3 weeks in and I've just about had enough :-(

Options

Replies

• amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know it's not rocket science but I'm far from sedentary. I climb up and down ladders and roofs for 9 hours a day. Hardly sedentary is it?

it's not rocket science- change your eating habits. eat healthier foods and stop drinking pop.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are eating a lot. A lot of it is straight carbs - soda, jam, etc. Your body responds to that with an insulin spike and stores it directly as fat.
    No.

Just ... no.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your food? I know with your diary open people are going to nit pick and say "oh, bad you, you ate doritos" etc, but it really shouldn't matter WHAT you eat, how high your sodium is, etc but just the calories for weight loss. You do want to make sure you get enough protein to make sure you're losing mostly fat and preserving as much muscle as you can. If you don't weigh/measure your food, I'd start there. Sara and SS in this group are awesome and if you ask them for help and answer all of their questions, they give great advice imo http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • mrandmrsd2004
    Options
    dont give up you could just be gaining muscle turning fat you losing to solid muscle did you know what your bmi was when you started
  • Wood1967
    Options
    Working in an office, I have found that MOST of what I am ordering from local restaurants has hidden calories or foods making weight loss harder. A veggie burger might have been toasted with butter or worse. A grilled chicken may be grilled in the same. The liquid butter some places use would make your head spin if you read the label. Mayo on a roll, BBQ sauce, all that stuff can jack your calories up. I had the same issues at first, I now watch every last ingrediant going into my meal, only then did I start putting ALL calories into the log. The healthiest of foods can sometimes be hurting you if all ingrediants aren't accounted for. Don't give up, tweek what you are doing until you find something that works. It can and will happen. I am almost 50 pounds lighter from Feb 26th. My blood pressure is now near perfect and big biggest problem is finding clothes that fit!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I know it's not rocket science but I'm far from sedentary. I climb up and down ladders and roofs for 9 hours a day. Hardly sedentary is it?

it's not rocket science- change your eating habits. eat healthier foods and stop drinking pop.

Soda doesn't determine if you gain or lose weight.

OP, eat back only half of your exercise calories, as perhaps your burns are over estimated. Do that for three weeks, report back. Ignore everything else about building muscle, setting as sedentary, and dropping carbs.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    dont give up you could just be gaining muscle turning fat you losing to solid muscle did you know what your bmi was when you started

^^No.

You do not gain muscle on a caloric deficit.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Lies people tell themselves to justify not losing weight...
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it's probably due to the calorie cycling you have going on.

Every other day you seem to be under your calories by a thousand, and then the next day over your calories by similar amounts. While this doesn't actually affect fat loss provided you are coming up with a deficit every week, the scale is definitely NOT the best way to measure weight loss.

If you want to see very consistent weight loss every week then you're going to have to stick to your calorie goal every single day and watch your sodium intake.

If I cycled like that I wouldn't expect to see a loss except at the end of every month.
  • witmer1
    Options

No. Fat cannot turn into muscle.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are eating a lot. A lot of it is straight carbs - soda, jam, etc. Your body responds to that with an insulin spike and stores it directly as fat. It's the worst stuff you can eat unless you really need immediate energy because you are doing things like backpacking or running marathons.

If this was even remotely true then how did I lose the weight I have eating 50% of my calories from Carbs?? and I might add I am a type 2 diabetic....... I do not demonize food into groups of good or bad, I have taken the approach of Keep it simple stupid and I track my caloric intake and watch my Macros beyond that I got my *kitten* moving and kept a modest calorie deficit...... OP may I ask if you are measuring and weighing out your food??
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

^^No.

And let's not even get started on the muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. How can something weigh more than anything else? I mean honestly. A pound equals a pound equals a pound. Unless you're on another planet.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I needs carbs though - I'm diabetic :-(

carbs and sugar are bad for a diabetic aren't they?

This is not entirely true....... I am type 2 diabetic and I must monitor my intake of carbohydrates but they do make up 50% of my macros. I tend to stay away from enriched white flours but eat my fair share of whole grains and my A1c have dropped from 10.0 4 years ago to averaging 5.3 the past 2 years....
  • witmer1
    Options
    I did try this the second week but the general advice is I'm not eating enough

You're not eating enough to lose weight is quite the oxymoron. I see you've closed your diary, so I can't really help here. You're getting defensive over the help and you don't want to listen to the truth. You're making excuses. Carbs and sugars are bad for diabetics. You're insulted by using the sedentary setting and not really listening to the advice here.

I wish you luck. Losing weight isn't hard to figure out. It can be hard to stick to. Discipline and honesty to yourself are key. When you really want it, you'll listen to the advice and you'll do it. Until then, you'll struggle. I hate to be negative here, but you need to want it. I went through the stage you're in. I didn't want to listen. I thought I knew it all. Hell, I still don't know it all, but look below my post at my progress bar. I know enough to get me where I am. I'd love to help, but you have to want it.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    THE RACE DOESN'T GO TO THE SWIFT NOR THE STRONG BUT THE ONE WHO ENDURES.

:love: I'm putting this on my motivation wall!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are eating a lot. A lot of it is straight carbs - soda, jam, etc. Your body responds to that with an insulin spike and stores it directly as fat.
    No.

Just ... no.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/how-carbs-can-trigger-food-cravings/

I could give you a lot of other references too. Carbs are not evil. They are not the enemy. But they can be problematic in high percent of your calorie intake and are particularly problematic in easily digested forms like liquid (soda) and sucrose (jam).
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    In fact 1 pound of anything is 1 pound. Muscle does not weigh more then fat, its just distributed throughout your body differently. Muscles are dense and compressed, where fat is scattered in large masses thru your body, so while it seems muscle weighs more an fat, it doesn't.

Much of the time when you exercise you are building muscles and muscles weight more than fat, but you should lose inches.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

^^No.

And let's not even get started on the muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. How can something weigh more than anything else? I mean honestly. A pound equals a pound equals a pound. Unless you're on another planet.

A pound of fat covers a larger surface area than a pound of muscle