heart rate almost triples when walking is this normal.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Have you been in a situation recently where you were sitting down for a long period of time, like on a plane ride or long road trip for example? Or are you on birth control pills? If so, I’d consider the possibility of pulmonary embolism. Atrial Fibrillation would be my next guess. Keep in close communication with your doctor and keep a journal of symptoms/activities/HR readings, it will be useful to show to your doctor.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Also, a blood pressure machine. You can buy one at a drug store for about $50 and they’re automatic and easy to use. I had to take my mom’s a couple of times a day before she went into the nursing home. It’s another piece of info to take to your doctor. If your BP is normal when your heart rate is up that high, that can be something to tell your doc; if you can get a read when it’s high.

I cant afford $50 to be honest.

Your doc can prescribe one and you can get it for less—like a copay. My mom and dad’s docs were way more concerned about bp than spikes in hr.

Hope you’re back to your normal soon! :heart:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited July 2018
    peleroja wrote: »
    Do you think your Fitbit might be inaccurate? Do you physically feel like your heartrate has shot up that high when it does? Have you taken your pulse manually to check these results? Just throwing it out there since that's definitely quite extreme.

My heartrate when I'm sitting around is also high 50s/low 60s, and I can push it up to about 90/100 with a brisk enough walk, but I need to be running for ten minutes at least or cycling up a huge hill to get it anywhere near 170, and when it's that high I can definitely tell, so I'm just wondering if it might be the equipment, since we all know that the optical trackers like Fitbit, while useful, can certainly malfunction or not work perfectly.

Other people have offered better advice about what to do if it IS really happening, but I just thought I'd bring it up since no one else had that I saw.

yes I mentioned in a past reply or even my post tht I did it manually. this time I walked a bit slower and it said 140 and I came in and sat down and gave it the 2 min and it was back down to 71. I dont feel like its that high. when I do a workout I feel it when it gets over 120. so its possible for some reason maybe its not picking up correctly? I dont know

that's pretty normal for me, but I have a very high maxHR.
    I would probably first check the tech. Maybe something is off there. Then... an infection of sorts that's dragging on? POTs?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    The same thing happens to me. My resting heart rate is high 50s to 60s. If I walk 4.0 mph on the treadmill it goes up to 170 ish. My doctor says I am fine too.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Do you actually FEEL like your heart rate is triple its resting pace? Are you sweating, out of breath, unable to speak in full sentences? I have gone through half a dozen different heart rate detecting devices in my life, and I've had some crazy read outs. Agree that you should definitely speak to a doctor but also wanted to call out that not every HRM is accurate 100% of the time. If you wear the chest strap one and you've lost weight, it could be slipping down and giving you a wonky number--that's definitely happened to me. HR went from 130 to 201 and the next thing you know, my chest strap was a belt!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Have you been in a situation recently where you were sitting down for a long period of time, like on a plane ride or long road trip for example? Or are you on birth control pills? If so, I’d consider the possibility of pulmonary embolism. Atrial Fibrillation would be my next guess. Keep in close communication with your doctor and keep a journal of symptoms/activities/HR readings, it will be useful to show to your doctor.

no I dont sit for long periods of time. I have to walk the dogs often,mess with the cat who adopted us lol and do housework, I walk to town often, I try and get more than 10k steps a day so Im pretty active. Im on birth control pills but have been for years its to keep my periods regular and helps with the cysts I get. keeps them down otherwise I end up with really heavy bleeding. they have done exrays and other tests on my lungs. again nothing was found. I dont have afib. Ive had enough tests to rule that out because it can happen with MVP and I dont have afib with mine.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Do you actually FEEL like your heart rate is triple its resting pace? Are you sweating, out of breath, unable to speak in full sentences? I have gone through half a dozen different heart rate detecting devices in my life, and I've had some crazy read outs. Agree that you should definitely speak to a doctor but also wanted to call out that not every HRM is accurate 100% of the time. If you wear the chest strap one and you've lost weight, it could be slipping down and giving you a wonky number--that's definitely happened to me. HR went from 130 to 201 and the next thing you know, my chest strap was a belt!

NO, I can still talk,Im not out of breath,I sweat normally but thats because the humidity here is NUTS. but if its cool I dont sweat too much. nothing out of the ordinary for me. and as for the chest strap Im not wearing that. havent used that one in a few years but just put new batteries in the watch so going to try that when I go on my walks to see what it shows.

The chest strap is adjustable so it wont fall down. Im using my fitbit and up til now its been working fine. Thats why Im going to try the polar with the chest strap just to see if I get numbers anywhere close to what fitbit is showing. the more data I have the better. this way if the polar is showing that the numbers are NOT that high then its possible my fitbit is wonky.I didnt know my heart rate on my fitbit was reading that high. my pit mix often times has me almost jogging but still to me that shouldnt make my heart rate high like that when its a chore to get it up high doing purposeful exercise. the highest with exericise in the past was 165. and that was a full on workout and I exerted myself extremely.

so I dont know. if its the fitbit then in the trash it goes. if the polar shows the same then I will call and leave a message with my drs nurse so they can hopefully get things to go faster with the testing. and maybe be seen or something.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Also, a blood pressure machine. You can buy one at a drug store for about $50 and they’re automatic and easy to use. I had to take my mom’s a couple of times a day before she went into the nursing home. It’s another piece of info to take to your doctor. If your BP is normal when your heart rate is up that high, that can be something to tell your doc; if you can get a read when it’s high.

I cant afford $50 to be honest.

Your doc can prescribe one and you can get it for less—like a copay. My mom and dad’s docs were way more concerned about bp than spikes in hr.

Hope you’re back to your normal soon! :heart:

my insurance only covers certain things. but will find out if it covers that or not. since I dont have issues with BP they probably wont cover it,drs orders or not.They had stopped covering some of my past meds for certain things and I had to go on something else.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited July 2018
    so sitting here and looked at my heart rate on my fitbit and then checked it manually and its spot on.(I was a cna so I learned how to take it also in the neck(over the carotid artery).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

NO, I can still talk,Im not out of breath,I sweat normally but thats because the humidity here is NUTS. but if its cool I dont sweat too much. nothing out of the ordinary for me. and as for the chest strap Im not wearing that. havent used that one in a few years but just put new batteries in the watch so going to try that when I go on my walks to see what it shows.

The chest strap is adjustable so it wont fall down. Im using my fitbit and up til now its been working fine. Thats why Im going to try the polar with the chest strap just to see if I get numbers anywhere close to what fitbit is showing. the more data I have the better. this way if the polar is showing that the numbers are NOT that high then its possible my fitbit is wonky.I didnt know my heart rate on my fitbit was reading that high. my pit mix often times has me almost jogging but still to me that shouldnt make my heart rate high like that when its a chore to get it up high doing purposeful exercise. the highest with exericise in the past was 165. and that was a full on workout and I exerted myself extremely.

so I dont know. if its the fitbit then in the trash it goes. if the polar shows the same then I will call and leave a message with my drs nurse so they can hopefully get things to go faster with the testing. and maybe be seen or something.

Unusual heat and humidity or any environmental stressors can cause temporary jumps in elevated heart rate.

There's also the element that if your HR was elevating, you were now aware of this and concerned with it - this may cause a cascade and elevate HR further.

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited July 2018
    Forgive me if you already addressed this but is it relatively short term so far? When my HR goes wonky high for easy effort it generally means I'm over-trained and need to take a couple of days off exercise or that I'm fighting off an infection and/or coming down with something. Just my experience.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Forgive me if you already addressed this but is it relatively short term so far? When my HR goes wonky high for easy effort it generally means I'm over-trained and need to take a couple of days off exercise or that I'm fighting off an infection and/or coming down with something. Just my experience.

nope Im not over training I work out maybe 3 days a week and its never over an hr a day. most of the time its walking and most days I try to get at least 10k steps. some days Im under and very few IM over.never over 14k. Im not coming down with anything and dont have any infections. but it is short term as I looked back at the data and it was lower than 170s most of the time. between 120s and 150s. I was working out more often but I cant seem to keep my self motivated other than walking and doing housework, and walking just to get out once in awhile.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited July 2018
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Unusual heat and humidity or any environmental stressors can cause temporary jumps in elevated heart rate.

There's also the element that if your HR was elevating, you were now aware of this and concerned with it - this may cause a cascade and elevate HR further.

I had no idea it was elevated to that degree until yesterday when I was checking the time and it come up on the HR. when I posted this I went back and looked at the past heart rate readings and for over a week now it shows 170s. but not all the time. most days and times its 120s to 150s which still may be high. but I do have times it shows a spike that high and peaks there for about 2-3 min. then it goes down a little.(140s-160s) but once I get into the house it slows down and quickly. I can go from 150 to 80 in less than 2 min time for example.

it comes down quickly.I havent changed what I eat or drink,Im not doing anything else differently. not taking anything different. But now that I think of it I had to take an allergy pill(prescribed calritin NOT claritin D) yesterday which may have caused the elevation(hadnt taken any in days) but the elevation wasnt there every time I walked, not that high anyway.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    McCrabby wrote: »
    I'm like this too.. nothing has shown up as abnormal in doctor visits/tests. Does your doctor seem concerned? I would go by that reaction.

I am also like this. When I was in school for my allied health profession, we had to do pretend rehab sessions. When walking the treadmill, my heart rate shot up. This caused all kinds of panic, I was sent to the ER, several STAT tests were performed, and...nothing. Cardiologist said "Some people are just this way, and you're one of them."
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    evileen99 wrote: »
    McCrabby wrote: »
    I'm like this too.. nothing has shown up as abnormal in doctor visits/tests. Does your doctor seem concerned? I would go by that reaction.

I am also like this. When I was in school for my allied health profession, we had to do pretend rehab sessions. When walking the treadmill, my heart rate shot up. This caused all kinds of panic, I was sent to the ER, several STAT tests were performed, and...nothing. Cardiologist said "Some people are just this way, and you're one of them."

its possible I am but Id rather let the drs know to be on the safe side.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I was out walking this evening(I had to go shopping so walked the dogs when I got home) and the highest my pulse got was 120.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    so sitting here and looked at my heart rate on my fitbit and then checked it manually and its spot on.(I was a cna so I learned how to take it also in the neck(over the carotid artery).

I was going to ask about this, have you checked it manually when it was super high?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have a theory. If you are having low blood pressure moments your heart might be racing to compensate during exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have a theory. If you are having low blood pressure moments your heart might be racing to compensate during exercise.

my low blood pressure is when I go to the dr I dont know if its at any other time as I dont have a way to really tell. But even with that I have no symptoms
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Since you're open for suggestions and we're just surmising, I lean towards lungs. I didn't know you had asthma until you said so but that was my first instinct.

"In the case of asthma, your lung volume, capacities, and flow rates are compromised and can affect your exercise. This could indirectly affect your heart rate because asthma might cause a lower amount of oxygen in the blood stream, so the heart cardiac output will be higher to combat this."