Bodybuilding and body image issues

Options
I am wondering how common it is for people who bodybuild (recreationally or competively) to experience some type of body image issues (I don't know if classified as serious as body dysmorphia but maybe in some cases).

Before I got into lifting and bulk/cut cycles, I always figured things were not possible and accepted how I looked but tried to improve on what I could. Since I started bodybuilding however, and seeing what is possible...I don't accept certain things as much any more. I am always trying to keep pushing and find myself getting more and more focused on this "perfect ideal" I have in my head.

I don't know what is going on with me lately but I am so discouraged...I feel like I work so hard and I am still nowhere near happy. I am constantly doubting myself, thinking maybe I am not working hard enough, not running the right programming, not eating right, not taking this seriously enough. Sometimes I think I might need a coach to push me in the right direction. But I feel like my goals aren't serious enough for that. Then I think I might need new goals, but I've tried in the past and while I love getting stronger having it as my #1 goal just doesn't keep me motivated either. I just don't know how to get out of this funk and stop putting so much pressure on aesthetics.

Anyone going through something similar or have any advice on how to manage it?

Replies

• EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I feel frustrated. I put so much effort in, this past fall/winter/spring, and when I compare before and afters, I don't see much change. When I focus on strength goals, I feel more immediate gratification, but at the end of the day, I'm lifting because I have specific aesthetic goals and those trump strength. And I kind of wonder if it's just a result of putting so much time, effort, and interest into something and having it not meet expectations. I've put my hand to other efforts too (landscaping, baking projects, sewing) and the disappointment I feel after all that hard work produces lackluster results is similar, I think, to how I feel about my bodybuilding effort these days. I think I just need to find the bright side, focus on the positive results I've gotten from this time (even if all that is is getting my body back after babies, or just a great feeling I've had after every workout has been completed). I think even the perfect looking Instagram fitspos have things they want to change, and we're all working toward it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Seems common to never be 100% satisfied whether looking for a transformation (20%+ improvement or so) or just some icing on the cake (last 5%) because perfection is not obtainable, just something one can strive towards as a goal. If anything, I view bodybuilding more as a hobby, having some goal/improvement to strive for (something to preoccupy my spare time; there are not any real consequences or stakes to have anxiety about)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am wondering how common it is for people who bodybuild (recreationally or competively) to experience some type of body image issues (I don't know if classified as serious as body dysmorphia but maybe in some cases).

Before I got into lifting and bulk/cut cycles, I always figured things were not possible and accepted how I looked but tried to improve on what I could. Since I started bodybuilding however, and seeing what is possible...I don't accept certain things as much any more. I am always trying to keep pushing and find myself getting more and more focused on this "perfect ideal" I have in my head.

I don't know what is going on with me lately but I am so discouraged...I feel like I work so hard and I am still nowhere near happy. I am constantly doubting myself, thinking maybe I am not working hard enough, not running the right programming, not eating right, not taking this seriously enough. Sometimes I think I might need a coach to push me in the right direction. But I feel like my goals aren't serious enough for that. Then I think I might need new goals, but I've tried in the past and while I love getting stronger having it as my #1 goal just doesn't keep me motivated either. I just don't know how to get out of this funk and stop putting so much pressure on aesthetics.

Anyone going through something similar or have any advice on how to manage it?

Have you thought of hiring a coach as you say to challenge You?
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel like this all the time! I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied, but this is what drives my desire to continually get better. I'm 46 years old and feel better than I did in my 20s. So I've decided that maybe this isn't the worst mindset to be "stuck" with. Afterall, we could be couch potatoes, overweight, and in declining health. :)
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think we can have body image issues due to unrealistic expections.

What I mean by that is we see so many people on tv or wherever who are not 100% natural or have had different forms of cosmetic surgery.

As someone said we will likely never be satisfied but that is what drives us in a way.

I want to be the best I can be.

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think we can have body image issues due to unrealistic expections.

What I mean by that is we see so many people on tv or wherever who are not 100% natural or have had different forms of cosmetic surgery.

As someone said we will likely never be satisfied but that is what drives us in a way.

I want to be the best I can be.

Mine certainly isn't from the television. My sister has DDD breasts, with a waistline, buttocks and tapered thighs like Kiki Vhyce. I see my body goals everyday. No room for me to slack off.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't if its fair to say TV or Instagram causes these issues. Because people have been striving to create perfect bodies the entire time I've been alive. No the mirror causes it. We all want to strive to be our best selves and sometimes the mirror is the first and only responder. I think we all go thru plateaus and its frustrating. The last couple of weeks have been a struggle for my cut because of summer parties and the drinks that go with them. Yet I met my original weight goal, but I said that's not good enough the next goal is 9 to 10% bf. I'm struggling getting past the 13 to 15 mark. Summer is killing me too many parties, but I'm not a pro so I'm gonna live and still be frustrated. Until I break the damn open again.

But I just wanted to say to Sardelsa, that you are a very beautiful person who has made a ton progress. It sounds like you're frustrated but Your willingness to share your progress, and knowledge is greatly appreciated by many, including myself. You've inspired a lot of people around here not just the ladies.