How Much Do YOU "Gain" the Morning After Carb- Heavy or Salty Meals

jillstreett
jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I know that a carb heavy day or dinner and/ or a salt heavy day or dinner will spike weight the next morning due to water retention. I am just so curious how it affects others as far as the number on the scale the next day? I allow myself some cravings on the weekends and last night I had some boneless buffalo wings...yum!...knowing that it was going to put me right at maintenance calories for the day and knowing the carbs/ oil/ salt content, I am okay with the scale going up because I know it's not fat gain. What is your typical variance?

Saturday weigh in: 151.9
Sunday weigh in: 152.7 (normal variance for me if I don't do a hard hour cardio workout)
Monday weigh in (7am): 154.4 (boneless wings on Sunday at 5pm, then fasted until weigh in)

Obviously it's not fat from one PLANNED cheat meal. I know. But I want to make sure I'm not the only one that experiences this seemingly large difference due to one meal?

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Carb or not, I have days where I can gain 5 lbs overnight, but I can easily lose that amount too overnight. It's usually after a big social event like Xmas or thanksgiving.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I normally eat quite low carb, so a higher carb day will often result in about a pound or two gained in water. Carbs seem to be slow in my digestion too so I tend to gain for another day or two due to BM issues. :grimace:;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Less than 2lbs seems normal to me
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    5 lbs. And it takes a week or two to come off.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I went to a Chinese restaurant on Saturday and a festival on Sunday. I was within my weekly calorie budget but ate a lot of salty and carb-heavy food. This morning I'm up three pounds from my weight on Friday, and I expect it'll be gone by the end of the week if not before.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    My weight fluctuates up and down 3 or 4 lbs on a fairly regular basis. I've never seen the point in trying to figure out what the specific reasons are. I eat a moderately high carb diet, so I assume salt, alcohol, and hormones are the usual suspects. Often all together :lol:
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2018
    Not just carbs, my strength training also makes the scale shift up, even if I don't eat extra carbs.

Normally I gain 2-3 lbs the day after lifting. If I also have carbs that will add another 2-3 lbs easy.

If that also happens to fall near a normal monthly water retention time period, that can add another 2-3 lbs.

The highest swing I've ever had in one day is 9 lbs...it came off after about 3 days.

Yes! Me too. The day after lifting I usually see an increase of 2 pounds. That actually takes no less than 3-4 days to come off. I know the benefit of strength training so I don't freak out, but I sure see that gain!

9 pounds would have had me panicking, but we all know the body is sure a strange thing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Your weight is going to fluctuate naturally regardless.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    water retention can cause my weight to go up 2-3 lbs usually.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Usually 1-2lbs or less. I track my weight trend with an app and it sorts through all the noise for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I can count on Chinese food spiking the scale about 3 pounds for a little less than a week. Interestingly, high sodium Thai food does not do this to me, so it must be something about the fried Chinese food.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    carbs don't affect me.
    water/sodium i can gain or lose 5lbs
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    2-3 lbs with salty food.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »

This is me too :D and it always seems to happen right after I hit a new low (I hit 213lbs on saturday, after eating maybe 100 calories over maintenance yesterday I woke up to 217lbs this morning)
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Not usually more than 2 pounds.
  • ChubbyRose84
    ChubbyRose84 Posts: 48 Member
    For one meal, it could be anywhere between .6 - 2 pounds.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    Salty meals, a hot race/track weekend (where I have to drink a lot of hydration water or risk heat related problems), or just random days and I can see upwards of 3+ pounds of difference. Sometimes it can take a few days to come back off, but I've seen similar drops sometimes, too.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »

This is me too :D and it always seems to happen right after I hit a new low (I hit 213lbs on saturday, after eating maybe 100 calories over maintenance yesterday I woke up to 217lbs this morning)

Saaaaaaammmmme
    2kg + and the morning after a new low... bounce up 2kg... eventually get down lower than that low... bounce up again... and so on and so forth
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I went from 142 yesterday to 145 today after a carb heavy day (beer, sandwich, chips). It will take it 2 - 3 days to drop back. Sushi always kicks the scale up about 3lbs for me, too. I haven't seen anything more than 3 pounds, though.