Dairy fat is safe, and may help guard against strokes.

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I did an extremely short assignment for university ((because the main use was for a literature review)) but I learnt some interesting stuff. Bovine milk stimulates IGF1 (Agostoni and Turck, 2011) and excess levels can lead to cancer, most commonly of the breast, and metastasis ((Eichhorst and Krammer, 2001). Casein protein - which makes up 82% of the protein content in milk - has been linked to illnesses leading to chronic heart disease and can be seen a study by Greaves et al. 2000). I willingly choose not to consume animal products including milk for ethical reasons, however, this is just some interesting stuff I came across. x

I would be cautious in assuming the extremely short assignment you did gave you better insight into the risk factors associated with dairy than is being in this 22-year study.

I have not reviewed this study, so it may have issues that are not immediately apparent. But it's published in a major journal and covering a lengthy period of time. Do you have specific reasons to disregard the conclusions other than your short assignment?

I'm just stating what I found:) im going to remove my quote about it being short from the comment. The length of my report has nothing to do with how much time went into the research and studies that I wrote about. I'm saying I chose not to consume dairy for ethics and this is just some information I found. x

I know what you stated, I'm wondering what you think the significance of it is. It seems like you're presenting the studies you referenced for your report, which apparently required a brief period of research, as some sort of counter to this more recent 22-year study.

Is there any particular reason to think those studies specifically contradict the claims in this more recent study or that there is some issue (either with execution or conclusions) with this more recent study? The 2000 Greaves study, for example, is on monkeys. Why would that be a better guide than this 22-year human study?

Why can't you just accept that I'm offering another study to look at for other people who are in two minds about consuming dairy? The sources I used are valid to use at university and higher degrees... I don't care if dairy might stop me having a stroke, because like I said, I chose to not consume because of ethics. I'm just offering the alternative side and some journals relating to it for people who are on the fence.

Plus, when I said a brief assignment, I meant it was short... not that I hadn't put any time into finding it. Drink your milk and stop replying to me:). x

Having an ethical objection to drinking milk (an objection that I happen to share with you) doesn't require us to believe that dairy fat is unhealthy. In fact, I believe veganism is better served when we are honest and forthright about what the science actually shows. Nobody likes to feel like someone is trying to trick them or manipulate their emotions through fear. When vegans push inconclusive, incomplete, or outdated science, we run the risk of creating negative perceptions of veganism. This is why I'm discussing this here.

This is why I love your well thought out responses.

Thanks!

Thank you.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I did an extremely short assignment for university ((because the main use was for a literature review)) but I learnt some interesting stuff. Bovine milk stimulates IGF1 (Agostoni and Turck, 2011) and excess levels can lead to cancer, most commonly of the breast, and metastasis ((Eichhorst and Krammer, 2001). Casein protein - which makes up 82% of the protein content in milk - has been linked to illnesses leading to chronic heart disease and can be seen a study by Greaves et al. 2000). I willingly choose not to consume animal products including milk for ethical reasons, however, this is just some interesting stuff I came across. x

I would be cautious in assuming the extremely short assignment you did gave you better insight into the risk factors associated with dairy than is being in this 22-year study.

I have not reviewed this study, so it may have issues that are not immediately apparent. But it's published in a major journal and covering a lengthy period of time. Do you have specific reasons to disregard the conclusions other than your short assignment?

I'm just stating what I found:) im going to remove my quote about it being short from the comment. The length of my report has nothing to do with how much time went into the research and studies that I wrote about. I'm saying I chose not to consume dairy for ethics and this is just some information I found. x

I know what you stated, I'm wondering what you think the significance of it is. It seems like you're presenting the studies you referenced for your report, which apparently required a brief period of research, as some sort of counter to this more recent 22-year study.

Is there any particular reason to think those studies specifically contradict the claims in this more recent study or that there is some issue (either with execution or conclusions) with this more recent study? The 2000 Greaves study, for example, is on monkeys. Why would that be a better guide than this 22-year human study?

Why can't you just accept that I'm offering another study to look at for other people who are in two minds about consuming dairy? The sources I used are valid to use at university and higher degrees... I don't care if dairy might stop me having a stroke, because like I said, I chose to not consume because of ethics. I'm just offering the alternative side and some journals relating to it for people who are on the fence.

Plus, when I said a brief assignment, I meant it was short... not that I hadn't put any time into finding it. Drink your milk and stop replying to me:). x

Having an ethical objection to drinking milk (an objection that I happen to share with you) doesn't require us to believe that dairy fat is unhealthy. In fact, I believe veganism is better served when we are honest and forthright about what the science actually shows. Nobody likes to feel like someone is trying to trick them or manipulate their emotions through fear. When vegans push inconclusive, incomplete, or outdated science, we run the risk of creating negative perceptions of veganism. This is why I'm discussing this here.

This is why I love your well thought out responses.

Thanks!

Thank you.

hey! Yeah, no I totally get you. I don't know if dairy is good or bad for you and it doesn't really bother me ((because, like you know, I don't drink it for ethics)). I was just offering another side - which is what this forum is for. I hope we can put this aside because it seems to be running round in circles. x
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink full fat dairy and I have major IBS symptoms, if I have low fat dairy! Does anyone know why that would be??
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Really interesting article!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've reread this article many times. It's a good one.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Interesting article. Pretty much aligns to the below information as well.

https://youtu.be/Rx9lZKSACFc