Locked Diary..Why?

Options
ACanadian22
ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
For people here with a closed diary, why do you do it?

I do it because I have a very big fear I will be judged not only for the days that I eat too much but for the ones I eat too little too. Add to that, what I eat is pretty junky some days even if I make my cals

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    For people here with a closed diary, why do you do it?

I do it because I have a very big fear I will be judged not only for the days that I eat too much but for the ones I eat too little too. Add to that, what I eat is pretty junky some days even if I make my cals

I don't even think people read my diary despite being open. I don't see the need of closing it, if you're undereating for example, wouldn't you want someone to point out your mistake??? But then again, most of the time, when you close the diary, people just click "Like" and not read it at all.

PS I've had days where I went over by 1000 calories and I still wouldn't get any replies, so I highly doubt someone would judge you big time.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty boring day to day, so I don't want to inflict my eating choices on others :smile:
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I would ask just the opposite:

Why would someone need/want to have an open diary?

It's not like you have personal or banking information shown to the public. But then again, maybe it's just me. I don't see the big deal. It's only food.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

As far as head games about logging honestly or not depending on whether or not people see it, to me that shows a lack of commitment. Either it's really important and you log accurately or it isn't that important. I can't control what people think if they do or don't see what I eat.

I know for me, it's not a matter of commitment or logging accurately (I always log accurately regardless of whether or not my diary is open) but more about the mental pressure I place on myself. No one needs to be actively judging me; in fact I've never experienced that here. I struggle with perfectionism in other aspects of my life as well. Part of dealing with that is finding ways to make myself more comfortable and accepting of my own perceived failings.

I wish I could have an 'I don't give a *kitten*' attitude, but that's just not how I'm wired.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The added accountability helps me, so I keep mine open. But to each their own.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

When I started here I looked at diaries and it seemed like if I was going to look at someone else's diary mine should also be open for people to look at too. I also opened my diary so people could see someone eating normally and managing their weight without extremely restrictive dieting. I don't know if anyone ever looks. I have not gotten comments.
    It isn't a big deal to me either way.