Explaining weight loss to closed minded people

2»

Replies

• anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2018
    I generally try to avoid the conversation when I know it won't end well. If they keep pressing I say "Apple Cider Vinegar & Shakeology".
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Kmarie8212 wrote: »
    I did something that worked for me but I understand it's not for everybody. You do you.

I’m not saying following a specific diet plan is a bad thing as long as your aware of the fact you won’t lose unless your under daily calories. It’s the mindset that you can eat what you want within those diet guidelines and still lose.

I just say that to close minded people who don't want to have a discussion; they just want to spout their ideas and disregard mine. You are discussing in an open way; that's different.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    You'd have better luck teaching a pigeon to play chess.

Actual conversation I had two months ago (I've lost a total of ~180lbs so far, so it's more than noticable that I'm doing something right):
    Person: OMG you look great! How did you lose the weight?
    Me: Eating fewer calories than I burn.
    Person: But what diet did you do?
    Me: None, I just tracked how many calories I burn a day, and eat less than that.
    Person: But you had to give up bread, sugar, and eat clean, right?
    Me: No, I just ate whatever I wanted but limited my calories.
    Person: Oh come on, that doesn't work. What else were you taking? Green coffee extract, acv? Seriously, you don't have to lie.
    Me: (now getting upset). Again, no! No magic, just eat less and move more. That's it.
    Person: Why won't you just be honest? (Calls me a few things that I won't repeat)
    Me: (Now really upset). Fine, jalapenos and honey diet. Eat a large raw jalapeno dipped in honey before every meal. That it
    Person: why couldn't you just tell me that, I'll try that.

Me:(to myself) good luck with the effects of jalapenos on your non-spicy food eating self!

LOL! Too funny but so true! Everyone wants a gimmick!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't bother to explain...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I don’t bother with explaining it to people. People who believe weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out seem to be in the minority. Most people in real life think you need to follow some fancy diet or follow these random rules (like you must eat breakfast, or 6 small meals a day, etc) it’s too much effort on my part to try to explain. I do what works for me and they can figure it out on their own, or continue to be fat. If they ask for my advice I will gladly give it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I don't try to convince anybody because I don't care what other people think about calories or dieting. It doesn't affect me at all so I don't spend time or energy on it.

Life is much easier when you stop caring about stuff that has no effect on you.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    You could offer to do an experiment.....let her do keto, and eat what she wants, and you do CICO, and offer to compare results. She *might* learn that way, but she might not is she doesn't want to
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Wisdom from my mom: Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

You do you :)