What do you think about while you exercise?

Options
I was reading the "questions about brisk walking" thread, and made a comment that I thought might be a good conversation starter, as well as help motivate people who have a hard time finding the activities they do fun ... to exercise.

I walk daily, at least 10k steps, so I'm spending some time on my feet. When I get out, I'm not just thinking about the exercise. I'm wondering about the world. I'm finding interesting things to look at (a bug crawling across my path can be interesting to watch, as I wonder where it's destination may be). I'm imagining and fantasizing things that have been, that are, and that could be. I'm keeping my mind open to the sights, sounds and smells around me as I stride. As I stated in the other thread, I have been an astronaut, a knight, and been chased by zombies, among many other imaginations ... all while I walk.

So, what do you think about when you exercise?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I'm usually thinking about what I've got to do next ... later in the day, later in the week, later in the month.

Unless I'm on a long bicycle ride. Then I do a "mind-dump" of all the things I've got to do for an hour or two, and that frees me up to start to relax and enjoy the ride, the scenery, and to contemplate stories around the things I'm seeing. That's hugely stress relieving.

Sadly I haven't been on a good 4+ hour bicycle ride in a while, so I haven't had a chance to do the mind-dump >>>> freedom thing. I miss it.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    30 seconds till sprint lol
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I usually use a treadmill at the gym so what I think about depends on the person who is on the piece of equipment ahead of mine. Kidding of course, random thoughts about this, that, everything and nothing.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My form and body functioning. When working out, it is the only time I can 'shut down' from the real world around me.

When running, I try to focus on the beat of the music and the form and rhythm of my body. When walking, simply the base in the music. When lifting, my breathing and my form.

I have too much in my head all day long. I can't wait to work out simply to stop thinking!!!!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am always either listening to a podcast or watching Netflix or Amazon when I'm working out.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I primarily lift weights and typically listen to a podcast (few different sports talk or fantasy sports ones) that doesn't require so much attention such that I lose focus on what I'm doing so I can focus on form, rep tempo, etc.

Occasionally I'll be on the phone to catch up with a friend with whom I used to work. If I lift in the afternoon it's around the same time he does so we'll chat as quasi-long-distance workout buddies.

I've learned I'm just not that big a fan of most music (especially traditional "pump-up" workout songs) and music I do like gets me caught up in thought rather than focusing on the task at hand.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I run along a pretty trail in a rural area and spend a lot of my runs thinking about the wildflowers and gambolling cows, and the setting sun glistening off the river and how perfect nature is.
    Last night was hot and I forgot to take water with me so I spent most of the run thinking about how much I'd rather be in a hot tub drinking prosecco.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    During my lifting sessions, I think about pushing myself in order to reach my goals, I think about how many reps I have left and if I can do it, sometimes I actually visualize the muscle growing, or which muscles I should be using if I can. If it is more strength, I will focus on form and moving the weight.

If it is cardio I just think about getting through it, or being in a music video
  • tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty focused on my actual lift while working out, trying to hit the whole "mind-body" connection. If it's cardio then all bets are off and my mind is all over the place
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    If I'm listening to a podcast (running or weight related things) I think about whatever I'm listening to. In the pool I think about breathing and my form, bike - it depends on whether or not I'm outside. If I'm inside I think about the next interval, outside it runs the gamut.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

If it is cardio I just think about getting through it, or being in a music video

LOL!

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Literally the pump. Mind-muscle connection and really focusing on squeezing the most out of each rep.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Morning walks with the dog - usually planning out the day ahead

Lifting - I'm just thinking about the lift

Cycling - it just depends...my day...upcoming trip...that's a big *kitten* hill...*kitten* headwind, etc.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Tempo, explosive contraction, slow negative. Lifting cues, does this feel right/proper form/can/should I do more reps? Should I go up in weight next set? What exercise I'm going to do next (Supersets almost everything). Have to pay attention to surrounding equipment available as well.

Absolutely can not bring a phone into the gym or any other distraction (just kills all the fun/fast pace, much less enjoyable).

Cardio (LISS) on the other hand, reading & listening to music videos (boredom killers)