Instantly Sore, not normal DOMS

Options
Went to the gym for my normal Monday workout and I was sooo incredibly sore about a minute just into my warmup. Sunday was a rest day for me and I haven't changed workouts at all. I managed to finish my 500m row for warmup and got on the elliptical for my 20 min intervals. My legs felt like they were 100lbs each! I decided to cut the elliptical down to 10 min and was dying. My heart rate was almost in the "cardio" zone for me and doesn't usually get that high until the end of my workouts. I managed to struggle through my strength training for the day with a lot longer rest times.

I am still feeling it.... I woke up feeling like I got hit by a bus yesterday and today! Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I'm sore places that I haven't worked since last week. I wasn't even this bad my first week of working out.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you eating low carb?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sore or tired?
  • rosey0104
    rosey0104 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been just tracking calories and making sure I get enough protein. I'm not really low carb or low fat but my diary is open so feel free to look. I do have a lot trouble sleeping just in general. I fall asleep easily but wake up every two hours almost. I do my best to get upwards of 8 hours but its not super restful sleep.
    Sore or tired?
    Just sore. I'm not really anymore tired then usual.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rosey0104 wrote: »
    I've been just tracking calories and making sure I get enough protein. I'm not really low carb or low fat but my diary is open so feel free to look. I do have a lot trouble sleeping just in general. I fall asleep easily but wake up every two hours almost. I do my best to get upwards of 8 hours but its not super restful sleep.
    Sore or tired?
    Just sore. I'm not really anymore tired then usual.

What your describing is what I would call tired legs?

How large is you calorie deficit?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    pre cold. pre bug. pre flu. anything like that can feel like you described. and yes overtraining too
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    pre cold. pre bug. pre flu. anything like that can feel like you described. and yes overtraining too

This is what I’m thinking too.
  • rosey0104
    rosey0104 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My deficit has been changing as I've been testing how much I can eat while losing about 1 lb a week. I've never felt this bad from the start of a cold but that makes sense.

Thank you so much everyone and I'm going to take the rest of the week off from exercise and just give my body the time to rest and recover.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I agree with this. For me—and I’ve been exercising for 45 years—unusual fatigue/heaviness is a sign of an impending illness. I’ve had some luck using hot tubs and mild workouts ( walking) to raise my body temp a bit to help fight off the bug. Pushing on with my usual intensity despite the bug has never worked. So a 2-4 day slow down vs. a week lost completely to a full blown illness? I pick the former. Let us know how you feel later this week.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling, OP? About a month ago I experienced this too, and the next morning I woke up with a second bout of strep throat (I had just finished a round of antibiotics, which apparently did not work). Hopefully you are feeling healthy.