Was there a veggie you resisted for years only to find you liked it when you tried it?

iowalinda
iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
If so, what was it? Mine was beets :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Brussel sprouts
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,797 Member
    Brussel sprouts
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Sweet potato (not sure if this counts)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Sweet potato (not sure if this counts)

Why would it not?
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    I grew up hating vegetables (my parents raised me on Mac n cheese, hotdogs and hamburger helper). When I bought my house at 25 I started learning to cook. There isn't a vegetable out there that I won't eat. :-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Parsnips.

I thought I would like Radicchio but one taste convinced me otherwise.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Artichokes and mushrooms. ALL THE WASTED YEARS!!! :#

Love these and eat ‘em all the time now!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Most of them...
  • DreaDarling87
    DreaDarling87 Posts: 46 Member
    Brussel Sprouts & Cabbage
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Almost all vegetables I hated when I was growing up. After getting married, my husband taught me how to cook them, and I fell in love with pretty much all of them. Brussels, cabbage, spinach, onions, zucchini, squash, etc!!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    I remember as a kid not liking mushroom, bell pepper, or avocado. My parents made me eat them though and I grew to love them. I dont know what I was thinking as a kid, because now they are delicious to me. I do believe in forcing kids to eat veggies. My parents made me eat whatever they were eating and now I eat most everything and all veggies.
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Mushrooms love them now.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    All of the above :D Mushrooms, pepper, celeriac, brussel sprouts, beets, celery, asparagus, I was even wary of sweet potatoes. Now I eat and enjoy all of them, a meal is not a meal without some vegetables.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited July 2018
    I can’t think of any vegetables that I dismissed without trying. Who does that?

What did happen is that I stopped being able to taste whatever chemical it was I didn’t like in some vegetables.

The obvious example is mushrooms. I hated them as a child. My parents kept trying to make me eat them; they used to hide them in strong-tasting food, because they were convinced I just ‘thought’ I hated the taste. After all, mushrooms don’t have a strong enough taste to hate, right?

Wrong. I could taste the tiniest amount of mushroom in any amount of other foods. My parents only stopped trying to sneak them past me when I detected them in a ready meal - my father got the pack out of the bin to show me there were no mushrooms in it and discovered that there actually were!

Sometime in my twenties, all that changed. I love mushrooms now, but I also don’t find them strong-tasting anymore and don’t notice whether they’re in things or not. Similarly I love mustard, onion, Chinese and Indian food - all the strong tastes that I couldn’t tolerate as a child.

I think I just don’t have such sensitive tastebuds anymore.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    I didn't eat asparagus until I was in my 20's! I wouldn't be able to eat steak without it now 😝
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited July 2018
    Never resisted/refused to eat any veg.

Exposed to many exotic veggies in my mother's home, including bitter melon. Ate them all.

Some of my faves were the ones others hated (or thought they did): broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus and artichokes.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I resisted sweetcorn until into my 30's but still won't go near a mushroom!
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    I mostly ate every veggie my parents did, which were plain by some standards. I only like pumpkin mixed with potato, so orange mash. Cabbage I like raw, or in Asian dishes. Mum used to over cook carrots, so I only liked them raw. We ate a lot of salads, and stews. We didn't eat spinach unless it was in the lettuce mix, and I wasn't a fan of broccoli. I don't remember eating mushrooms. As an adult I love broccoli, baby spinach and mushrooms. I think we ate well growing up, but as I've gotten older I have expanded what I eat.

One of my kids only eats potatoes. She is Autistic and gets very anxious about food. She however loves herbs, especially Italian ones. So when we make pizza or pasta we load up. She will sometimes try a new food, if she isn't pressured. My youngest is will to try almost anything, but don't eat potato unless it's in chip form. She loves spinach, carts and red capsicum (pepper) the most.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    iowalinda wrote: »
    If so, what was it? Mine was beets :)

Same plus turnips and a lot of greens. In all cases, selection and preparation was/is a big part of it. If I tried it and was repulsed by it, sometimes I wouldn't give it another chance for years. Then I would find out that it was the particular dish as prepared that I didn't like.
  • onemanpeloton
    onemanpeloton Posts: 58 Member
    aubergine, I love that stuff!