Overweight “newbie” runners?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Way to go! I’m in a similar position. I started and stopped the c25k program several times and one day I decided I’d just run for 15 min. Instead and I’m building on that, adding 10% ish (in minutes) each week. It’s amazing. I love it so far. I love being in tune with my body and how it’s feeling. If I feel my heart rate pick up then I just make a conscious effort to slow down. My lungs don’t “burn” anymore and my heart doesn’t feel like it’s going to jump out of my chest. Slow is the way to go
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I am so glad to read you touting the advantage of running slow and easy.
    So many people want to pick up running. But they go out and they push themselves too hard right off the bat, and it is uncomfortable and unpleasant, and they stop.
    If they just slowed down a bit, and were less afraid to stop and walk when it becomes painful and a struggle, they wouldn't mind it so much and they wouldn't quit and, over time, they would get better.
    Hopefully, with time, they'd start to get some of those runners' endorphins and they'd even learn to enjoy it.
    Here it comes! The cliche. "Rome wasn't built in a day."
    Neither is physical conditioning. Or a better body.
  • rekrapetak
    rekrapetak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did my first couch to 5 today (I took yesterday off thanks to shin splints from pushing too hard Sunday). I thought about waiting a day more as my legs are still feeling heavy, but I figured I’d be walking the dogs anyway so a little jog in between would be fine.

So day 1 - I found this easy (60 seconds run then 90 seconds walking) x 8 essentially. Admittedly I was running very slow again but I’m taking it easy. The second from last 60 I thought I’d continue running in the 90 break and back into another minute. But I found I still felt good so I jogged the 5 min cool down too! Then I walked 10 mins to cool off properly.

I’m not worried about the next 2 runs with it now. Im going to try and stick to program but maybe add a bit more speed - only slight mind. Overall with this program and the rest of my walk 5k took 50 mins. I guess that’s the starting point huh?!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    rekrapetak wrote: »
    I did my first couch to 5 today (I took yesterday off thanks to shin splints from pushing too hard Sunday). I thought about waiting a day more as my legs are still feeling heavy, but I figured I’d be walking the dogs anyway so a little jog in between would be fine.

So day 1 - I found this easy (60 seconds run then 90 seconds walking) x 8 essentially. Admittedly I was running very slow again but I’m taking it easy. The second from last 60 I thought I’d continue running in the 90 break and back into another minute. But I found I still felt good so I jogged the 5 min cool down too! Then I walked 10 mins to cool off properly.

I’m not worried about the next 2 runs with it now. Im going to try and stick to program but maybe add a bit more speed - only slight mind. Overall with this program and the rest of my walk 5k took 50 mins. I guess that’s the starting point huh?!

The thing with running injuries is you find you have one when you are getting out of the shower/going down the stairs/getting up in the morning/doing something that seems normal. Then bam, you find that something hurts that didn't before you ran.

The way to prevent this is to not over do things. Your lungs will develop quickly. Your legs take time. Stick with the plan and you will enjoy this sport for years.

Good luck.

Yes, the thing with running is that your cardiovascular system will improve much faster than your musculoskeletal system. That is, you will feel like you are capable of running longer and/or harder than your muscles and joints are really ready for. So the key to injury-free running is patience. I know it will seem frustratingly slow at times, but you should trust the process. Otherwise you risk going "too fast, too soon" and getting hurt, then adding do the chorus of people who say "running hurts your knees". (It doesn't, really. Studies have found that lifelong runners actually have fewer joint problems. The top risk factors turn out to be weight and a sedentary lifestyle.)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I used to stop as soon as I got winded. Then, one day, I pushed through and got into “the zone”. I am so amazed I can run now. I use cues like “engage glutes/core” and “quick short steps (jogging not sprinting)”. I try to relax my shoulders and keep my hands just below waist level.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

The thing with running injuries is you find you have one when you are getting out of the shower/going down the stairs/getting up in the morning/doing something that seems normal. Then bam, you find that something hurts that didn't before you ran.

The way to prevent this is to not over do things. Your lungs will develop quickly. Your legs take time. Stick with the plan and you will enjoy this sport for years.

Good luck.

That is so true! I just started running a few weeks ago and by the end of my run, my lungs and my heart feel perfectly fine but my legs and feet are so tired
  • rego1203
    rego1203 Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm new to running too. I did my 1st 5k fathers day. I ran this week and did 2 miles in about 23 minutes. I dont want to hurt myself, I had hip surgery a year or so ago ( torn labrum) so I go at my pace and watch my form and breathing. Just do your thing and watch out for your breathing and form and enjoy!
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I’ve just finished my first 5k...if you’d told me that a couple of months ago I would never have believed you! I’m 56lb heavier than I’d like to be but I built up really gradually. I did 5k in 35 minutes this week and was so proud of myself because I never thought I’d get here. But I did! And now I love it and look forward to running again!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »

Good luck.

Yes, the thing with running is that your cardiovascular system will improve much faster than your musculoskeletal system. That is, you will feel like you are capable of running longer and/or harder than your muscles and joints are really ready for. So the key to injury-free running is patience. I know it will seem frustratingly slow at times, but you should trust the process. Otherwise you risk going "too fast, too soon" and getting hurt, then adding do the chorus of people who say "running hurts your knees". (It doesn't, really. Studies have found that lifelong runners actually have fewer joint problems. The top risk factors turn out to be weight and a sedentary lifestyle.)

Yep. I recently found out that my legs start getting upset at around the 45 minute mark, yet my lungs are still happy little campers. I'm glad I did a lot of strength training for the first two years of my weight loss journey, the extra strength in my legs are helping my legs from being sore after a run.
  • lpjames30
    lpjames30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m a beginner runner and it’s hard for me, I walk and jog but I’m able to further each time. KEEP PUSHING YOU CAN DO IT !!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do too much too quickly. Follow the C25K plan, and don't run on your rest days. Definitely walk, but don't run so your bones and ligaments have the chance to rest and get stronger. Definitely don't worry about how fast you're running. You're supposed to be running slowly. The speed will come naturally as your body gets better at running. I started the program last year and was probably running 15-16 min/mile, and after finishing the program and building up my distance, was averaging about 10 min/mile. The program is great, and I'm doing it again after breaking my ankle last fall, along with other disastrous life issues.

To quote some internet stranger, no matter how slowly you run, you're still lapping the guy on the couch.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Look at you go!!! I never considered myself a runner either. For some reason 5 years ago, I tried again, slowly. I’m a runner now! And so, my friend, are YOU ❤️ Well done!! Keep it up for yourself. You’re doing great!!
  • mistyj7
    mistyj7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It’s great to read all of the positive comments. I am starting the couch to 5k program today and you all are addressing my internal fears about starting to run again at my weight.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are so supportive- it is a breath of fresh air. I know a lot of “serious” runners and they almost seemed to belittle my efforts. One even laughed and said “ haha are you sure you were even running?!” - I could’ve punched him!

That pushed me today and I think I over did it a little- I did 2.5km in just under 19 mins. After reading the above I feel like I made a rookie error in trying too hard . Yesterday can naturally to me and it wasn’t planned or overthought. Going slow meant i was fully in control, I had my heartbeat and a good rate and breathing was much easier. It made me feel good and for the first time I ended thinking I wanted to keep running!

Tonight I set of too quick, my hb bag was 171. Breathing was difficult, I was knackered and I was staring at the finish line desperately praying to make it. I finished and realised this is what I’ve done wrong every time I ever tried to run because I was running at someone else’s pace and trying to push myself rather than enjoy it and just build endurance !

I’m going to look up couch to 5k. I think my local park has a running club on Saturdays too... I’ll think about joining in a month after I get on track. It’s difficult as I have a 1 year old and 3 year old so my running /exercise time is usually between 9pm- 6am!

@rekrapetak
    Search for "mommy" running clubs. I've seen a few where parents with small children run with running strollers or even rotate rest days where everyone takes turns as babysitters (all the parents bring the kiddos to a park, about 1/4 are on "rest days" and watch the kids, while the others go for a park run. They all just rotate babysitting duties).
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I had a wonderful today tha was 100% enjoyable for the whole time because I slowed down. Sometimes I get caught up in seeing if I can go faster, and that takes the fun right out of it! I may think about improving speed a little when I can run an hour with no discomfort. I’ve a ways to go. And no worries about it, either!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Hey guys- just an update, I’ve completed week 3 of couch to 5k and definitely feel fitter. I also registered for my local park run (5k every sat morning) and did my first try today. I couldn’t run non stop but pushed as hard as I could with a time of 36.27 minutes. Pretty proud for first try. I plan to complete every other week ....

Furthest non stop distance so far it 3km but today I couldn’t do more than 1.5 due to the hills!

Hey way to go.
    I hate running but it's such a quick way to burn a lot of calories. Good for you for sticking with it
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep up the great work.