Food addiction. One extreme or the other

Options
I am a food addict.
I am addicted to eating it. Im also addicted to being a health fiend.
When I fall into my junk food trap, it's out of control. Cream puffs, pie, lasagna with fresh mozz, cheesecake, breads, cupcakes. Anything rich and delicious i adore. From the way it tastes, to the texture, the the depth of flavors, to the joyful anticipation as im filling cupcakes with cream fillings, just delighted to take that first bite. I'll sit and think up new recipes all day long.
And when i decide to kick it into gear, i love that proud feeling of self control, my mind twirls with ideas of meal plans, snack plans, water plans. Calorie counting, and learning what foods have what benefits. Delicious healthy smoothie recipes, coming up with smart dessert recipes and how to make my sinful food choices in a more nutricious way.

I have food on my mind all the time. I just love food, it can be a blessing, it can be a curse. If i could manage to switch my mind into gear, and live in my healthy way, I would be set. However its a constant battle of which side wins. Because of this i've had to lose over 100lbs twice. And thankfully this time, i realized i was getting out of control before i had to do it again. I maintained 10lbs away from my ultimate goal weight for 6 years before that pesky little devil within resurfaced itself. Now instead of being 10lbs away, i am 50lbs away.

Is there anyone else out there who is a food addict, or who has spent most of their life dieting?

I've gotten to the point now where i'm sick of it. I have many other things i'd rather think about and focus on. I want to be normal, i want to be one of those people who just lives, eats when their hungry, gets dressed, does things that need to be done, or go out and have fun and thats that. I think about food and dieting so much that it consumes me, and it has for a very long time.

Replies

• momma3times
    momma3times Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I could have written this post myself. I don't have a solution for you, but I understand your feelings completely.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This shoulds so much like me!! I think of food all the time it doesn't matter if im tracking calories or not.
  • sonyajohnston1006
    sonyajohnston1006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am here with you, food is always on my mind-i love it and I am totally addicted to everything about it. I am now on my second round of losing weight when I previously lost over 50lbs and then put it back on and 2 weeks ago I had had enough and started to be more careful and now am obsessing in the other “healthy” direction. I think the goal here is to realize that we all have our addictions... food is glorious however it isn’t all life has to offer-find other things that make you happy so you can enjoy your food (the healthier options and then even the “bad” options) but enjoy your entire life as well, not just the parts you are tasting. If you’d like to add me I’d love to have you as a friend on here, I didn’t realize there was even a community section and found it tonight and I am so happy I did. Life is about balance but it’s really hard... like REALLY hard, we all need friends who can help us keep it in perspective and support and understand us. 💖 You will make your goal and be able to maintain it, you just need a support system like we all do
  • williamwj2017
    williamwj2017 Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sucks you feel that you're not "normal" everyone has their bad habits, mine is energy drinks. I have an unhealthy habits with food too but the thing that's helped me the most is recognizing my problem and learning to deal with it. At least you know you have a problem, just continue working on it. Never give up. Dont beat yourself up when you binge but use that bad feeling to keep pushing you forward in bettering yourself.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm also a food addict. I understand
  • sillypandas
    sillypandas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Its comforting to know there are others like me, or very similar. Just knowing im not alone, and hearing just the smallest tips and tricks are helpful! Its hard in my daily life to find people who share the same struggle. If i happen to tell anyone they try to be understanding, but its clear that it doesnt really click, and i feel like maybe im just out of my mind. Especially being in the healthcare field which adds a whole new element of "i should know better, i should be different".
  • sillypandas
    sillypandas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sucks you feel that you're not "normal" everyone has their bad habits, mine is energy drinks. I have an unhealthy habits with food too but the thing that's helped me the most is recognizing my problem and learning to deal with it. At least you know you have a problem, just continue working on it. Never give up. Dont beat yourself up when you binge but use that bad feeling to keep pushing you forward in bettering yourself.

I know all about the energy drink issue. I am highly addicted to them. And by highly addicted i mean i drink 3 or more a day. I tried cutting them out once and i ended up being so sick i was hunched over the deck dry heaving, literally feeling like i was going to pass out. it makes it especially hard because i work the grave shift AND i've cut out my "comfort junk food" that "kept me sane" during my shift. Now i feel like I NEED my lo carb monsters or i simply wont survive the night without having a break down.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone (if you look at my food diary I could've written your post). I took a break from therapy but my self sabotage has gotten so bad I'm going back on Friday.

I am 100% a control freak and I am in control of my food consumption but now I'm at the point where it is controlling me.....
  • jgarciavalenz
    jgarciavalenz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Read my recent post :)
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Me too! Food addict here! Been crying out loud to God!
    Doing my best to help myself be healed from this!
    Lets take this one step at a time!
    Add me!
    I'd love to have an accountability and support here!
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I struggle every single day with my food addiction
  • Jasmine1995xoxo
    Jasmine1995xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I am a perfectionist when it comes to food so when I have one slip up, I tend to think I've failed so decide to binge. I've gone from extremely underweight to a weight 2 stone heavier from my ideal weight. It's a struggle, I love food so very much but also love the control that comes from restricting. You're not alone 😂
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Liana_Ish wrote: »
    Why did you @ me on this? :D
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Liana_Ish wrote: »
    Why did you @ me on this? :D

You know why.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Think diabetes. The more simple sugars you consume the harder it gets for your pancreas and liver to handle it and eventually your either diabetic or pre-diabetic and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Most people don't even realize they have it until its too late. Sugar, in all it's forms, was never intended to be in the levels the average person consumes.

Packaged and processed foods, baked goods and yes even Monster drinks all contain way too much sugar (and salt) and if you continue to eat it, your organs will simply cease to function properly.

Most people are more concerned about their weight rather than their overall health. Cutting carbohydrates (sugars) to no more than 150g per day can literally save your life and jumpstart that weight loss journey.

P.S. if you get sick when you don't get enough energy drinks then you are at an addiction level and it's time to get that out of your system.

No....sugar is not the cause! Overweight...genetcs and nobody knows why for type 1. These sre the causes not sugar.