Help! I want to try weight training

Options
I want to start lifting the barbell but don’t know how to start. I worry that I’m not strong enough to even lift the bar itself without the weights. Is there something I can do to start weight training

Replies

• ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If your gym has one try starting on a Smith Machine. It's a bar bell but usually counter weighted by 20lbs or more is self spotting and runs on guide rods so the starting weight is less than the 45 lb bar weight. While not the same as a bar bell it'll also help get the "feel" of the movements.
  • notarunnermfp
    notarunnermfp Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ricka1962 wrote: »
    If your gym has one try starting on a Smith Machine. It's a bar bell but usually counter weighted by 20lbs or more is self spotting and runs on guide rods so the starting weight is less than the 45 lb bar weight. While not the same as a bar bell it'll also help get the "feel" of the movements.

Lighter dumb bells or body weight would be a better option than a smith machine. A smith machine takes a lot of the stabilization out of the movements, I would argue that it actually doesn't usually help people get a "feel" for the movements.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Look up 5x5 StrongLifts or strong curves. Always best to follow an actual program than just making up a program. Start light no matter what u choose and work you way up. You might do well taking a lesson at a gym to sort out form or at least watch some examples on YouTube. Good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The first thing to do is to pick a beginner program. The link above lists a TON of good programs, but it's also a little intimidating trying to sort through all of them. Three that we recommend all the time are Starting Strength, Stronglifts and Strong Curves (so I'd personally start by looking at those three, just to make it a little easier). When you're first starting out, don't worry about picking the "perfect" program; just pick the one that looks the most appealing to you and try it for a month or so. If you love it, great!, but if not, try another one.

Most beginner programs start with you just lifting the bar. This really depends on the individual and I'm making HUGE generalizations here, but most women can start squatting the empty bar just fine, and start off with just the bar or a little bit of weight if you're deadlifting. Bench pressing and overhead pressing can be more difficult for women, so don't be surprised if you need to start off with a lighter bar on those. (I mean, you can start with a lighter bar for any or all exercises, but those two in particular can be more challenging for women).

I like to think of weights in other contexts, because while lifting a 45-pound barbell might sound intimidating at first, I know I can lift my 5-year-old niece who weighs close to 45 pounds just fine. (And barbells are way easier because they don't wiggle). I hate it when trainers steer my female friends toward the 5-pound dumbbells for everything, because my purse usually weighs more than 5 pounds and I lift that without any trouble. My grocery bags definitely weigh more than 5 pounds and I can carry those.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When I got back into lifting I hired a fitness professional who started me out on a broomstick. This wasn't for weight, but to highlight form and get this perfect before moving on with weights.

Fear is a result of unfamiliarity, so change that. Get familiar with weights. Check with local gyms and see if they have a beginner's class.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I started with Strong Curves and a set of adjustable dumbbells. There's NO shame in starting out lighter than you need to, to get the feel of good form. My husband showed me how to deadlift, starting with a broomstick. Good luck! I love strength training - I hope you will too!