30 days on MFP

Options
Junebug2022
Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
I’m kind of in a rut. 2 weeks in I was down 14 pounds, 2 weeks after that im up 2 pounds. I’m try to eat more food, trying to take 5,000 steps a day (stall around 4500), trying to lift weighs 3 times a week.

Trying to not throw the towel in. If I don’t see these pounds coming off it’s going to much harder to keep trying. 😓

My diary is open if you wanna help me out!
Im 6’1 460 and i dont think i should be trying this hard to lose a pound!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't try hard. Work smart. Educate yourself on how weightloss works.
    Be patient. Stick to your calorie goal and be as accurate as you can when you log.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm certain it took you far longer than 30 days to gain all that weight so it only makes sense that it will take you far longer than 30 days to lose it.

12-14lbs in a month is an incredible loss, even given your starting weight. Rather than being discouraged by how much you haven't lost, celebrate your success! You should be proud of what you have accomplished.

Be patient, understand that weight loss is not linear and fluctuations are normal, take measurements and photos to help you see progress even when the scale isn't moving and, most of all, keep at it. You can do this. Good luck to you!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You will have some fluctuations, especially if the exercise is new. Also, if your muscles are sore from lifting, they are probably retaining water, so you will show an increase in the scale. Just stick with it and watch for a general downward trend, not necessarily a loss everyday.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights, might I recommend measuring more than weighing? I lost over 10 inches, all while bouncing between 187-190 for a MONTH. It was so freaking stressful, but I felt so much better about it when I knew that continued small steps were working *behind the scenes* so to speak. It's taken me 7 months to lose 30 pounds, and yes, that's slow - but I've really been working on changing lifestyle - not just being on a diet. And for once, I'm actually down, consistently, and feeling pretty good about it. Don't get discouraged. Weight loss is a big pain in the butt; but in the long run - it's worth it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    If you're lifting weights, might I recommend measuring more than weighing? I lost over 10 inches, all while bouncing between 187-190 for a MONTH. It was so freaking stressful, but I felt so much better about it when I knew that continued small steps were working *behind the scenes* so to speak. It's taken me 7 months to lose 30 pounds, and yes, that's slow - but I've really been working on changing lifestyle - not just being on a diet. And for once, I'm actually down, consistently, and feeling pretty good about it. Don't get discouraged. Weight loss is a big pain in the butt; but in the long run - it's worth it.

With all due respect, OP weighs 460 lbs. He needs to see some weight loss, not some change on a tape measure. Your experience, at your starting weight, really isn't applicable to someone in OP's situation.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

With all due respect, OP weighs 460 lbs. He needs to see some weight loss, not some change on a tape measure. Your experience, at your starting weight, really isn't applicable to someone in OP's situation.

There can be periods of time where the scale doesn't change but the body shape does, regardless of starting weight. Measurements are a fine way to track progress along with weighing oneself. With all due respect, don't be so negative when people are being helpful with perfectly valid suggestions.

• lynn_glenmont
    Options

There can be periods of time where the scale doesn't change but the body shape does, regardless of starting weight. Measurements are a fine way to track progress along with weighing oneself. With all due respect, don't be so negative when people are being helpful with perfectly valid suggestions.

If someone who weighs 460 lbs is seeing "progress" with a tape measure and no weight loss, the odds are extremely high that the "progress" is a result of user error with the tape measure (lots of people at any weight have problems being consistent in where they are taking their measurements, and at 460 lbs, it is likely that typical references like narrowest or widest areas at waist and hips may not be very helpful, and maintaining a consistent horizontal line as you measure around the torso will also be more than ordinarily difficult).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Stick to your calorie goal, trust the process. If you're new to exercise your muscles are likely retaining water. You lost 14 lbs in a month, that's awesome.
  • Junebug2022
    Options
    Appreciate the comments, but....but im kinda feeling like my problems are more f-ed up than I thought after reading them. 😭😅

Idk, guess i keep on keeping on.
  • moronicbliss
    moronicbliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just be as consistent as you can and take it day by day, step by step. One thing that might help in the beginning is to not weigh yourself for a few weeks. For me the expectation to lose and then not seeing the numbers I feel like I've worked for gives my self-defeating side a reason to rise up and say eff it. Sometimes you have to tell that part of yourself to shut up so you can keep powering through. You'll have ups and downs, but in the end if you stick to your plan you'll get to a happier place. Keep at it. You've got this!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself? What is your weighing procedure? Are you weighing in the morning before you eat or drink anything after you visit the restroom? Are you wearing the same clothes or no clothes?

Even with your larger deficit you should go ahead and read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

I hope you are not spending too much money on the stuff in your Snack section because none of that will help you lose weight.

My thinking is that you should be down 6ish lbs of fat in the second 2 weeks if you are logging your food correctly. If so, you are up 8lbs of water which is possible but we should check some things (like your weighing procedure) to be sure. Technically speaking you would be down 8 lbs if MFP has your numbers right but we will get to that later.

ETA: You may see people say that weight loss is not linear and that is true because your weight can fluctuate up and down. At 460 though you would be really likely to see some loss in 2 weeks even if some of it is masked by water gain.

• lynn_glenmont
    Options
    1) Your logged calorie intake has been kind of all over the place, but you were definitely eating a lot less in the first half of the month than you have in the last week or so, so it's not surprising if you've had some extreme water fluctuations that have masked a slower rate of loss more recently.

2) Are you using a food scale to weigh your food? Don't take this question personally. Logging errors are extremely common. Measuring solids by volume (cups, tablespoons) or just eyeballing them, or even relying on labels on packaged foods to accurately reflect the servings can produce surprisingly large errors in calorie tracking. If you think you're eating 1900 to 2300 kcals a day five days a week, and 2800 to 3500 the other two days, but you're underestimating by 20% (not at all uncommon), your deficit could be a lot smaller than you think. (Although it's hard to imagine you're not still at a deficit -- your TDEE should be over 4000.)
  • Junebug2022
    Options
    (Although it's hard to imagine you're not still at a deficit -- your TDEE should be over 4000.)

This is my issue, i know about weighing my food, it got tedious the last time i was using this site. It took longer to make the food then to eat it. I didn’t want to go down that riad again so i was eating no where my recommended calories are at.

I been losing weight since January. I just started using a scale on April 27th i lost around 30 pounds by June 27th. Its July 27th and i only lost 12 pounds. And this last 2 weekd ive been trying to eat more... less... anything to move my weight. Nothing works so im ordering a scale and trying to eat around the recommended calories until it gets here.

Idk whats up, but CICO isn’t doing a damn thing for me the last month.
  • Junebug2022
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    How often are you weighing yourself? What is your weighing procedure? Are you weighing in the morning before you eat or drink anything after you visit the restroom? Are you wearing the same clothes or no clothes?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

I hope you are not spending too much money on the stuff in your Snack section because none of that will help you lose weight.

My thinking is that you should be down 6ish lbs of fat in the second 2 weeks if you are logging your food correctly. If so, you are up 8lbs of water which is possible but we should check some things (like your weighing procedure) to be sure. Technically speaking you would be down 8 lbs if MFP has your numbers right but we will get to that later.

ETA: You may see people say that weight loss is not linear and that is true because your weight can fluctuate up and down. At 460 though you would be really likely to see some loss in 2 weeks even if some of it is masked by water gain.

I take vitamins and minerals for the vitamins and minerals, not to lose weight. Only thing i take for weight in that section is apple cider vinegar.

I weighing myself wayyyy too much, morning, midday, night.... anytime i was free and thinking about my weight. I always weigh myself in my boxers, usually after i use the bathroom on an empty stomach. I put the scale away yesterday and in not going to weigh myself until the 1st.

Ive been floating around 460-465 for 2 weeks. I’m eat more and and see if that helps, thats the only thing i got left. I don’t understand how people get their stomachs removed or sleeve and they lost weight eating way lower calories, but if I constantly eat 1200-1500 i lose nothing or just 12 pounds for a month??!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The only thing apple cider vinegar will do is etch your teeth. You ought not want that.

You mentioned that using the scale to prepare food was taking too long. How was that?

I, and many others, find that using a scale to precisely measure our food is quite easy and quick.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I didn't realize you had been losing weight since January. Now it makes more sense. You have stalled because of water weight and because you are stressing over it you are making it worse. Putting the scale away is a good idea and just try and relax.

3lbs a week is a good rate of loss though and you have been doing it since your April weigh-in.

I strongly suggest you focus on being happy during this process. It helps the time go by faster. Find yourself a calorie goal you like and focus on consistency and the weight will come off.

Oh and apple cider vinegar will not help you lose weight either... sorry. That is just one of those internet tall tales based on very sketchy research.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Also, you might consider weighing more like once every 30 days. It takes that long for a real problem to present itself anyway and you haven't responded well to checking it more often. The whole idea of changing your eating to make the scale move is just the kind of thing that you absolutely should not be doing or even thinking about. And weighing yourself multiple times a day and being frustrated is the kind of stress that can make you retain water.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    (Although it's hard to imagine you're not still at a deficit -- your TDEE should be over 4000.)

This is my issue, i know about weighing my food, it got tedious the last time i was using this site. It took longer to make the food then to eat it. I didn’t want to go down that riad again so i was eating no where my recommended calories are at.

I been losing weight since January. I just started using a scale on April 27th i lost around 30 pounds by June 27th. Its July 27th and i only lost 12 pounds. And this last 2 weekd ive been trying to eat more... less... anything to move my weight. Nothing works so im ordering a scale and trying to eat around the recommended calories until it gets here.

Idk whats up, but CICO isn’t doing a damn thing for me the last month.

I take vitamins and minerals for the vitamins and minerals, not to lose weight. Only thing i take for weight in that section is apple cider vinegar.

I weighing myself wayyyy too much, morning, midday, night.... anytime i was free and thinking about my weight. I always weigh myself in my boxers, usually after i use the bathroom on an empty stomach. I put the scale away yesterday and in not going to weigh myself until the 1st.

Ive been floating around 460-465 for 2 weeks. I’m eat more and and see if that helps, thats the only thing i got left. I don’t understand how people get their stomachs removed or sleeve and they lost weight eating way lower calories, but if I constantly eat 1200-1500 i lose nothing or just 12 pounds for a month??!!

12 pounds in a month is not "nothing." Especially when you're seven months into the process. And if you lost 30 lbs between April 27 and June 27, and you've lost 12 pounds since June 27, you've lost more in the last month than you averaged per month in the three months before that.

And according to your diary, you have not been "constantly" eating 1200 to 1500 cals in the past month -- you've been all over the place in how many cals you've been eating. It looked to me like you've averaged around 2000 calories or so over the last month, and more like 2400 in the past 10 days or so.

Your problem is not that you're not losing weight. It's that your expectations are high, and your ability to recognize success as success.

Finally, if you change your strategy ("eat more... less... anything") multiple times in the span of two weeks, even if you have a result that you do recognize as success, you won't really know what caused it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont From April 27th to today it has only been 91 days so he did lose slightly faster for the 2 months prior to this one. Doesn't really matter though as your reply was on the money in every other way.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont From April 27th to today it has only been 91 days so he did lose slightly faster for the 2 months prior to this one. Doesn't really matter though as your reply was on the money in every other way.

Good point. Shouldn't try to count when I'm tired and distracted. ("April, that's one month; May, that's a second month; June, that's a third month." :smile: )

Also, in that same post, I really should have said "inability to recognize success." (Or better yet, some construction in which the part about expectations and success were either both clauses or both noun phrases, not one of each. I just shouldn't write when I'm tired to distracted. But then I probably never would.)