bread, rice, pasta, potatoes

Options
So I had cut bread, rice, pasta and potatoes completely out of my diet for a month to help me get on track with eating more fruits and veggies and less processed foods. I have started to eat small amounts of some "bread" type things like home made muffins stuffed with all sorts of extra goodies like flax, chia, hemp hearts, oatmeal, etc and the occasional tortilla wrap. I don't intend to not eat these foods forever, but i am a carb fiend and found that cutting them out entirely was easier then reducing for me.

someone commented today that cutting these out is bad for me. I guess excuse my ignorance but is this true? and in what way?
thanks.

Replies

• itsme1974
    Options
    I can only speak for myself (as you know, no two people are the same) but I have not eaten bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or beans in a year and I couldn't be healthier. Lots of veggies and fruit, lean meats and minimal dairy.
    Listen to your body, if you are not feeling right, then change up your diet. :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ask the person who told you thy are bad for you. Perhaps they were worried you weren't getting enough carbohydrates? Or perhaps they meant it's not a good idea psychologically to cut out foods you enjoy?

I personally haven't found the need to cut any of those things. I eat them all on a regular basis and haven't had any difficulty losing/maintaining weight, and I am healthier than I've ever been BUT you have to do what works for you, obviously. :) I can't see any reason cutting those things out would be bad for your physically. It sounds like you're getting plenty of nutrients from what you are eating.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of carbs in the fruits and vegetables. No one needs to eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. You can choose to have them or not as works for you.
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    Each to their own really. I try not to over indulge in carbs, but I'm not a low carb dieter either. The common carbs that bulk up a meal - rice, pasta, potatoes - take up too many calories for my liking. But I do eat high foods everyday anyway. My worst culprit is low fat yogurt, only 129 cals but 19.4g of carbs :sad:
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses.

maybe she thought those were the only forms of complex carbs? who knows. i know that i feel great so i wasnt too concerned!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    kem05 wrote: »
    Each to their own really. I try not to over indulge in carbs, but I'm not a low carb dieter either. The common carbs that bulk up a meal - rice, pasta, potatoes - take up too many calories for my liking. But I do eat high foods everyday anyway. My worst culprit is low fat yogurt, only 129 cals but 19.4g of carbs :sad:

The Fage 0 fat yoghurt is 54kcal for 100grams and only 4g carbs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    So I had cut bread, rice, pasta and potatoes completely out of my diet for a month to help me get on track with eating more fruits and veggies and less processed foods. I have started to eat small amounts of some "bread" type things like home made muffins stuffed with all sorts of extra goodies like flax, chia, hemp hearts, oatmeal, etc and the occasional tortilla wrap. I don't intend to not eat these foods forever, but i am a carb fiend and found that cutting them out entirely was easier then reducing for me.

someone commented today that cutting these out is bad for me. I guess excuse my ignorance but is this true? and in what way?
    thanks.

For some people, a very restrictive way of eating can lead to a binge. So cutting out whole foods groups can be bad psychologically. Your plan does not seem to be bad nutritionally.

You said you were a carb fiend - I assume you had cravings? How are your cravings now versus then?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's bad or good flat out; depends if it's bad or good *for you*. I wouldn't do well because I would likely binge. That said, I drastically reduced my carb intake by getting them out of the house and forcing myself to have portion control by only having servings at a restaurant. Others don't do well with low carb in general. If it's working for you, keep it up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sme people believe that if you cut something out of your diet, you will crave it so much that you end up overeating it. Frequently, they believe this will happen to you because it happened to them.

Other people cut stuff for a while, then work small amounts in.

Some people limit certain foods to special occasions or eliminate them entirely.

Everyone has to find the way that works for them.

Trust your instincts. Try what you think will work for you. If it doesn't work, try something else. Don't worry about how others do it. They can't lose your weight. Only you can lose your weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In a general sense there is nothing wrong with cutting those foods from your diet or with including them in your diet. What's important is eating a balanced diet and not overeating. That can be done with or without the foods mentioned.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

thanks.

This is the problem I had. The whole eating well and exercising thing is for weight loss......oookkaaayyy.

Then what? ..........I've lost weight and regained it. One of my favorite quotes I read here: temporary changes = temporary results. I think this is why the elimination thing doesn't work for most people.

I need to manage breads, pastas, etc (while losing weight) because I DO plan on eating them in the future too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's bad or good flat out; depends if it's bad or good *for you*.

This. If you feel good and are happy eating that way, I don't see why it would be bad for you. Nutritionally it's fine, although I happen to think potatoes are worth including in my own diet for nutritional reasons (plus I really like them) and similarly I find that pasta makes a nice base for a super healthy meal with lots of vegetables and some lean meat in a homemade sauce. But then I rarely eat rice and tend not to eat much bread because they usually aren't worth the calories to me, so it really depends on the individual.