Yoga vs Boxing

Options
Event_Horizon975
Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
As a woman, a lot of people tell me I need to/should do yoga. A good friend of mine is a Yogi and even did private sessions with me (God bless her). The problem is that I just don't like it. It's not for me. I gave it my all - an honest effort. I get it. I see the benefits, but .... MEH. :indifferent:

I enjoy boxing. :happy: Beating that bag like it stole my lunch money is MY zen. Getting rhythm with a speed bag, putting a face on it & punching the **** out of it! Now, THAT'S RELEASE! OHHHHHMMMMM. Namaste beaatch! :happy:

Which do you prefer? Calming, fluid activities or beating the stuffing out of something? Maybe even a little of both?

Replies

• DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I think they're extreme opposites so it's kind of pointless to compare the two.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    Curiosity as to whether or not people (women in particular) prefer one over the other isn't pointless.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like heavy bag work while watching women do yoga.

Double pump.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    One is great for flexibility and core strength and the other is great for cardio and upper body strength. They aren't really comparable...
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    One is great for flexibility and core strength and the other is great for cardio and upper body strength. They aren't really comparable...
    Boxing is GREAT for core strength!
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the more aggressive workouts. I feel as though I get a greater calorie burn for one but I also FEEL better as a whole. I haven't really put forth the effort to try yoga but It could possible be a nice cool down type workout after you have punch the crap out of that bag :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yoga 'cause no one punches you in the face in yoga class! lol

Honestly, I've never tried boxing, though I've considered it. I don't think I would necessarily prefer one over the other. I might like both. I love swimming, I enjoy walking and jogging and I enjoy yoga, among other things.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    There obvious benefits to both and yes, they are opposites in many ways - and even similar in some. My question is which do people typically prefer....
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Curiosity as to whether or not people (women in particular) prefer one over the other isn't pointless.

I prefer hot yoga over yoga and kick boxing over boxing.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    Yoga 'cause no one punches you in the face in yoga class! lol

Honestly, I've never tried boxing, though I've considered it. I don't think I would necessarily prefer one over the other. I might like both. I love swimming, I enjoy walking and jogging and I enjoy yoga, among other things.
    Well rounded - great variety you have! :smile:
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    Personally I prefer the more aggressive workouts. I feel as though I get a greater calorie burn for one but I also FEEL better as a whole. I have really put forth the effort to try yoga but It could possible be a nice cool down type workout after you have punch the crap out of that bag :)
    I'm with you on this girl! I like aggressive work outs too.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I prefer hot yoga over yoga and kick boxing over boxing.

Agreed!
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love kickboxing. I'm way too fidgety for yoga (maybe that's why I need to do it more?!)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    as a guy id rather do yoga for the flexibility aspects of it. boxing would be fun but if i was going down that route id rather do a more complete self defense type of training like krav maga.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    I love kickboxing. I'm way too fidgety for yoga (maybe that's why I need to do it more?!)
    LOL - Maybe it could help you. This could be my problem too - can't calm my mind for that long. **SQUIRREL**
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    As a woman, a lot of people tell me I need to/should do yoga. A good friend of mine is a Yogi and even did private sessions with me (God bless her). The problem is that I just don't like it. It's not for me. I gave it my all - an honest effort. I get it. I see the benefits, but .... MEH. :indifferent:

I enjoy boxing. :happy: Beating that bag like it stole my lunch money is MY zen. Getting rhythm with a speed bag, putting a face on it & punching the **** out of it! Now, THAT'S RELEASE! OHHHHHMMMMM. Namaste beaatch! :happy:

Which do you prefer? Calming, fluid activities or beating the stuffing out of something? Maybe even a little of both?

I always advocate people to do a workout they would enjoy doing. Ensures that they will continue to do it for a long time. I personally LOVE boxing and if I had a choice, I will continue doing it. I was good friends with Claressa Shields (first female boxing gold medalist in the world) and her coach. I got trained by Joe Byrd (father and coach of Chris Byrd, World Boxing Champion and Olympian). They taught me a lot and I loved every minute of it.

Boxing is extremely relaxing to me because it takes my mind off of things. If I did yoga, most of the time will be spent thinking other things and thats somethign I wanna avoid when I workout.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like heavy bag work while watching women do yoga.

Double pump.

^ This. I find my zen at the end of a run or at the end of a heavy bag session. Weight lifting and watching women do yoga get me going.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to intermingle the two and just beat up your yoga instructor?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't find yoga as stress-relieving as adrenaline-pumping exercises like lifting weights or running. I have the attention span of a kitten, and yoga requires more focus than I have.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to intermingle the two and just beat up your yoga instructor?

tumblr_mf12porg851rhvd32o1_400.gif