nighttime eating

Anyone have trouble with nighttime eating? I do great throughout the day, but frequently find myself standing in the pantry in the middle of the night. It's usually after I've been asleep for only an hour or two. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice? Thanks!

Replies

• Cardgirl18
    Cardgirl18 Posts: 1 Member
    I have the same problem.
  • vonnie529
    vonnie529 Posts: 1 Member
    Same problem here 😅
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    "Do great throughout the day" usually means undereating, but are you undereating, or is it just a bad habit? Are you hungry, hangry and lethargic? How is your bodyfat%, or your BMI? Do you get enough sleep (or could you get enough sleep if you didn't get up in the middle of the night)?
  • jonathanhannah
    jonathanhannah Posts: 4 Member
    I feel like it's more of a bad habit. I am even more likely to do so if I overate the day before. Im usually lethargic but not actually hungry and feel like I could go back to sleep more quickly if my stomach were full.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Padlock on the kitchen door :D Seriously, I think it's mainly in your mind. What are your thoughts when you have overeaten? What are your expectations of fullness, your need to feel full?
  • jonathanhannah
    jonathanhannah Posts: 4 Member
    I usually don't think much about it in the moment. I never binge...just enough calories to ruin any progress I might have made the day before lol...a padlock is probably the best option! Protein bars seem to be my "go to" midnight snack... unless my son has some Little Debbie cakes!
  • lanetnspence
    lanetnspence Posts: 6 Member
    A habit like this can be hard to break. Try replacing the food with another filler: 8 oz water, hot non caffeinated tea, brush your teeth if it’s sweets.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I generally eat really late as well. I just eat less during the day so that I remain in a deficit when I eat at night. It doesn't matter when you eat, just your total calories for the day.
  • Hdkearney
    Hdkearney Posts: 58 Member
    I get it. I work so much that I try to satisfy my all day hunger in one setting late at night. I still have yet to find a cure. 🤷‍♀️
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    A small, high fat snack such as a couple of slices of cheese right before bed may help.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I build a before bed snack into my day. No problem.
  • cassiebajjey
    cassiebajjey Posts: 8 Member
    I've downgraded my night time snacking to rice cakes, an apple or a small handful of chocolate chips. In case you can't quit cold turkey, there are alternatives to satisfy the cravings.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2018
    go with low calorie high volume and/or save calories for late night snacking
    i eat "dinner" later and that minimize my late night grazing.