How Much Do YOU "Gain" the Morning After Carb- Heavy or Salty Meals

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I ate all of the salt and all of the carbs yesterday, and I'm up about 2.5 pounds today. Totally worth it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    I'm a 62-year-old 5'5" woman in maintenance in the lower 130s (lbs, not kgs ;) ). Up to two pounds jump is routine. Three is not rare. Five can happen, but I think it requires overeating (but it can be gone in about a week, with no extreme compensatory deficits involved). I've posted a couple of times with case stories about scale weirdness.

Recently my weight dropped 6.2 pounds overnight after a couple of days' climb: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10679961/this-never-happened-before-fun-with-weight-fluctuations

Longer ago, I posted about the results of a weekend of extreme overeating:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope

I think fluctuations are kind of fun and interesting.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    My highest carb days are also typically my long run days. The majority of my water weight is from the carbs, but some is also from the run (16-22 miles). My scale is usually up 5-9 pounds the following day. Occasionally, it’s over 10 and my scale doesn’t recognize me.

I was in AZ for 2 1/2 weeks earlier this year and was up 18lbs when I came back (plane flights also cause me to retain water, never mind all the garbage I ate).

I seem to be extra sensitive to water weight fluctuations but the water goes away and eventually my weight is right where I would expect it to be based on how many calories I consumed.
  • shiflettsgirl2013
    shiflettsgirl2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same exact thing happens to me. If I eat any carb (bread, pasta, rice, etc) the next day I’m up 1-3lbs. Yesterday I was at 164.8 and this evening I’m at 166.0. It will take a couple of days to lose it. Today was because I ate two small slices of pizza instead of my normal protein and veggie lunch.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 1 to 5lbs if I have a beer the evening before. Not so much with salt, as I have a fairly high salt diet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I was up 4.8 pounds this morning after a high-calorie, high-sodium day yesterday, while outdoors in 100+ heat all afternoon/evening. Not worried in the least - been there plenty of times and know it will work its way off in a couple/few days like it always does.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I rarely fluctuate but when I do I can't really pinpoint a reason. It always seems to take ages to come off when it's a spike upward so I'm always left unsure whether I've managed to put on fat or water weight. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as I end up in the right place.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Well, I gained 3.5 lbs today, after chips and cookies at a family reunion yesterday.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    5 lbs. And it takes a week or two to come off.

This is me too :D and it always seems to happen right after I hit a new low (I hit 213lbs on saturday, after eating maybe 100 calories over maintenance yesterday I woke up to 217lbs this morning)

It seems to last a bit too long to be water weight. I dont get it. It could be a 500 calorie restaurant meal that puts me up that high. We are not alone though.

I agree with whoever said they are heavier after lifting weights. I noticed that too but thought one couldnt really build muscle in a calorie deficit so assume it is just water also.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I think a gain from lifting or heavy excersize is also water weight, its the muscles inflamation required for repair. There could also be the aspect that if you are cutting a lot of calories and lefting or excersizing heavily then inflammation has less likely the energy to set in.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Unless I've just gone crazy all day long, no more than 1-2 pounds. I actually find the biggest cause of "artificial gain" for me is lack of sleep. I struggle with insomnia, and having to be at work at 7:15 AM doesn't help. On the nights I sleep very little or not at all, I can literally weigh up to 4-5 more pounds in the morning.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    ~3 pounds and it usually comes back off within 4 days (I weigh every other day).
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I put on 3-4 lbs every month because of hormones...am 52 and peri-menopausal so i`m blaming it on that!! After a few weeks (2-3) it goes away and I lose an extra 1lbs or so...so as you can see, my weight loss is very sloowwww....up 3-4 lbs, down 4-5 lbs
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Unless I've just gone crazy all day long, no more than 1-2 pounds. I actually find the biggest cause of "artificial gain" for me is lack of sleep. I struggle with insomnia, and having to be at work at 7:15 AM doesn't help. On the nights I sleep very little or not at all, I can literally weigh up to 4-5 more pounds in the morning.

Sleep is a BIG one for me too. If I sleep like crap or go to bed late I definitely have an unexpected high number on the scale the next morning.

Same with other posters, I usually see that extra drop beyond the loss of the water retention too. I think now that I am nearing my goal weight (145lbs is goal and I am 5'6") as history has proved for most of us, the water weight and beyond will probably come off but just a bit slower. Darn you last 10 pounds!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I put on 3-4 lbs every month because of hormones...am 52 and peri-menopausal so i`m blaming it on that!! After a few weeks (2-3) it goes away and I lose an extra 1lbs or so...so as you can see, my weight loss is very sloowwww....up 3-4 lbs, down 4-5 lbs

I weigh daily with an app and I find this too, I'll gain 2-3lbs overnight but then it, and a bit more, comes off again slowly over the next week or so with a bigger drop just before TOM. I've started to look at monthly figures now as weekly ones make no sense.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to eat high carb and high salt always, so I never see these fluctuations!
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My diet is predominantly carbs, so I don't really have a spike with that.

If I eat higher quantity, or much saltier without drinking enough water, the scale will usually show 1-2lbs the next day.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I often lose weight after a day like that, and look visibly slimmer. Guess it's something to do with dehydration...