Dubstep.

13»

Replies

• tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    I love dubstep.

Anything that makes me think of futuristic cyborgs makes me happy.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I used to hate it, but I'm slowly coming around and starting to enjoy it. It's kind of become like country for me. There are some songs that come along that I really appreciate and will listen too, but its not my main genre for music or anything.

I am loving some Lindsey Stirling playing violin with dubstep in the background.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    I don't like it. It's too much like jazz and has no melody or continuity (just my opinion). My boyfriend keeps trying to sway me into liking it. It's not happening. I prefer trip hop and electronica stuff like Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, RJD2, Thievery Corporation, etc.

Can I just clear up the fact that in no way is Dubstep like jazz. That's all.

A-frikkin-men. I about spit out my tea when I read that.

I am not the original poster of this statement, but I *think* that what they meant was "I don't like it. It's too much like jazz [IN THAT IT] has no melody or continuity (just my opinion)."

I don't think they meant that it *sounded* like Jazz at all, just that the structure (seemingly lack of melody or continuity) was similar to them.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. And I'm sure that someone will comment about how freestyle Jazz does indeed have structure and continuity and will go on a passionate rant about it. :smile:

ETA: Apparently a Jazz fan already has posted. Sorry I didn't see it before.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    I don't like it. It's too much like jazz and has no melody or continuity (just my opinion). My boyfriend keeps trying to sway me into liking it. It's not happening. I prefer trip hop and electronica stuff like Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, RJD2, Thievery Corporation, etc.

I'm third-ing this. I appreciate both but jazz musicians are extremely talented whereas anyone and everyone can make dubstep, I have loads of friends who do and can't play a single instrument. There's no doubt there's a certain amount of talent involved but nowhere near the skill and musicianship of jazz musician and the music they make.

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a musician. Musicians don't necessarily have to play instruments.

You don't have to be good to play jazz, either.

One does not require more skill or musicianship than the other.

Anybody with a pencil and paper can make art. Anyone with at least one finger can sit at a piano and play jazz. Or dubstep.

Just because someone does not appreciate (or recognize) the skill that goes into making electronic music doesn't mean that they are not musicians.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Just like with any genre of music i like some songs
  • helps me fall to sleep at night

Hahahahaha!

I like Dubstep especially Skrillex, he's just the best in my opinion but I had to stop listening to it because it kept playing in my head afterwards and It was starting to drive me nuts. I still listen to it sometimes, nothing sounds better turned up real friggin loud than "Cat Rats" or "Bangarang!".
  • I don't like it. It's too much like jazz and has no melody or continuity (just my opinion). My boyfriend keeps trying to sway me into liking it. It's not happening. I prefer trip hop and electronica stuff like Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, RJD2, Thievery Corporation, etc.

I'm third-ing this. I appreciate both but jazz musicians are extremely talented whereas anyone and everyone can make dubstep, I have loads of friends who do and can't play a single instrument. There's no doubt there's a certain amount of talent involved but nowhere near the skill and musicianship of jazz musician and the music they make.

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a musician. Musicians don't necessarily have to play instruments.

Anybody with a pencil and paper can make art. Anyone with at least one finger can sit at a piano and play jazz. Or dubstep.

Just because someone does not appreciate (or recognize) the skill that goes into making electronic music doesn't mean that they are not musicians.

Very true and their are some great Dubstep artists out there that create some beautiful music, it's not as easy as one might think just because you can do it on a computer. Try it Mr. " anyone and everyone can make dubstep," and lets hear what your crap sounds like.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member

yeah exactly. it's higher-level, post-hands stuff

& not to be a jerk, but jazz tends to attract more disciples than it does innovators afaic
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    I absolutely love UKF's August dubstep mix. Deadmau5 is good as well as Skrillex. What I don't like is how alot of artists try to put dubstep in their music when it just doesn't go well. Alot of songs are messed up because they had to squeeze some dubstep in there. It's not for everyone.