Intermittent Fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I’ve been doing IF for a month and I love it - I feel less bloated and it’s great as I was never hungry in the morning so am saving a good 200 calories there - plus it stops me from snacking in the evening - plus I am burning fat after 8 hours - not for everyone but if you want just give it a try

You are burning fat 24x7 whether you are skipping breakfast or not.
    The other reasons you give for easier adherence to a calorie goal (for you) are the really valid takeaways.

This^^. You are always burning fat. Staying on your calorie goal is what matters and if IF helps you, great.
  • jgitau
    jgitau Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is very good info up here, for which I am so grateful :) . I have been looking into IF for sometime now and I think it is time to give it a short. My times will be 10am to 6pm as my eating time. I am psychologically prepared that first days will be hard. I also know the aim is to create calorie deficit......so, wish me luck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jgitau wrote: »
    This is very good info up here, for which I am so grateful :) . I have been looking into IF for sometime now and I think it is time to give it a short. My times will be 10am to 6pm as my eating time. I am psychologically prepared that first days will be hard. I also know the aim is to create calorie deficit......so, wish me luck.

Best of luck! Hopefully, this is the right move for you. It's great going into this well informed because if at some point you decide this isn't for you, you won't feel pressured to continue doing it or feel guilty for not being "good at it" knowing that you can achieve your deficit using easier for you strategies if need be.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I use IF and find it very effective at controlling appetite. Different strokes for different folks. The way I incorporate it is I skip breakfast, then stop eating after dinner. Pretty simple. You can use IF and not do keto. I probably wouldn't do keto with the PCOS and as a female wouldn't do it very long.

Why not?

Long term dietary ketosis down regulates thyroid effectively reducing metabolism. The effect is more significant in women.

Any citations for that?

Yea, there is plenty to make the OP aware that it could be a concern.

Are you going to cite them? Or just wave your hands and claim they are out there?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The OP can decide for themselves if they care. Its a known side effect for sure

So, in other words, you are going to make claims you can't back up. By the way, it's not just for the OP. New people come into these threads. Some women will read that and think it's bad for them, but you've given no proof for it. Do you see how that's bad? So if you have proof for your claim, cite it. Why is that so damn hard?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The OP can decide for themselves if they care. Its a known side effect for sure

You are obviously unclear as to how this all works. If a person makes a claim, the burden is on then to substantiate that claim with citations of studies, meta-analyses or scholarly articles based on research in respected journals. If unwilling to do that, don't make said claims.

You made the claim. You should back it up or retract it.
  • Pepper00000
    Pepper00000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb/high protein diet for two years and have dropped 20 lbs. I want to loose 5 more. I've started IF a few weeks ago and I've dropped two pounds; this has been the boost I've needed. I fast Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 12-16 hours those days. If I get hungry, I have some chicken broth and it holds me off, but my fast is from 7:00 pm - noon the next day and I'm usually good.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I've never liked having breakfast so I've always skipped it. I don't "close" my window since I tend to be a night snacker so basically I have my breakfast calories at 11pm. Just another calorie management tool!