you take a blood panel and compare before Keto and after you will notice improved results. I know personally because I have experienced it. Keto has improved my life and health. With Keto I also do intermittent fasting (IF). Using IF and Keto together facilities faster weight loss and a healthier body. In fact, when I have gone off Keto and IF my health deteriorated.

Not everyone finds lots of fat satiating and wish people would stop repeating this like it's nearly universal. I legitimately thought there was something wrong with me when I tried Whole 30 because low carb made me feel this weird combination of both stuffed and weak from hunger, I definitely wasn't satisfied. I need one reasonable portion of complex carbs in a meal and I am happy, full, and energetic for much longer.

Yes, this has been pointed out many times. Some find fats satisfying. Many do not. It's like a subtle form of propaganda. Trying to speak it into reality. For those that find fats satisfying, great. But many do not.

I love fat, find it satiating, and am not a volume eater. I still wouldn't want to do keto. I probably eat a higher percentage of fat than most but find if my carbs dip below 100g/day for any sustained period of time I get very cranky :lol:

Keto isn’t for everyone, that’s for sure, but it is definitely for many.

I personally like to keep my carbs around 100g to and I definitely like fat and protein ahead of carbs.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    bricorna wrote: »
    Interesting point and question.

Keto is not going away because a "ketogenic diet" is not like any other "diet" out there, which normally proscribe what foods you can eat based on a variety of theories and in what amounts. "Keto" means being in a state of nutritional ketosis, which means that you are eating less than or equal to 20g of net carbs per day, and that your body has switched over from burning glycogen derived from carbohydrates (or sometimes protein) to burning ketone bodies, either from bodily or dietary fat.

This can occur in almost any diet accidentally on some days, and will result very quickly from fasting. But it doesn't imply a nutritional deficit - it doesn't necessarily restrict how much you eat. Atkins or paleo tend to veer into it, as does any kind of survivalist living. Eating only bacon because you just like it will get you there. Even a vegan living on coconut oil and avocado alone could do it.

Keto doesn't say what you should eat, it is just a state you enter when your carbs are restricted. And being in that state for sustained periods of time can have positive benefits physically and cognitively.

So it isn't really a diet, though there are healthier and less healthy ways to do. It's a nutrient pattern. And it is ancient - we went in and out of it evolutionarily forever. So id say, no, it isn't going anywhere.

But you're right - most people don't understand it very well!

The current ultra fad phase will pass...which is what I think the point of the OP is. It's super fad right now and all over everything social media. I personally don't have a problem with keto or any other diet...but I do think it gets super annoying when they become fads of the highest order and 99% of what gets thrown out there on various social media sites by people following the fad is pure nonsense and/or they have zero clue what they're talking about and extremely limited nutritional knowledge. No diet ever goes away completely...people still do paleo for example, but it's not nearly as "hot" and trendy as it was 5 years ago when it was the only way to eat.

That and it gets super preachy...pretty close to as preachy as veganism in regards to it being the only way to eat and be healthy...ironic that they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.