Burnt out. Don’t care. Need to care...

Options
I am so tired of calorie counting. Macro counting. Weighing. Calculating. But the moment I don’t when I go in our weekend getaways, is a stressful week at work, or whatever, I gain exponentially. I do not go off the deep end and put every high cal thing or deep fried or sugar filled thing in my mouth. Yuck. I can’t even imagine. But seriously I’m tired of always being on high alert. How do you all who maintain weight for years do it? Does anyone else just say screw it?! Life is too short!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No, because that would be All or Nothing Thinking for me. Do things perfectly or go down the rabbit hole. There's no need to go full bore, pedal to the metal on high alert. I don't budget the weekends for thrill eating or Cheat Meals. I stopped thinking about short-term goals and started thinking about the rest of my life. Contemplating the big picture while giving oneself all of the permission to go Oooo soooo slowly takes the stress off. I don't think about life being short but going all the way into old age. Pain is the precursor to change. When one's health is knocking up against the rocks it's difficult to enjoy anything. Start now and plan waaay ahead for whatever is coming down the road. Take your health to the bank, make all of the deposits while you can.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    But sincerely, and of course there will be those that don’t understand, but when I do this I gain weight I don’t take off. I swear, I do not overboard. My main thing is having too much too drink when on vacay. Have no idea how not to be all In or gain. Don’t know how to balance this
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. Giving a *kitten* is much easier than not giving a *kitten* when it comes to dieting. It's actually one of the hardest challenges for me personally, because when I don't care, I just don't. It's a complete mental switch.

At least you've identified your main thing. If it's the drinking, maybe drink lower calorie things, slower, with sips of water, or I don't know. Can't give much advice there because I only drink rarely and sparingly. I know I give myself permission to gain weight on holidays, a specific number. I also know I'm mostly in the "IDGAF" mode when I'm stressed, and I found having a certain routine helps. For example: no snacking between meals if I can make myself do it, prep to have lower calorie meals at least a few days a week (when I can get myself to care enough to do it), skip a meal a couple of times a week...etc. Basically, I try to do at least something, may not be everything I want, but it would help me gain less than doing nothing.

How much do you usually gain in what time frame, not counting water weight?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    But sincerely, and of course there will be those that don’t understand, but when I do this I gain weight I don’t take off. I swear, I do not overboard. My main thing is having too much too drink when on vacay. Have no idea how not to be all In or gain. Don’t know how to balance this
    So, it’s normal to gain a couple of pounds very quickly when you go from being in a deficit to being at maintenance. Lots of people lose to a few pounds below their goal weight for exactly that reason.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out how to incorporate this into your life in a way that feels natural. Remember, you're making changes that you want to sustain for the rest of your life. Think about what your goals are, and how you can meet them without being on "high alert."
  • looney9708
    Options

Are you confusing water weight with fat gain when the scales go up?

No. It is real fat gain. Although there is some water weight in there. I told myself at first it was water gain but over time it has become real fat that needs to die.
  • looney9708
    Options
    You have to figure out how to incorporate this into your life in a way that feels natural. Remember, you're making changes that you want to sustain for the rest of your life. Think about what your goals are, and how you can meet them without being on "high alert."
    I completely understand. Giving a *kitten* is much easier than not giving a *kitten* when it comes to dieting. It's actually one of the hardest challenges for me personally, because when I don't care, I just don't. It's a complete mental switch.

At least you've identified your main thing. If it's the drinking, maybe drink lower calorie things, slower, with sips of water, or I don't know. Can't give much advice there because I only drink rarely and sparingly. I know I give myself permission to gain weight on holidays, a specific number. I also know I'm mostly in the "IDGAF" mode when I'm stressed, and I found having a certain routine helps. For example: no snacking between meals if I can make myself do it, prep to have lower calorie meals at least a few days a week (when I can get myself to care enough to do it), skip a meal a couple of times a week...etc. Basically, I try to do at least something, may not be everything I want, but it would help me gain less than doing nothing.

How much do you usually gain in what time frame, not counting water weight?

Yes I can maintain with food. But it’s the celebrating of having a couple beers at a brewery at lunch and then happy hour and a after dinner night cap. But those are some of the funniest moments. But luckily/unfortunately in my life, I’m faced with a lot of friends and moments like this. I need to find a better balance. It could be 5# a weekend/month but 3 of those being water weight and 2 being real fat. But I need to cut to get rid of those extra 2. Over 3 years its become 10#s. Slow and steady gain. But if you are good 90% of the time then over budget 10%, you are still over budget and not in a deficit.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I make sure to enjoy life within limits. I eat a certain way during the week to make room for indulgences during the weekend. This might not work for everyone, but it works for me and allows me to live the life I want, enjoy parties, functions, restaurants, family dinners while still reaching my goals. I don't like tracking my food so I also found a way to eat intuitively, however, that can be a slippery slope for some people, so you have to do what works for you. In the end, it's about consistency and progress, not perfection.

Isn't there a saying that goes: "Perfection is the enemy of good" ? Good words to live by.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

Maybe it's time to look at your alcohol consumption. This will no doubt spark many posts about how people have managed to consume as much alcohol as they wish and maintain, or lose weight. But you have identified yourself as not among them. Is the vacay drinking worth it? If it is, then work on acceptance. If it isn't, then work on change.

Yeah, I no longer drink regularly. It makes me hungry and not sleep well, so hungrier (and less active) the next day as well.

I'd probably drink on vacation though - I haven't had a proper vacation since I became an independent contractor in 2012.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You gotta look up "all or nothing thinking". It's worn out more than one dieter.

https://www.verywellmind.com/living-in-the-grey-4015286