Overnight Oats- Hot or Cold?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I make mine with yogurt so the thought of warming them up makes me gag :dizzy:

Mine is basically two parts yogurt to one part oats, plus some frozen fruit and peanut butter. So it's more yogurt than oats, and the oats aren't soggy, they expand and are a little doughy/chewy. And the oats absorbing some of the water out of the yogurt makes it a little thicker, almost a "mousse"-ey texture. I would think making it with just milk it would be soupy and a weird texture. I always thought the point was the bacteria in the yogurt "cooks" the oats.

Cooking old fashioned oats only takes 2 minutes in the microwave, so if I'm going to have hot oatmeal I would just make it fresh.
  • onesummergirl
    onesummergirl Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat mine cold, with fruit and granola. Delicious!!

From Oh She Glows cookbook

4.9 from 45 reviews

Overnight Oats

Overnight Oats are the time-crunched person’s breakfast secret weapon, since they take just a couple minutes to make at night before bed. When you mix together rolled oats, chia seeds, and almond milk, the chia seeds absorb the milk and the oats soften, creating an effortless chilled porridge. Place it in the fridge at night and forget about it until morning, when you’ll wake up to a cool, creamy bowl of oats that’s just perfect in the spring or summer. This is my go-to overnight oats recipe, but feel free to change up the fruit and other mix-ins as you like.

Yield
    1 bowl
    Soak time overnight or 2 hours
    Prep time 5 Minutes

Ingredients:

1 large ripe/spotty banana, mashed
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    3/4 cup almond milk
    1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
    Suggested Toppings:

Granola
    Fresh fruit
    Coconut flakes
    Pure maple syrup
    Cinnamon
    Nuts and seeds

Directions:
    In a small bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth. Now stir in the chia seeds and cinnamon until combined.
    Stir in the oats, almond milk, and vanilla (if using). Cover and refrigerate overnight, or a minimum of 2 hours.
    In the morning, stir the oat mixture to combine. If your Overnight Oats have a runny consistency even after they soak, simply stir in an additional 1 tablespoon chia seeds and place the mixture back in the fridge until it has thickened up. If the oat mixture is too thick, simply add a splash of milk and stir to combine.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 1 large bowl | Total Fat 16 grams
    Saturated Fat 2 grams | Sodium Fat 230 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 78 grams
    Fiber 21 grams | Sugar 16 grams | Protein 14 grams
    * Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.
    Tips:

Not a banana fan? Try swapping the mashed banana for 1/4-1/2 cup of your favourite yogurt and liquid sweetener, if desired.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good to see others doing this. This is what I've been starting the day with:

55g rolled oats
    5.5 fl oz silk protein nut milk -- because it is nearly all carbs at this point
    3g brown sugar

I make 3 of these at a time and stick them in the fridge. In the morning, they get 1:30 in the microwave.
  • Westcoastgirl99
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of overnight oats until I tried making them again this summer when we had a long stretch of really hot weather. It was refreshing to have them cold in the morning and I finally found a recipe that worked for me and was really creamy and tasty.. Here it is:
    1/3 cup whole oats
    1/3 cup yogurt (I use plain but vanilla would work too)
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1 tsp chia seeds
    1/3 -1/2 of a banana, mashed up (necessary for a bit of sweetness and nice texture)
    Pinch of cinnamon (optional)

Mix everything up in a jar or container and put it in the fridge overnight. I have been topping them with either fresh peach slices, fresh blueberries or strawberries. You can also add frozen blueberries on top the night before.

Stir the next morning and enjoy.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started overnight oats about 2 weeks ago before my long runs and bike rides. I found recipe on fit foodie. I use Quaker old fashion oats 1/2 cup, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, flax seed, dash cinnamon, dash honey and i scope of peanut butter. Let set over night. I do like it cold.

I ate this before Ironman WI last weekend and my stomach was good.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason or benefit of not cooking oats? I eat oatmeal often, different kinds of oats, i love it with yogurt and frozen or fresh fruit. It keeps me relatively full until lunch, so just wanted to know.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason or benefit of not cooking oats? I eat oatmeal often, different kinds of oats, i love it with yogurt and frozen or fresh fruit. It keeps me relatively full until lunch, so just wanted to know.

I eat them cold in the summer when I'm not in the mood for a hot breakfast. I'm not a morning person and run around like a loon in the AM getting ready for work so being able to make it ahead of time and just grab it saves me 2 or 3 minutes. Those are my reasons at least!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hated them cold too, but they are pretty good heated up. I'd make mine in a mason jar with almond milk + protein powder (or greek yogurt) and fruit. One of my favorites was a chocolate peanut butter flavored protein powder with bananas. I'd actually nuke the sliced banana in the jar before adding the other ingredients and throwing in the fridge overnight. It gets all bubbly and (IMO) makes it taste sweeter.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i eat them warmed up. because cold oat=ew

this morning i had oats+cider+salted caramel