Looking for advice on exercises to build muscle

I'm a 32 year old female and I lost 20 lbs last year due to Lupus and getting diabetes from long term steroid use for the Lupus. I am now feeling great, all of my labs are normal so the Lupus is quiet and the diabetes is reversing since I'm no longer on the steroid. Everything is getting back to normal but I'm trying to gain my weight in a healthy way. I've recently bought a nutritionist who gave me a specific meal plan to increase my carbs and balance the protein (ever since I lost the weight I started increasing my protein but was told I didn't have the carbs for the protein to do it's job). So, I want to get my nice body back from before specifically my booty, thighs and arms. Those took a big hit with the weight loss. I'm looking for advice on exercises to build those back. What exercises should I do? Weights or no weights? I currently swim once a week, walk, and do lunges, squats, push-ups, leg lifts, bridge, and sometimes yoga. I did these exercises prior to my weight loss to keep me toned but now that I want to gain fat and muscle I'm not sure if these are still good exercises to do. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would look at a program like Strong lifts, Starting Strength , or Strong Curves ( more lower body focused) , These would require weights if you have access to them or a gym. Your want enough cals 7 protein to gain about 0.5 - 1 lb per week. Your nutritionist cam help you with this.
    I'm in a similar situation - I lost 25lbs due to an abdominal issue & surgery. A lot of that was muscle & I'm working on gaining it back.
    The reason for the slow weight gain is because you want muscle gains and that is slow. You can gain 10 lbs per week on the pizza & ice cream diet but that is not what you want
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I would probably get on a structured lifting program and listen to the advice of your nutritionist. But ideally, you would want a small surplus (~10 to 15% over maintenance) so you can optimize the conditions to gain muscle.
  • cndavis85
    cndavis85 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for the helpful advice.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I lean towards stronglifts 5x5 because there are only 5 lifts to learn, and it only uses free weights. My weight room has limited equipment and all you need is bar, bench, squat rack, deadlift platform, and plates. It's a 3 day/week full body strength program.