heart rate almost triples when walking is this normal.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Since you're open for suggestions and we're just surmising, I lean towards lungs. I didn't know you had asthma until you said so but that was my first instinct.

"In the case of asthma, your lung volume, capacities, and flow rates are compromised and can affect your exercise. This could indirectly affect your heart rate because asthma might cause a lower amount of oxygen in the blood stream, so the heart cardiac output will be higher to combat this."

I mean it could be but my lung capacity like I said improved greatly over the last few years since Im more active. I have no issues with wheezing,being short of breath or anything like that as long as I am on my maintenance inhaler. my asthma has improved also because I am also on a lower dose of maintenance mediction than I was before and doing great. I know before I was on maintenance meds I was always in and out of the ER,taking nebulizer treatments often and my lips were always discolored and my skin pale.

I knew when I was short of breath and not getting enough oxygen. I came close to dying a few times. But being honest here I dont feel like its my lungs because I can get in more air than before as well. I can even do a slow jog or even do cardio workouts and still talk through my workouts,even working out vigorously. .I think its something else causing the spikes and not sure what it could be. I also didnt take a loratadine(generic claritin) and I had NO spike today. But I read that decongestants can raise blood pressure and heart rate but this one isnt a decongestant and I dont take them often either.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Also, a blood pressure machine. You can buy one at a drug store for about $50 and they’re automatic and easy to use. I had to take my mom’s a couple of times a day before she went into the nursing home. It’s another piece of info to take to your doctor. If your BP is normal when your heart rate is up that high, that can be something to tell your doc; if you can get a read when it’s high.

I cant afford $50 to be honest.

I have to monitor mine now and can’t really afford one either right now so I’ve been using the one at the local drug store a few times a week and recording it.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited July 2018
    https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/elevated-heart-rate-most-likely-caused-by-medical-condition/

"We see patients who are concerned because their heart rate stays elevated in the range of 100 to 130 beats per minute. Almost always, there is a medical reason that the sinus node keeps signaling for the faster rate. Possibilities include anemia, an underlying infection, elevated thyroid hormone, or reaction to medication. Addressing those conditions would likely bring the heart rate back to a normal rate. Other factors may be involved, too, such as overdoing caffeine. For example, I saw one patient who was eating several chocolate bars a day. The caffeine in the chocolate was elevating her heart rate."
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Also, a blood pressure machine. You can buy one at a drug store for about $50 and they’re automatic and easy to use. I had to take my mom’s a couple of times a day before she went into the nursing home. It’s another piece of info to take to your doctor. If your BP is normal when your heart rate is up that high, that can be something to tell your doc; if you can get a read when it’s high.

I cant afford $50 to be honest.

I have to monitor mine now and can’t really afford one either right now so I’ve been using the one at the local drug store a few times a week and recording it.

our local drug store doesnt have one to use. its a small town drug store. cvs may have one but thats 10 miles one way and a long walk(no vehicle and no public transportation
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    annaskiski wrote: »
    https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/elevated-heart-rate-most-likely-caused-by-medical-condition/

"We see patients who are concerned because their heart rate stays elevated in the range of 100 to 130 beats per minute. Almost always, there is a medical reason that the sinus node keeps signaling for the faster rate. Possibilities include anemia, an underlying infection, elevated thyroid hormone, or reaction to medication. Addressing those conditions would likely bring the heart rate back to a normal rate. Other factors may be involved, too, such as overdoing caffeine. For example, I saw one patient who was eating several chocolate bars a day. The caffeine in the chocolate was elevating her heart rate."

Im not anemic,I dont have an infection,thyroid levels are fine as for reaction to meds it may be but I have to be on those meds. and as for the caffeine. I usually have one drink with caffeine a day.I dont eat a lot of chocolate due to my GERD. but I had a bai supertea today for my caffeine which its low in caffeine. I stopped drinking hot coffee due to haing issues with gastritis off and on so I avoid hot coffee altogether.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    so I tried out my chest strap and polar watch. the highest it showed was like 120bpm. I looked at the data for the exercise and the highest mfp showed was 157, yet when I checked it often it was within 5-10 bpm(fitbit was of course higher) .so will test it again later to see what results I get and compare the 2. Im starting to think that the fitbit is either way off at times or picking up possible spikes but wouldnt the chest strap be more accurate?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    It could be something else, like lungs. Find a good one, cardiopulmonary.

even with asthma lungs are fine. I take a corticosteroid to prevent flare ups and with exercise over the last 5 years my lung function has improved greatly to where I rarely need my rescue inhaler. before then I needed it even with the preventative several times a day. my health seems to be improving which is weird.Im feeling better and my blood panels have improved as well. Im on a low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet due to my FH(familial hypercholesterolemia) and its good too. but with my past issues she wants me to see a cardiologist just to rule things out. I even did a holt monitor awhile back and it was fine. Ive seen pulmonologist and been tested. tests are great no breathing issues,

How long did you wear your Holter monitor for?

When I was having palpitations, my doctor couldn't find anything and referred me to the cardiologist. I wore a monitor for two weeks and it did show spikes every few days, so a 24 hour test wouldn't necessarily have showed anything.

Minor abnormalities also showed up on the echocardiogram.

Part of the problem was that my anemia had gotten out of control. After fixing that and taking a low dose of a beta blocker, my palpitations occur much less frequently.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It could be something else, like lungs. Find a good one, cardiopulmonary.

even with asthma lungs are fine. I take a corticosteroid to prevent flare ups and with exercise over the last 5 years my lung function has improved greatly to where I rarely need my rescue inhaler. before then I needed it even with the preventative several times a day. my health seems to be improving which is weird.Im feeling better and my blood panels have improved as well. Im on a low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet due to my FH(familial hypercholesterolemia) and its good too. but with my past issues she wants me to see a cardiologist just to rule things out. I even did a holt monitor awhile back and it was fine. Ive seen pulmonologist and been tested. tests are great no breathing issues,

How long did you wear your Holter monitor for?

When I was having palpitations, my doctor couldn't find anything and referred me to the cardiologist. I wore a monitor for two weeks and it did show spikes every few days, so a 24 hour test wouldn't necessarily have showed anything.

Minor abnormalities also showed up on the echocardiogram.

Part of the problem was that my anemia had gotten out of control. After fixing that and taking a low dose of a beta blocker, my palpitations occur much less frequently.

I wore it for I think 48 hrs? they only do it longer if other issues show up. again the joys of having crappy insurance. as for anemia I am not anemic.Im waiting on my appt for the cardiologist but like I said it can take a few months to get one scheduled. I have had palpitations in the past,they cant find a reason for them either. they said it can be the mvp but yet the echo showed it supposedly healed itself.

Ive had a few stints where they started happening again(started in march and ended sometime the beginning on june) I went to the dr then because it felt like at times my heart would drop in my chest. I know sounds stupid. they hooked me up to the EKG machine for awhile while I was having them and they werent picking up on them. I havent had any again since they stopped. I try to see if certain foods or other things cause them and I cant find any correlation thats causing it. all blood tests are good, electrolytes are good. Im not anemic, I dont have a thyroid issue,Im not diabetic,I dont have low blood sugar.

I am supposed to get another monitor done now but its only for 24 hrs. even with exercise last time it showed nothing. there isnt a whole lot I can do unless I start having other symptoms,then its either the clinic during normal hours or the ER. which so far I have not needed. to see my dr I have to make another appt and it may be a month before I can get in due to her not being in often(she splits time at other offices and clinics in the area). But for now Im keeping track of it and im thinking it may be that the fitbit is having fits. But hard to tell at this point. Im also trying to watch what I eat ,and I havent had an allergy pill today either. trying to see if certain things I take cause it or not.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Position-sitting to standing those with postural Orthostatic tachycardia (including myself) can have pretty significant HR spikes just from standing up (50-60bpm sleeping, 60-65bpm laying down, 110bpm just from standing upright being "normal"), walking briskly 130-150bpm. It's compensation from low BP upon standing (lack of vasoconstrictive reflexes in legs) leads to higher HR from low blood supply/low resistance

Just one variable amongst many for BP, go see a cardiologist, GPs potentially mis-dx
    Beta agonists for asthma can also contribute...esp. overdoing rescue doses, not waiting 1 minute in between puffs, etc. as well as pseudo ephedrine
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I have a burning question but I will sit on it and wait for the official diagnosis. I hope you find out soon.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited July 2018
    Position-sitting to standing those with postural Orthostatic tachycardia (including myself) can have pretty significant HR spikes just from standing up (50-60bpm sleeping, 60-65bpm laying down, 110bpm just from standing upright being "normal"), walking briskly 130-150bpm. It's compensation from low BP upon standing (lack of vasoconstrictive reflexes in legs) leads to higher HR from low blood supply/low resistance

Just one variable amongst many for BP, go see a cardiologist, GPs potentially mis-dx
    Beta agonists for asthma can also contribute...esp. overdoing rescue doses, not waiting 1 minute in between puffs, etc. as well as pseudo ephedrine

if I stand up it doesnt spike much goes from 68-80 if that. it doest spike all at once either. it takes a bit of time walking before it spikes.I am going to see a cardiologist when my referral goes through and I get an appt. for my rescue inhaler I take maybe one puff once a week.so I know its not that.its not something I take every day.so Im not overdoing the dose. I also dont take anything with pseudo ephedrine in it. I read labels to make sure and here you have to show ID to buy anything with it in. I dont do that so I dont buy it. I cant have meds with pseudoephedrine because of my issue and it interacts with some of my meds. My allergy meds dont have decongestants in them.

trust me Im looking at foods,meds,vitamins and things that may cause it. most things I have been on for years and never had an issue. I know things can crop up over time though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I have a burning question but I will sit on it and wait for the official diagnosis. I hope you find out soon.

better ask now as it may be months down the road before I get a diagnosis.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Make sure you see a cardiologist just to get everything checked out. It might be normal for you or it might be something else but a cardiologist could determine what's happening.
    I will share that I experienced something similar. While working out, my heart rate climbed to 210 on my heart rate monitor. I felt a little light headed so I made an appointment with a cardiologist. She determined I have SVT which is basically a heart rate which climbs quickly. It's very easily treated with medication?
    Please let us know what you find out after your appointment!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    I can't. So you will have to read my mind from afar. We all want you to get in there. cowboy1-smiley.gif?1292867576.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    fittocycle wrote: »
    Make sure you see a cardiologist just to get everything checked out. It might be normal for you or it might be something else but a cardiologist could determine what's happening.
    I will share that I experienced something similar. While working out, my heart rate climbed to 210 on my heart rate monitor. I felt a little light headed so I made an appointment with a cardiologist. She determined I have SVT which is basically a heart rate which climbs quickly. It's very easily treated with medication?
    Please let us know what you find out after your appointment!

as in past posts I am going to see a cardiologist as soon as I get an appt. I have to be referred so Im waiting for my referral to go through. I dont get light headed or anything. I walked again a few minutes ago as I took the dogs out. and my fitbit said 143 but my polar with chest strap said 121. so my fitbit is reading at times 20-30 bpm more. at one point the polar said 87 and the fitibt said 117. my heart rate max for the polar both times is 120-121. the fitbit says 150 max.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I can't. So you will have to read my mind from afar. We all want you to get in there. cowboy1-smiley.gif?1292867576.

if you mean night time activities those kinds of things arent happening very often, its rare. I have no drive TMI I know,but cant say if heart rate goes up during then or not as if it doesnt happen then theres no data lol
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    I didn't go through all replies but this seems to be POTS. I have POTS and my pulse more than doubles when I'm standing and walking. I was diagnosed and prescribed a beta blocker which saved the day.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Ok so I have noticed that in the last month or so my heart rate when resting is around 60-65 which for me can vary. at times its in the 50s which has been the case for the last 3 years or more. had all kinds of tests and drs can find nothing wrong. I was told I had MVP(mitral valve prolapse) t the last tests I had done showed it somehow healed itself? (i was told it can only be fixed by surgery) more than one dr confirmed it.

anyway now when I walk a faster pace(like walking the dog) today my heart rate shot up to 177bpm(fitbit) I manually checked it and it was correct. I cannot even get my heart rate up that high when working out in the house. could it have something to do with the heat and humidity?? I have no other symptoms no chest pain, no dizziness,no nausea or vomiting, no headache, nothing. usually it takes me a hell of an effort to get it to 150 so what gives? I have no issues getting it to come back down to normal either.

You probably need to see a cardiologist. Hugs
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Ok so I have noticed that in the last month or so my heart rate when resting is around 60-65 which for me can vary. at times its in the 50s which has been the case for the last 3 years or more. had all kinds of tests and drs can find nothing wrong. I was told I had MVP(mitral valve prolapse) t the last tests I had done showed it somehow healed itself? (i was told it can only be fixed by surgery) more than one dr confirmed it.

anyway now when I walk a faster pace(like walking the dog) today my heart rate shot up to 177bpm(fitbit) I manually checked it and it was correct. I cannot even get my heart rate up that high when working out in the house. could it have something to do with the heat and humidity?? I have no other symptoms no chest pain, no dizziness,no nausea or vomiting, no headache, nothing. usually it takes me a hell of an effort to get it to 150 so what gives? I have no issues getting it to come back down to normal either.

Ask dr again to refer you to a cardiologist. Too many woman have died from drs ignoring their heart complaints. Get a second opinion if your dr does not get you referred to a cardiologist. You have to advocate for yourself on this.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Ask dr again to refer you to a cardiologist. Too many woman have died from drs ignoring their heart complaints. Get a second opinion if your dr does not get you referred to a cardiologist. You have to advocate for yourself on this.

she is referring me I was just at the drs 2 weeks ago. it takes time for my insurance to approve a referral. nothing else I can do but to wait, and I cant just get a second opinion as my insurance would have to approve seeing another dr first. and there are 2 offices in my area. one like I said wants you to fill out paperwork and they will decide if hey want to take you on as a patient based on your records. and the other one has way too many patients. I live in a rural area so Im limited as to where I can go. I cant travel as I have no transportation. so I have to pay people to take me to drs appts and so on.

If I could afford better insurance I sure as heck would have it.