Explaining weight loss to closed minded people

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about how to get through to people who hold opposing views. There's people asking about this in our increasingly polarized society, go figure. It does no good to "talk at" people, bombarding them with facts. However, sitting down and having a conversation, does work. Call it "civil discourse". Check out how the Free Hugs guy engages a shouter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n40n95hrKok
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't care about her diet just as she shouldn't care about yours. Maybe she'll be successful following keto, and enjoy it too. Maybe not. Who knows? The only approaches you have are to be supportive or stop talking about weight loss.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You told her the facts now let her go do her own figuring it out. If she doesn't lose on her plan maybe she will remember that calories matter.

I can't be too down on other people for choosing a fad diet because I resisted counting calories and did diets for years myself. I lost weight and regained several times. There are probably many here who did not watch their calorie intake but did various diets with success or failure in the past. I wish I had just counted calories all those years but if someone had told me I would have thought it was too much work, not enough of a change, etc too.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You told her the facts now let her go do her own figuring it out. If she doesn't lose on her plan maybe she will remember that calories matter.

I can't be too down on other people for choosing a fad diet because I resisted counting calories and did diets for years myself. I lost weight and regained several times. There are probably many here who did not watch their calorie intake but did various diets with success or failure in the past. I wish I had just counted calories all those years but if someone had told me I would have thought it was too much work, not enough of a change, etc too.

That's the usual excuse when I tell people about calorie counting which is why I let them be.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I followed KETO for about 8 months but in the back of my mind I still knew it was CICO. The problem with me is I'm a binger....so I need to eliminate from my diet in order to be successful. I'm not a diet preacher and I really don't care about getting through to other people. People do what they want in their own time - and they learn the same way. So, just move on and let it go.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. Adults are free to make their own diet choices. Who knows, maybe she will lose weight because she won't be so hungry (high fat foods tend to do this) and it will work for her. It's not your job to educate all your friends on how to properly lose weight. If she asks how you did it, share, but otherwise, why bother?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Trying to explain anything to anyone who doesn't want to listen is a fruitless and thankless endeavor.
  • riverscloud3407
    riverscloud3407 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fad diets just don’t work.. she’ll find out eventually, but some people don’t. The only way to loose weight is to loose weight, meaning cico
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Its science bro....

Seriously though most people get really emotionally connected to their way of eating and its kind of hopeless to get them to change unless they are coming to you asking for information.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Kmarie8212 wrote: »
    How in the world do you convince someone they can’t eat as much as they want on the keto diet, the low carb diet, the whatever fad diet there is out there? It’s infuriating!

My friend wants to do the keto diet and thinks that she can eat as much as she wants of the food that’s allowed on the keto diet. I can not convince her weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. You can eat what you want if ya under your daily calorie burn. Granted you shouldn’t eat nothing but chips burgers and candy even if it IS under your calorie goal but still...you technically could eat that stuff and lose if you eat under calories.

I’m amazed at the amount of people that don’t understand calories in < calories out=weight loss. 🤦🏻‍♀️

My friends kinda like this but in a different way. He doesnt wanna lift weights to save his life. He barely can curl a 10lb weight... hes on a low xarb diet and hes sticking to it well but i keep telling him one day you wont lose weight and the muscle will help burn more fat but he wont listen so ima just let him run his course till he sincerely need the help.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I generally try to avoid the conversation when I know it won't end well. If they keep pressing I say "Apple Cider Vinegar & Shakeology".
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Kmarie8212 wrote: »
    I did something that worked for me but I understand it's not for everybody. You do you.

I’m not saying following a specific diet plan is a bad thing as long as your aware of the fact you won’t lose unless your under daily calories. It’s the mindset that you can eat what you want within those diet guidelines and still lose.

I just say that to close minded people who don't want to have a discussion; they just want to spout their ideas and disregard mine. You are discussing in an open way; that's different.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    You'd have better luck teaching a pigeon to play chess.

Actual conversation I had two months ago (I've lost a total of ~180lbs so far, so it's more than noticable that I'm doing something right):
    Person: OMG you look great! How did you lose the weight?
    Me: Eating fewer calories than I burn.
    Person: But what diet did you do?
    Me: None, I just tracked how many calories I burn a day, and eat less than that.
    Person: But you had to give up bread, sugar, and eat clean, right?
    Me: No, I just ate whatever I wanted but limited my calories.
    Person: Oh come on, that doesn't work. What else were you taking? Green coffee extract, acv? Seriously, you don't have to lie.
    Me: (now getting upset). Again, no! No magic, just eat less and move more. That's it.
    Person: Why won't you just be honest? (Calls me a few things that I won't repeat)
    Me: (Now really upset). Fine, jalapenos and honey diet. Eat a large raw jalapeno dipped in honey before every meal. That it
    Person: why couldn't you just tell me that, I'll try that.

Me:(to myself) good luck with the effects of jalapenos on your non-spicy food eating self!

LOL! Too funny but so true! Everyone wants a gimmick!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't bother to explain...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t bother with explaining it to people. People who believe weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out seem to be in the minority. Most people in real life think you need to follow some fancy diet or follow these random rules (like you must eat breakfast, or 6 small meals a day, etc) it’s too much effort on my part to try to explain. I do what works for me and they can figure it out on their own, or continue to be fat. If they ask for my advice I will gladly give it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't try to convince anybody because I don't care what other people think about calories or dieting. It doesn't affect me at all so I don't spend time or energy on it.

Life is much easier when you stop caring about stuff that has no effect on you.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You could offer to do an experiment.....let her do keto, and eat what she wants, and you do CICO, and offer to compare results. She *might* learn that way, but she might not is she doesn't want to
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Wisdom from my mom: Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

You do you :)