Weight lifting? Cardio???

Options
mehreen_xo
mehreen_xo Posts: 78 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys so I’m currently on a weight loss journey and am in a deficit of ~400 calories a day via diet and then I go to the gym 6x a week and burn 500 calories some days and 300 on the other 3 days. It all seeems to be going super well I’m losing about 1.2 lbs a week right now. I’m doing all this through pure cardio everyday
But t the thing is I’ve heard it’s good to incorprate weights even when you’re cutting, to preserve muscle mass so the energy expenditure is mostly fat and thus you burn more fat and have a nice physique underneath it all? Is this true and also if I was to start doing this what sort of lifting workouts should I do as a beginner who has never lifted before - honestly don’t have a clue where to begin!

Thanks so much to anyone who can help :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Usually, a full body workout is better for people who are new to lifting. There's a great list of beginner programs here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Resistance training preserves muscle. You will lose more muscle mass dieting without resistance training than you would doing resistance training. Resistance training also has it's own health and fitness benefits. As a matter of general fitness, I recommend a mix of both...they're both important.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Definitely important to do some kind of resistance training in order to help retain muscle as you lose. It will make a big difference in body composition.

Here are a list of programs to get you started, see under beginner

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started strength training and cardio from day 1 in my 150 lb weight loss journey and have continued this routine another 1.5 years into maintenance. In my mind it is the only way to go for health and appearance. I have progressed all aspects of my routine continuously as I've become more fit and at 63 am in the best shape of my life.