What do you think about while you exercise?

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    When I am lifting, I think about lifting and counting my reps. When I am doing some cardio machine I listen to books. When I swim I think about absolutely nothing, I think it is the only time that ever happens. Sometimes I think about how many laps I have done and how far that is in miles (or portions of miles). When I go to 9Rounds I think about finishing, I also have the distraction of seeing my heartrate on the screen on the gym wall.
  • summersmama2
    summersmama2 Posts: 7 Member
    I watch Netflix while I do my cardio (treadmill, elliptical, bike) at the gym. Helps pass time faster!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    While lifting, I think about nothing. I've heard "get out of your own head" enough times from my trainer that I can shut off my brain...most of the time.

During cardio, I mostly think about cardio being over.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    o this is hard. pray. space out. sing. o this is hard. pray. omg im dieing I have to stop. I can do this. sing. space out etc etc.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2018
    When I'm on the treadmill, which is very boring, I compose poems in my head. Then I rush home and post them on Facebook. LOL. My FB feed is filled with tons of stream-of-consciousness poetry about anything and everything. Some pretty good. Some not.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    My wife mostly, or what ever else my mind wanders too
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Girls
    And Football

.... okay, mostly girls.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I’m a teacher. My mind usually follows this pattern (how far I get depends on the length of the exercise):

In the beginning I think about the kids that frustrated me or that I’m worried about.
    Next I remember it’s not personal and spend time thinking about how to get through to them.
    Next, - oh look, something cool - I start to actually look around and just feel my body. Enjoy the sweat and the effort.
    Next I think about what I’d like to accomplish and set some goals.
    Oh, look another cool thing...
    D@#n I’m tired. How far away is the house?

What will I cook for supper? How many calories are in the budget?
    Man,It’s good to be home. The world is round and good again.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I work out in the gym, either watching t.v. or reading a magazine or book, I find the time moves quickest with a good book.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Running usually clears my head of just about everything. However, I am pretty darn good at thinking of food!
  • Napper6969
    Napper6969 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    When I jog I think about how I'll be the only survivor amongst all the fat, lazy, drunken people I know when we're being chased through the woods by a serial killer!
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    If I am at the gym, then its "is this over yet". If I am outside, I am just paying attention to my surroundings, my dog, neighbors, wildlife, etc... and possibly "is this over yet". :sweat_smile:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    During steady state machine cardio I'm watching TV shows on my iPad. It's almost the only telly I watch any more so it's nice to see some things. Out running or hiking, and sometimes lifting, it's audiobooks and podcasts. I have a lot of things I want to consume and love to multitask :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Well, when I'm walking, I'm often brainstorming for a fanfic I'm writing. When strength-training, I'm mostly keeping track of reps.

I'm currently training to run my first 5K and I'm noticing that when I do my once-a-week run with the group, I'm fine a half-step behind the leader. But when I do my other two weekly runs on my own time, when it's just me, pacing is an issue. If there's someone ahead of me on the track, something makes me want to speed up and pass them. This is the first time I've attempted any sort of distance running. I used to be a slightly above-average sprinter in elementary school and there's still something in me that wants to go all out right from the start. So I keep telling myself, "This is a run, not a race. This is a distance run, not a sprint. This is about building stamina, not maximum speed. Just do you." Doesn't completely fix the problem, but it's helping.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Anything and everything under the sun. I try to spend 8 hours a week on the bike, and go to the gym at lunch three days a week. So there's a lot of time to think. How much I'm crushing it today, I love my wheels, this is fun, to stuff that happened in my day, or how I'm going to reverse climate change and win a Nobel Prize.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    What number was that...did I do my 3rd set or 4th...what song is this..I don’t remember this being on my playlist..ooo I like this song...damn is that rep #7 or #8...am I about to kick the crap out of this guy that’s walking behind me while I am doing these kickbacks...basically “squirrel” every five seconds..but that’s a normal day for me and yet I still get it done so there’s that.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Nothing really. Just focused on the next mile in my run and singing along to the music I'm listening to.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    The muscle group I'm working.... my breathing.... seeing if i can raise my toes another half inch higher or whatever it is I'm working on... I try as much as possible to focus entirely on my workout and escape from every other thought in my head. Exercise is basically my anxiety-relief/adrenaline burn.... the more I can get my mind to laser focus on my physical workout, the better I usually feel after. I like to push so hard that I really can't hang on to a thought in my head - that actually relaxes me, if that makes sense!