Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Was there a veggie you resisted for years only to find you liked it when you tried it?

Options

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    All of them. Growing up our vegetables consisted of canned corn or potatoes. Now, about 90% of my diet is vegetables, except corn and potatoes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    I did not like green peppers as a kid. I did taste them and did not like them. As I got older I couldn't be bothered to pick them off my pizza and started liking them.
    I was anti sweet potato until I discovered you could actually eat them without dumping marshmallows and sugar on them. I like them pretty plain with salt and pepper or chili powder.

There are vegetables I have not tried like a rhutabaga or turnip because they were not commonly eaten by people I know. I never had a vegetable that I refused to even taste though.

I see several consider mushrooms a vegetable. It is not even a plant though? I've always loved mushrooms but never counted them as a vegetable.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Asparagus! I hated it as a kid and refused to eat it for years. Now I LOVE it as an adult, especially fresh from the farmers market.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts & Cabbage

Same!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few I was not a fan of as a kid. But my parents had a rule that I had to try everything at least once to confirm I still didn't like it. Avocados, sauerkraut, canned creamed corn and beets are some I can think of now. I think the taste buds change as you age, and things that were once revolting as a kid are now good as an adult. So far, I love avocados and sauerkraut. (Maybe not together. :lol: ) I still cant get past the texture of creamed corn to this day. And I just recently confirmed I still hate beets. They taste like sweet, pickled dirt to me. Ironically as a kid I LOVED my greens (and still do). Brussel sprouts, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, etc. The greener and more bitter the better.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Broccoli. I can only eat it now by shredding it small and using in slaw
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yams, sweet potatoes, and various squash.

There are still several I dislike. Brussel sprouts come to mind. An ex of mine told his sister they were baby cabbage patch kids. :laugh:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts. And the veggie my mom made us eat as kids I can't stomach anymore are lima beans.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I only ate cucumbers and carrots until past 15. Then only developed a love for peppers at 22. Now I am 37 and I love all of them except raw onions (texture thing). I can't imagine a meal without a variety of veggies raw or cooked.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    If so, what was it? Mine was beets :)

Mine, too, I always thought I wouldn't like beets, so I didn't try them. They are one of my favorites now! I especially like them roasted and topped with goat cheese...mmmmmm delicious!

If you like beets you should try roasted radishes. Roasting mellows the spice and they transform into a lovely mild root vegetable.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    iowalinda wrote: »
    If so, what was it? Mine was beets :)

Mine, too, I always thought I wouldn't like beets, so I didn't try them. They are one of my favorites now! I especially like them roasted and topped with goat cheese...mmmmmm delicious!

If you like beets you should try roasted radishes. Roasting mellows the spice and they transform into a lovely mild root vegetable.

Beets and carrots coated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roasted is amazing.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Orange squashes. I disliked them as a kid and didn't touch them for years, then in my early 30s some was being passed around the table and I shrugged and took some to be polite. Was stunned when I enjoyed it. Now it's not fall/winter without roasted butternut squash.
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers. I'm not sure why I even resisted to eat them to be honest. Then I tried it and realized I actually liked them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating my vegetables, so not really. I've always loved my vegetables.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Really I have always been a fan of vegetables! I used to eat entire jars of beets haha. I would have to say cucumbers. I loved pickles but didn't start eating raw cucumbers until like 5 years ago.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite happen. I eat and always ate everything. In particular when I was a kid I loved to munch on Bell Peppers. I'd eat them whole and raw - like an apple. Then suddenly, as a teen they developed this medicinal taste that was bitter and sharp and overpowering. Can't stand them now - green or red or yellow.

oh, I remember.... I used to think that chickpeas had a waxy texture that stuck to your mouth like cold fat. I hated the taste and feel. I eat them now with no problems.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Radishes for some reason, I thought were gross, they're not. Other than that no I love all veggies
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts. I had them the other day at a restaurant, roasted with some ras el hanout seasoning, feta and lemon drizzled over it and omg.....I almost died from happiness. It was so freaking good.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Onions
    Avocados
    Radishes
    Tomatoes
    Pickled yellow peppers (banana peppers)
    Brussel sprouts
    Spinach

Really, I would say the only non-starchy vegetables I actually liked as a kid were cucumbers and carrots.

I was a picky eater as a kid, lol. I'm still pretty picky but my range of foods has definitely expanded a lot. I think the only food that I still can't tolerate at all is mushrooms. I can't even do them fried - it's a texture thing, mushroom-flavored stuff is fine.