Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day ATP is what matters for "fuel", just different rates/kinetics as well as efficiency for proteins, carbohydrates, & fatty acids...dynamics vs. kinetics
  • Blonde_Runner615
    Blonde_Runner615 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really don't give a damn what other people are doing. I don't do keto because I took a college-level nutrition course that emphasized at least 150 g of carb daily for healthy adults so that our bodies don't go into ketoacidosis, which is not a healthy or natural state.

"Ketone bodies are three water-soluble molecules (acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and their spontaneous breakdown product, acetone) containing the ketone group that are produced by the liver from fatty acids[1] during periods of low food intake (fasting), carbohydrate restrictive diets, starvation, prolonged intense exercise,[2] alcoholism or in untreated (or inadequately treated) type 1 diabetes mellitus."

I'm not trying to adhere to a diet that induces similar physiological outcomes as starvation, alcoholism, and untreated type 1 diabetes mellitus. But that's just what's right for me. I would never tell anyone else how to live their lives.

The reason I eat carbs is the same reason I do cardio. What's happening inside my body is and will be more important than what's happening with my outer layers.

Any evidence to support the bolded part?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm no expert, and I won't debate anyone on this topic because again I don't give a damn what anyone else is doing. I am just recalling what I learned in Nutrition 101 and explaining why I avoid ketoacidosis.
  • Hthrbee1978
    Hthrbee1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "The SAD is known for the relative *lack* of whole grains, not an emphasis on them.[/quote]

And a lack of veg and fruit...[/quote]

I am Keto..again. I eat between 20 and 50 grams of carbs a day, and do not count the carbs from my vegetables (except corn and potatoes and those that are pretty starchy). I don't eat a lot of grains, I sub nut flour for a lot of my baking, and eat "a lot" of almonds and hazlenuts and pecans (a lot for keto, a few ounces a week). I have a more realistic expectation, but am pre-diabetic, so it's not a bad thing to reduce carbs. Some people take it to the extreme and it's simply not sustainable. I need to find some grains that I can eat that won't spike my sugar so much, but I do occasionally snack on full fat granola(once a week 1/4 cup, and I keep within my macros). Just starting keto again, because I was one of those "Zero-10 grams of carbs, no vegetables, etc" and it drove me nuts. Taking it slow and easy now. There are a lot of people that like to try the newest thing, so it'll be popular for a while and die down eventually.