30 days on MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is my issue, i know about weighing my food, it got tedious the last time i was using this site. It took longer to make the food then to eat it. I didn’t want to go down that riad again so i was eating no where my recommended calories are at.
    You will have to accept that you have to make an effort, but logging food shouldn't take very long when you've got yourself a collection of foods you eat regularly, and use a food scale efficiently. You don't have to eat hundreds of different foods every day, just get in some food from each food group, and enough, but not too many calories.
    And this last 2 weekd ive been trying to eat more... less... anything to move my weight.
    If your goal is to lose weight and you're not losing weight, the solution is never to eat more. It's just you who wants to eat more. So ask yourself what you want more: Lose weight, or eat more?
    Nothing works so im ordering a scale and trying to eat around the recommended calories until it gets here.
    Eating the recommendes calories, works, but you may not be eating the recommended calories if you don't use a food scale.
    I been losing weight since January. I just started using a scale on April 27th i lost around 30 pounds by June 27th. Its July 27th and i only lost 12 pounds.

Idk whats up, but CICO isn’t doing a damn thing for me the last month.
    I know what's up. You don't know what CICO is, and you're not counting calories properly.
    Only thing i take for weight in that section is apple cider vinegar.
    Stop that, especially if you think logging food is too tedious.
    I weighing myself wayyyy too much, morning, midday, night....
    I put the scale away yesterday and in not going to weigh myself until the 1st.
    Yes, stop that, especially if you think logging food is too tedious.
    Just weigh yourself once per day, in the morning. You don't have to stop weighing yourself; comparable weigh-ins are valuable data points.
    Ive been floating around 460-465 for 2 weeks. I’m eat more and and see if that helps, thats the only thing i got left.
    You have been eating more (than you think), that's why your weightloss has slowed down. D
    I don’t understand how people get their stomachs removed or sleeve and they lost weight eating way lower calories, but if I constantly eat 1200-1500 i lose nothing or just 12 pounds for a month??!!
    Those people aren't able to eat more than that. You are, and you do.

Every body is capable of losing weight, it's just a question of CICO.
    But everybody isn't capable of losing weight, because it's a question of behavior, mindset and attitude.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    And this last 2 weekd ive been trying to eat more... less... anything to move my weight.
    If your goal is to lose weight and you're not losing weight, the solution is never to eat more. It's just you who wants to eat more. So ask yourself what you want more: Lose weight, or eat more?

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, including the strong likelihood that he's probably eating at least a few hundred calories a day more than he thinks. But if you haven't looked into his diary, a few weeks back he was stringing together a lot of days where he was logging very low calories, even days below 1000 kcal -- and he was losing nearly 4 lbs a week, so I'm not sure how much encouragement he should be given to eat less (since he's still losing 3 lbs a week even after increasing his calories to roughly 2100 most days with a few splurges in the upper 2000s and even the mid 3000s, which should still be below his TDEE -- yes, he weighs enough that he can probably safely lose faster, but I don't see any evidence he's doing this under a doctor's care).
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, including the strong likelihood that he's probably eating at least a few hundred calories a day more than he thinks. But if you haven't looked into his diary, a few weeks back he was stringing together a lot of days where he was logging very low calories, even days below 1000 kcal -- and he was losing nearly 4 lbs a week, so I'm not sure how much encouragement he should be given to eat less (since he's still losing 3 lbs a week even after increasing his calories to roughly 2100 most days with a few splurges in the upper 2000s and even the mid 3000s, which should still be below his TDEE -- yes, he weighs enough that he can probably safely lose faster, but I don't see any evidence he's doing this under a doctor's care).
    I'm sort of assuming that he understands that I'm talking about eating less than 4000 calories per day, but I agree, you can't assume anything.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

This is my issue, i know about weighing my food, it got tedious the last time i was using this site. It took longer to make the food then to eat it. I didn’t want to go down that riad again so i was eating no where my recommended calories are at.

I’m not gonna recommend against food scales, I know why they’re so popular here. That said, I don’t use them either because I usually find it too tedious. The only exceptions are when I do things like make bags of to-go snacks with nuts and other high energy items. What I do instead is make sure that if I eat a package of a certain food item over the course of several days or meals, I make sure that the sum of what I have logged equals the size of the package. Additionally, for things that take ”forever” to go through, like olive oil, I have measured once how much the amount I put on my large pan for frying weighs, and how much it’s for my small pan. Similarly, I know the volume of my favorite mug I drink most liquids from, I know the size of slices my cheese slicer gives out, etc. Sure, I will eventually have to move to using the food scale consistently, but so far there has been enough room for error with this method. With the amount that you have to lose, I’m guessing this could help you move forward as well.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @lynn_glenmont From April 27th to today it has only been 91 days so he did lose slightly faster for the 2 months prior to this one. Doesn't really matter though as your reply was on the money in every other way.

Good point. Shouldn't try to count when I'm tired and distracted. ("April, that's one month; May, that's a second month; June, that's a third month." :smile: )

Also, in that same post, I really should have said "inability to recognize success." (Or better yet, some construction in which the part about expectations and success were either both clauses or both noun phrases, not one of each. I just shouldn't write when I'm tired to distracted. But then I probably never would.)

I can sometimes hate coming back and reading something I have posted. I am bad about rewriting something while distracted and not deleting all of the previous version leaving words that don't belong or if I am on the phone for some reason I occasionally do my real pet peeve of making homonym spelling errors like bear for bare or since for sense which makes me look like an idiot. I have no idea why I do that when I am on the phone other than it must be a walk and chew gum thing.

• Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Didn’t know MFP didn’t like apple cider vinegar like this, i take it in morning with my vitamins because ive read that it helps mobilize belly fat and helps with blood fats and sugars. That’s why i take it to start my eating in the morning.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Didn’t know MFP didn’t like apple cider vinegar like this, i take it in morning with my vitamins because ive read that it helps mobilize belly fat and helps with blood fats and sugars. That’s why i take it to start my eating in the morning.
    Things either have an effect or no effect, and effects have an explicable cause, or at least one can find a logical explanation. So you can be certain that anything supposed to "help", does nothing of the sort, it only takes away valuable mental effort from the things that matter.
  • Junebug2022
    Options
    hipari wrote: »

I’m not gonna recommend against food scales, I know why they’re so popular here. That said, I don’t use them either because I usually find it too tedious. The only exceptions are when I do things like make bags of to-go snacks with nuts and other high energy items. What I do instead is make sure that if I eat a package of a certain food item over the course of several days or meals, I make sure that the sum of what I have logged equals the size of the package. Additionally, for things that take ”forever” to go through, like olive oil, I have measured once how much the amount I put on my large pan for frying weighs, and how much it’s for my small pan. Similarly, I know the volume of my favorite mug I drink most liquids from, I know the size of slices my cheese slicer gives out, etc. Sure, I will eventually have to move to using the food scale consistently, but so far there has been enough room for error with this method. With the amount that you have to lose, I’m guessing this could help you move forward as well.
    This is pretty much how i feel to the gentleman who asked me why I avoided scales this time. It became very tedious and I personally have a personality that is do something all the way or f*** it all together.

So last time i was basically at the point where if I couldn’t weigh everything and log it, I wouldn’t eat. I don’t want to do that again..... im going to have to flirt with it if im going to eat around my recommended calories.

But to not worry about weighing i used to eat a lot of whole packages. I still weigh liquids, but i imagine that a whole can of tuna or a egg is not far off from the packed weigh they cone listed with or those companies would be out of business. If the steak says its .87 pounds I believe it is close enough not to worry.

• kommodevaran
    Options
    I have a personality that is do something all the way or f*** it all together.
    So that's something to work on.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont From April 27th to today it has only been 91 days so he did lose slightly faster for the 2 months prior to this one. Doesn't really matter though as your reply was on the money in every other way.

Good point. Shouldn't try to count when I'm tired and distracted. ("April, that's one month; May, that's a second month; June, that's a third month." :smile: )

Also, in that same post, I really should have said "inability to recognize success." (Or better yet, some construction in which the part about expectations and success were either both clauses or both noun phrases, not one of each. I just shouldn't write when I'm tired to distracted. But then I probably never would.)

I can sometimes hate coming back and reading something I have posted. I am bad about rewriting something while distracted and not deleting all of the previous version leaving words that don't belong or if I am on the phone for some reason I occasionally do my real pet peeve of making homonym spelling errors like bear for bare or since for sense which makes me look like an idiot. I have no idea why I do that when I am on the phone other than it must be a walk and chew gum thing.

:smile:
  • Junebug2022
    Options

No doctor, you are right about that.

I know any day i “splurged” and ate things I didn’t cook I likely ate more then i logged. But days where i made the food, im pretty sure i was very close because I mostly ate items that where whole packages or mechanically cut. Like off can a hard boiled egg be? A can of tuna, 4 little slices of cheese that says it should be 1 oz? I buy a piece of fish and they weigh it in front of me. That used to be my day of food.

I also am looking back at my diary and I probably jumped the gun playing with food amounts because i didn’t lose what I thought i should. Very likely.