Explaining weight loss to closed minded people

Options
How in the world do you convince someone they can’t eat as much as they want on the keto diet, the low carb diet, the whatever fad diet there is out there? It’s infuriating!

My friend wants to do the keto diet and thinks that she can eat as much as she wants of the food that’s allowed on the keto diet. I can not convince her weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. You can eat what you want if ya under your daily calorie burn. Granted you shouldn’t eat nothing but chips burgers and candy even if it IS under your calorie goal but still...you technically could eat that stuff and lose if you eat under calories.

I’m amazed at the amount of people that don’t understand calories in < calories out=weight loss. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Wish her luck and tell her your offer to learn about what really leads to long term, healthy and sustainable weight loss (CICO) still stands and you will be happy to help her if/when she is ready.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Horse....water. Some people must learn from experience.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    'How in the world do you convince someone they can’t eat as much as they want'

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. You can't convince anyone that diets don't work either. It's exhausting so you simply walk away. Family members are the most difficult of all.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about it unless I'm asked. Most of my friends have jumped on various fad diet bandwagons at one point or another. Unless they do something seriously dangerous, I don't bother trying to convince them otherwise. They've talked to me about my weight loss so they know what I did already. They have to come to the realization of how to lose weight sustainably on their own just like I did.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    You can't convince a closed-minded person of anything. Save the energy for someone willing to listen.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Kmarie8212 wrote: »
    How in the world do you convince someone they can’t eat as much as they want on the keto diet, the low carb diet, the whatever fad diet there is out there? It’s infuriating!

My friend wants to do the keto diet and thinks that she can eat as much as she wants of the food that’s allowed on the keto diet. I can not convince her weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. You can eat what you want if ya under your daily calorie burn. Granted you shouldn’t eat nothing but chips burgers and candy even if it IS under your calorie goal but still...you technically could eat that stuff and lose if you eat under calories.

I’m amazed at the amount of people that don’t understand calories in < calories out=weight loss. 🤦🏻‍♀️

If they're not willing to listen to you about CICO, just let them do whatever they are doing, maybe some day they'll actually understand it's about that when they see their 654th diet failed.

I hate it when I then get stuck into an argument over something silly like carbs where they feel that carbs are the devil and the reason they gained weight. Problem is that on tv, carbs are always pointed as the culprit, so people feed off from that information alone.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I did something that worked for me but I understand it's not for everybody. You do you.
  • Kmarie8212
    Kmarie8212 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did something that worked for me but I understand it's not for everybody. You do you.

I’m not saying following a specific diet plan is a bad thing as long as your aware of the fact you won’t lose unless your under daily calories. It’s the mindset that you can eat what you want within those diet guidelines and still lose.

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you care. You do what works for you and let her try something the may work for her.