What kicked your REAR into GEAR???

Options
I'm not talking about what made you want to lose weight. I'm talking about what ended up being that thing that really helped you get that flabby butt going in the right direction?

For me it was tough love combined with reality check.

Admittedly it's not for everyone. In fact there is a lot of gripe on here against it. Different folks different strokes.

So what did it for you?

Replies

• tallulahthunderbird
    tallulahthunderbird Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to have a baby in a couple of years, and I needed to be able to run around!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    AWW!!! That's exciting and a darn good reason!
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not a very exciting reason but one day i just looked in the mirror and said to myself... my god you are a fat f*** your wife deserves better... that was motivation enough for me to get started.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    realizing that I was going to live, and I WANT TO LIVE. I had given up on life. I was on a pill to prevent breast cancer, got my 5 year mammogram, it was CLEAR, therefore was told that I DON'T HAVE cancer and I am in the clear. The pills caused my hemoglobin to drop and was told I had a blood disease, so, I was also told that I DON'T HAVE a blood disease, but I do have chronic anemia. But, if I want to lessen my chances for developing cancer, I need to lose weight!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My TOM symptoms were so bad I thought I had PCOS. Turns out I didn't (thank goodness), but it turns out many of those symptoms were caused by my weight.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    realizing that I was going to live, and I WANT TO LIVE. I had given up on life. I was on a pill to prevent breast cancer, got my 5 year mammogram, it was CLEAR, therefore was told that I DON'T HAVE cancer and I am in the clear. The pills caused my hemoglobin to drop and was told I had a blood disease, so, I was also told that I DON'T HAVE a blood disease, but I do have chronic anemia. But, if I want to lessen my chances for developing cancer, I need to lose weight!

Congratulations on being cancer free!! Cancer runs rampant in my family so I'm hoping that by being healthy and taking care of my body I can avoid some of the same issues they've incurred.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight only by dieting and ended up skinny fat, then lost some more instead of moving my laizy butt until I got underweight. At that point I had a revelation and got off the couch and started eating like a normal person. All is good now, just don't do like me :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    MFP friends. Which is why I always ask the new MFPers to find friends who are supportive.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I think I just finally really, really wanted it.
    If you'd asked me if I wanted to lose weight before I joined MFP, I would've said yes, for sure. But I wanted the freedom to be lazy and eat what I wanted more. More importantly, I felt weak. Like my goals were unattainable to me due to whatever character flaws.

I guess I just hit rock bottom. I was depressed and didn't even want to look into a mirror. I refused to buy new clothes but didn't fit into my old clothes, so I literally had almost nothing to wear. One day I found enough strength inside myself to start logging and I walked into the gym, joined, and hired a trainer. Haven't looked back since. :)
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I saw picture of myself a little over a year ago. It was on easter and I took a few pictures with my boyfriend. When I saw how big my arms where and how round my face was, it just clicked.
    I started to lose the weight!
    I didn't start to track my weight till about 9 months ago on mfp.
    I have lost 11 pounds and can't wait to keep going!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Honestly...?

I just wanted to be hot.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My profile says it but basically I'll summarize here. Ever since I was a teenager, I wanted a motorcycle. At the age of 27, I finally bought my first one, but being obese made learning to ride a lot trickier and more hazardous than it had to be. If I wanted to do it safely and become a good rider, losing weight was not an option. It was mandatory.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Does this count even if I don't think I'm full in gear? I've just been trying to implement things over time that would be conducive to being healthier. Once upon a time I went to the gym with my mom and got a membership there. Eventually I started going to the gym more often. Then I did my free meet with a personal trainer. I just keep layering the pieces in. I get mad at myself when I realize that I lost track of one element when I added in another, but I think that's the only thing that actually counts as a "kick."
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was told that I was pre-diabetic and I was on cholesterol meds at the age of 24. I didn't want to live that way
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I went to Ireland for 3 weeks. The food there is healthy, not crap. I came back and tried going back to how I had been eating pre-holiday and my body rejected it. Then I just had a light bulb go off. I started working out every day, eating right, I quit fast food, booze, soda and crap all together and decided I needed to change everything. I did become a hermit for awhile, but only because it was what I needed. I needed to block out the world and get focused. BEST.DECISION.EVER.

Pre-Ireland I had been in a deep depression for like 5 years. Post Ireland and a year later...I'm happier, more confident, getting my old self back, rediscovering who I am and falling in love with myself in a way. Falling back in love with life and living it like one should!
  • luvtcuk
    luvtcuk Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stranger came and asked me: "when will you due?"
    Suck, I know. I am not even that fat. 5'1... 145 pounds.

I was asked this question a few time actually.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That fact that I got out of breath from tying my shoes. Thank goodness I'm at a point that it's not a problem anymore, but I am nowhere near done!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Knowing I was slowly and steadily gaining and that the only person that could keep myself from getting heavier, is ME.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I got married last June and when my wedding photos came in I realized I looked three months pregnant. Devastated me. It's not like I didn't know I was overweight. But those photos in my mind are ruined. That beautiful day forever memorialized with my gut hanging out in my dress.

That and for the second time in three months I had to clear pants out my closet that were too small.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to have a baby in a couple of years, and I needed to be able to run around!

Me too! My future kids deserve the best and if I'm winded following them up the stairs of a jungle gym, I don't deserve to be a mom.
    I want my kids to be raised healthy and fit like I never was.
    I regret growing up and never playing sports and being active.

No time like the present!