how many calories do you eat a day?

Options
Hi. I'm a 42 y/o female, 5'7", 204lbs. I'm a grad student and spend much of my time in class or studying. I've been tracking with this app for six weeks now and am beginning to wonder if I'm eating the correct number of calories. I simply targeted 1200/day as that's what myfitness pal offered me based on my profile. Sadly I've neither seen nor felt any weight shift or loss un six weeks :(

my metabolism is notoriously inefficient as I tend to avoid food during stress. I'm also a lymphoma survivor, 9 years remission, and wonder if this has an impact. At 42, perhaps I'm facing a life change but the Dr. says my hormones are fine.

I eat very well...whole foods, organic, plant-based or lean proteins; I do eat healthy oils and avoid processed foods, refined sugars, and alcohol; I limit dairy as well as red meats.

Incorporating supplements, like Vega and Raw Meal shakes, i was able to meet nutritional needs at 1200 calories but again no weight loss at all.

Advice? I'm thinking of increasing calories but am not sure by how much. Info I've found range my base calories from 1682-2250. I was thinking i might bump up to 1450....just as a shot in the dark.

(oh, for what it's worth I'm also taking Garcinia Cambogia and Tonalin CLA.)

Replies

• flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am 36 5'3" I eat 1670. I lose really slow and I am ok with that. if it takes me 2 years to lose the rest of my weight I am ok with that I get to eat and I don't feel starved.
    EDIT: I just wanted to add that I shared a small peice of cake for lunch with my daughter. We both got a treat and now we are going out to walk the dogs!
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    about 3000 yesterday, I should have skipped the ice cream it made me bloated
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 yo female 5'5". I only track during the week and then I average a little over 1400 calories per day. On the weekends I don't log but probably average about 2000.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 to 1400 a day based on exercise.
    I drink a LOT of water to curb my hunger. I also try to eat a heavy amount of protein which keeps me full.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    5'6'' 34yo 142lbs I eat 1800-2200. I refuse to starve! Starving will just put you on the yoyo string.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 180 and eat between 1200-1480 depending on the day. I also drink about 90 oz of water per day
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try this link, TDEE:

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

Easy to calculate and for me it was very accurate.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 45yrs and 5'4" - I've been eating 1300 calories 5 days a week, and 1800 calories the other 2 days (usually weekends), an average of 1500/day - I've been able to lose about a pound a week this way. When I get down into the 1200 calorie range, I get frustrated because I have a hard time staying under it - I don't like enough zero calorie or "free" foods.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    you are probably eating too low, thus worsening the metabolism problem. There is a group on here called eat more 2 weigh less I advise you check that out, they also have a website. I am 23 5'1 and eat about 1500-1800.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    5'2, eat between 1700-2000
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'5", 30 year old, female. My calorie goal is 1900 a day. I don't really log on the weekend, but I usually eat around 2000-2300 on the weekend.
    www.scoobysworkshop.com is a good place to figure your TDEE and then a cut %.
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a 42 y/o female, 5'7", 204lbs. I'm a grad student and spend much of my time in class or studying. I've been tracking with this app for six weeks now and am beginning to wonder if I'm eating the correct number of calories. I simply targeted 1200/day as that's what myfitness pal offered me based on my profile. Sadly I've neither seen nor felt any weight shift or loss un six weeks :(

my metabolism is notoriously inefficient as I tend to avoid food during stress. I'm also a lymphoma survivor, 9 years remission, and wonder if this has an impact. At 42, perhaps I'm facing a life change but the Dr. says my hormones are fine.

I eat very well...whole foods, organic, plant-based or lean proteins; I do eat healthy oils and avoid processed foods, refined sugars, and alcohol; I limit dairy as well as red meats.

Incorporating supplements, like Vega and Raw Meal shakes, i was able to meet nutritional needs at 1200 calories but again no weight loss at all.

Advice? I'm thinking of increasing calories but am not sure by how much. Info I've found range my base calories from 1682-2250. I was thinking i might bump up to 1450....just as a shot in the dark.

Do you work out at all? you prob need to burn what your taking in my guess would be
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Could you share your food diary? That way I can look and give advice.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Because of my lifestyle i cycle mine from 1200-1600 , i dont eat much boxed/packaged food so this is working for me!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

You are probably not measuring and logging as accurately as you think you are. Also, are you eating back exercise calories? If so, you could be overestimating your burn.
    Measure and weigh everything. Do this every meal, every day, get in regular exercise, and be patient. It will happen.

ETA to answer your question, I will be 50 in 3 weeks, 5'6", SW last Aug- 228, CW 185. Lost my weight on 1200 cals. I maintain around 1500-1600.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and 152. I have it set to 1350. But with exercise, I average eating about 1500-1600 a day. I started at 1350 back at 185 pounds and lost the weight pretty quickly. (Started the middle of March)
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    35, 5'4", 1600+exercise calories calculated by my HRM.

You may be eating too little. Here's a good post with links for helping determine calorie goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    5'3", 115 and I eat 1700 plus depending on how active I am.
  • n3verlettingmyselfgo
    n3verlettingmyselfgo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    mine varies quite abit
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My days seem to fluctuate, based on my exercise/activity level that day, but my base number is 1350 calories without exercise. I typically sit at 1300-1700 calories consumed, with a net average of 1300-1400 calories. My weekends have been a tad higher recently, but my net still usually sits at 1300-1600 calories on those days.

Oh, my stats are 39 y/o (for a few more weeks :wink: ), 5'2.5", and CW is 207.6. I started out at 220 (as of end of March/beginning of April).