Very obese

Options
So my goal is 160 and I'm at 240 right now. I was wondering if anyone had tried a 5:2 approach? That is restricting to 500 for 2 days a week and eating at the 2 lb defecit for the other 5? If I wasn't THIS overweight I wouldn't be considering it but I'm thinking it'll help me. Any experience or insight? Also, I'm on week 2 of p90x3 and I don't know if I could work out on those 500 cal days.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald talks about losing some quick weight. Using that as a way to help get active. Then slowing things down.
  • rebecca041997
    rebecca041997 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started right about where you are, at 245. I started back in November, and I am just now about to break away from the 200’s. I started out restricting calories to 1400 a day and was working out literally almost every day. Health issues out of the way, I lost 45 lbs in 8 months. I would’ve lost faster if my health was the best. That being said, recently I have started the 16:8 intermittent fasting schedule. Fast 16 hours, eat in the 8 hour window. So I start eating at noon and stop at 8, which is good for me because I don’t like eating breakfast. It seems to have pushed me past my plateau! I also only eat no more than 1200 now. So, look at your options as far as intermittent fasting is involved, but I honestly think it does help in more ways than one! Good luck!
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty much the same weight as you but heavier even and I’m doing just basic . Aiming 2 lb a week ( changing is ones im under 200lb) I don’t think you should restrict yourself to much otherwise you just get upset when you “ fail” aka go over ect . Slow and steady hun :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while and it was fine. It's not for everyone. It's just one way to restrict calories. Your mileage may vary.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    While it is certainly not ideal to be dealing with 80lbs to lose it is not a reason to do anything radical. The 'Success Stories' forum is full of stories of people who have lost that much and more who did it without risking their health by pushing too hard. It takes time and patience but you can do it too.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    There are all keep kinds of facts and figures that will tell you why that would be a bad idea. Just my personal opinion is: any time you cut calories to as low as 500/day, you are gonna be tired and dehydrated and just draggy for a few days afterward. So you won't exercise cause you don't feel well. You won't have as much enthusiasm for preparing healthy meals, so you'll probably have more fattening fatty drive thru meals than you would otherwise, and you may gain a pound or two. By next week, your energy will have returned, and you start all over again.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight is only 1/2 the battle—keeping it off is the other challenge. Reading here has brought me to the conclusion that I should only make changes that are sustainable for decades to come. Do you think you can learn life-long, balanced habits by doing what you propose? Will the time it takes to lose the weight be enough time to solidify a lifestyle change? Those are questions to consider as you move forward. Good luck.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I did 5:2 (with 5 days at maintenance,as others have pointed out) for a couple months. I had no problem with workouts on the low days. The days following the low days were really hard, though. Felt crashy, wanted to overeat just about all day, especially after dinner. As soon as my schedule changed allowing me to eat a normal dinner on the two low days, I went back to a consistent daily deficit. I learned that works better for me.

You didn’t ask about exercise, but I would also encourage taking small steps and building up slowly. The last thing you want is to injure yourself. That would be a real bummer.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it while working out - P90X3 is a pretty tough workout, your right, you'll struggle to get through it on 500 calories a day. I would just do as mentioned above - stick to the calories MFP gives you and go from there. Sudden, dramatic changes to your diet are unlikely to stick, and you'll be more likely to just give up on the whole thing. Eat normally - just less. And track it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, the more you weigh, the more you can eat and still lose weight.

I would think about how difficult you think it is to eat 2000 calories (a small deficit), and how you react when you eat less than you're comfortable with. Then think about how difficult it will be to eat 1600 calories (a reasonable deficit). Then think about how difficult it will be to eat 500 calories (starving yourself).