Yoga vs Boxing

Options

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    it's really hard to silence my mind. that being said, i *would* like to get more into yoga/pilates...

but i LOVE boxing. i do it 2-3 time a week now.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other." -- Jack Handy
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to intermingle the two and just beat up your yoga instructor?

It's a good thought but she's my buddy & we typically would go out for a beer or two after our session. I try to not let any work out (even the urge to punch) get in the way of that.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other." -- Jack Handy

Truer words were never spoken.
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    For me personally, I would rather beat the crap out of something than do yoga...
  • Agent_GP
    Options
    I personally enjoy both! Though I do cardio kickboxing much more frequent then yoga. I use yoga for when I'm too tired to do something like cardio or want to work out but need something relaxing.

After yoga I don't feel like I've gotten a great calorie burning work out, but I do feel loose, relaxed, and energized.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a yoga instructor, and I have tried yoga with her and I HATE it. It's soooooooo boring. Plus it makes me feel sick to my stomach with all the upside down and back up stuff.

I LOVE kickboxing though, and I brought her to a class with me and she hated it. She said it made her feel sick to her stomach.

Different strokes for different body types I guess.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    My best friend is a yoga instructor, and I have tried yoga with her and I HATE it. It's soooooooo boring. Plus it makes me feel sick to my stomach with all the upside down and back up stuff.

I LOVE kickboxing though, and I brought her to a class with me and she hated it. She said it made her feel sick to her stomach.

Different strokes for different body types I guess.

^^ Exactly! I've asked my instructor friend to come over and box w/me. Not happening. ...and I'm still p/o'd she made me do some ridiculous wheel technique! WTH!!!
  • I compromise the two and do boxing while wearing yoga pants.
  • gfroniewski
    Options
    Damn, the fact that this thread is about what is better "for a woman" yoga or boxing blows my mind. I don't even know where to begin! I thought you were AGAINST perpetuating sexist ideals?
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I like cardio boxing. :) We have a light bag that I like to work on at home and it's exhausting, a great workout, and fun to get into with a fast upbeat soundtrack. If someone were to put on relaxing music and ask me to lay on the floor, 9 times out of 10 I would fall dead asleep! :)
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    Damn, the fact that this thread is about what is better "for a woman" yoga or boxing blows my mind. I don't even know where to begin! I thought you were AGAINST perpetuating sexist ideals?
    Is that what you think this is about? Really? Read again and if you still don't get it....feel free to PM me. I'll help you along.
    -Feminist Boxer
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    I like cardio boxing. :) We have a light bag that I like to work on at home and it's exhausting, a great workout, and fun to get into with a fast upbeat soundtrack. If someone were to put on relaxing music and ask me to lay on the floor, 9 times out of 10 I would fall dead asleep! :)
    ^^ hahaha - I get that. I respect Yoga & people who benefit from it but....I'm the same way
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    My favorites are kickboxing and zumba. I do yoga for flexibility and stretching, but I have discovered that around 25 minutes is my maximum.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Of those 2 choices, I would say boxing, hands down. Yoga is so...gawd awful boring. IMHO. I work on flexibility elsewhere.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Both.... we need the yin and yang in our lives. In Yoga it's called stira and sukha. Basically even the most dedicated power yogis need to hit those restorative classes sometimes. We need balance which is both sides.....
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Of those 2 choices, I would say boxing, hands down. Yoga is so...gawd awful boring. IMHO. I work on flexibility elsewhere.

You must have never been to a power vinyasa class.... it is so much more that working on flexibility
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I box AT LEAST 3 times a week. Boxing is the one of the BEST workouts and biggest stress relievers I have ever had, and I always feel better/accomplished once I've finished a class.

With that being said, I would love to try yoga. At the moment I can't afford to do both and I prefer boxing, but I definitely need something to help with my flexibility since I am always so tight/sore after a weeks worth of boxing. I know other women that I box with also do yoga :smile:
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've done Cage Fitness and loved it. It's a blast to be aggressive with a bag and take out the day's frustrations. I tried heavy bag work but since I dont really know what I am doing I feel kind of silly.
    Yoga, meh.....i'm not bend-y, probably cause I dont like yoga and I dont like yoga cause I'm not bend-y. Catch 22. But it's really too slow for me. I find my mind wandering-oh look, there's a fly in the gym-and then I miss the next pose. Blah.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure she asked which individuals prefer, not which is better.