cherries cherries cherries

Options
One of my favourite snacks is frozen dark cherries. since i have a bostload if fresh cherries in the fridge, i thought i’d pop them in the freezer for some cool summer treats. but i didn’t pit them. how hard will it be to eat frozen cherries with pits.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Not that hard, I do it often.

Since frozen cherries are cheaper and have just as many nutrients, you might buy pitted ones in future and just eat the fresh ones fresh.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    the fresh cherries are much less expensive!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I love cherries as well. I splurged this week and bought some Rainier Cherries. 2 boxes, so this week all fruit will be yes Cherries. And for red ones, yes they are on sale well not as cheap as in Midwest. But on sale, so will be buying and freezing they are just so good. Yum.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    the fresh cherries are much less expensive!

If you do it often, maybe get a cherry pitter? They're not crazy expensive.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I live in cherry country. The crop was very expensive this year. $6/# picked and $3.50/# upick.

I picked 20# at that price in late May and ate them all myself over 3-4 weeks; yes, they kept that long. I usually can them if I buy more than I can eat. Still have several jars in the cupboard from 2 yrs back.

Don't know where they are coming from but local markets are now selling them on sale for just $2/#. So, I bought 2# more but I've had my fill this year and am thinking about canning them even though they would barely fill a jar or 2.

I have a cherry pitter if need be.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Even though cherries are $1.68/lb here right now, I would absolutely be up for cherry picking if I lived in cherry country. Cherries are so delightful as is, I wonder how amazing they would be if they were really, really fresh.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I just learned you can easily pit fresh cherries with a straw!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yum to all of this. Cherries are incredible right now!
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i tried a pastry tip and it failed. it was too slow. the cherries are too firm
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    One of my favourite snacks is frozen dark cherries. since i have a bostload if fresh cherries in the fridge, i thought i’d pop them in the freezer for some cool summer treats. but i didn’t pit them. how hard will it be to eat frozen cherries with pits.

I just pitted 2kg of cherries yesterday while watching tv.
    Somple, grab a chop stick, pull the stem, insert the thicker end of the chop stick and you are holding the cherry and push the pit out. Lay flat on a baking tray in the freezer. Next day place in a bag. I will repeat this couple more times since in season and cheap :)

So gonna do this. I'm very into cherries at the moment. Pitting them and freezing will be joyous.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had a fresh cherry :# I’ve only ever had the maraschino ones which are disgusting so I’ve always been afraid to buy fresh ones lol.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love fresh cherries!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I’ve never had a fresh cherry :# I’ve only ever had the maraschino ones which are disgusting so I’ve always been afraid to buy fresh ones lol.

There is no resemblance whatsoever. None: Not color, not flavor, not texture. Try the fresh cherries. ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There is no resemblance whatsoever. None: Not color, not flavor, not texture. Try the fresh cherries. ;)

That’s good to hear. I see them at the store and I always think they look nice, especially the light pink ones. But I’m always afraid that I will hate them and then be stuck with a bunch of gross cherries lol
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The sales have been awesome near me! Last week I got Rainer Cherries for $1.99/lb, this week red cherries are $1.49/lb both at Aldi.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

That’s good to hear. I see them at the store and I always think they look nice, especially the light pink ones. But I’m always afraid that I will hate them and then be stuck with a bunch of gross cherries lol

Find someplace that sells them in bulk and buy 6, or borrow a few from a cherry-loving friend: You won't be sorry!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

I think you will like fresh cherries but you could tell this to someone in the produce department and ask if you can try one.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sheesh. Cherries are around $6-10/lb where I am. Sadly.
  • txmaryk99
    txmaryk99 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    LOVE cherries.

A coworkers parents have a vineyard and cherry orchard. She mentioned she was going home for the weekend and I said "eat a cherry for me". She brought me back a big bag of cherries from their orchard. She is now my BFF. <3