A Journey From the Couch

C_Stretton
C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
After seeing a photo of myself on a paddle board, I realized that my bikini body somehow morphed into my body in a bikini. It's not a terrible thing, but I always prided myself on my two-pack abs and I'd like to see them again.

As someone who lurked in the deep dark corners of MFP, I've read countless testimonies from non-runner who, over the course of 9 weeks, learned to love running. So, why not me? Saturday I bought new runners, downloaded the app, and sat on the couch. I figured I owned it to myself so that I could truly track my journey off the couch. I spent Sunday morning at the Farmer's Market before heading to my step-son's birthday dinner.

That brings me to today - Week 1, Day 1 of C25K. According to the app, I ran 2.71 miles.

Four things I've learned so far:
1. I'm not a runner
2. My neighborhood is really hilly - I need a different route
3. I sweat a lot
4. My workout pants are terrible for running. With each clomp, they slid slightly lower. I took the walking minutes to pull them back up. But, they have a pocket, which feels important
5. Stretching is more important that I realized

I'd love to say that I can't wait to see what Week 2, Day 2 brings on Wednesday, but, well, that would be a lie. With that in mind, I figured I'd track my journey to keep myself accountable, and record the things that pop into my head as I plod along

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I’m NOT a runner but it sounds like to me you are getting there! Congratulations on starting this journey and inspiring me to keep on trying to be as active as I can.
  • C_Stretton
    If you're moving at a gait where both feet are off the floor, you're a runner.
    I think it means that I was running. To be a runner, to me anyway, I have to enjoy it, and I'm not there! My goal is to not only do it, but like it, or at the very least not dread it.
    swim777 wrote: »
    I’m NOT a runner but it sounds like to me you are getting there! Congratulations on starting this journey and inspiring me to keep on trying to be as active as I can.
    Thanks! This is my first real go at being accountable and consistently active since having foot surgery November last year. I feel ready
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    If you're running, you're a runner. Keep at it, it gets easier, I promise. I never thought I'd enjoy running but I do. I'm a beginner as well. I'm not doing intervals, but I'm up to running (trotting) 16.5 minutes now. I also still have bad days, and the important thing is to not let the bad days derail you. If you ever think of quitting, think about your shoes and how much money you will have wasted on them :p

• C_Stretton
    hesn92 wrote: »
    If you ever think of quitting, think about your shoes and how much money you will have wasted on them :p
    Brilliant! I needed to laugh as my legs start to scream at me. Seems they're not a fan of running either yet
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    C_Stretton wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    If you ever think of quitting, think about your shoes and how much money you will have wasted on them :p
    Brilliant! I needed to laugh as my legs start to scream at me. Seems they're not a fan of running either yet

Don't worry, your legs will be too busy plotting ways to make your death look like an accident to complain soon ;-)
    But then one day you'll look at them and think "holy cr@p, look at those muscles, I have runner's legs!" and it'll suddenly all be worth it :-D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you're moving at a gait where both feet are off the floor, you're a runner.
    I think it means that I was running. To be a runner, to me anyway, I have to enjoy it, and I'm not there! My goal is to not only do it, but like it, or at the very least not dread it.
    swim777 wrote: »
    Thanks! This is my first real go at being accountable and consistently active since having foot surgery November last year. I feel ready

It took me almost 2 years to fall in love with running - once I had trained for a half marathon which meant that 5k seemed comparatively easy!
  • C_Stretton
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I applaud your efforts. No one is a runner at the beginning of C25k. It is normal to take some trial and error to work out your clothing etc. I do encourage you to find a flatter route to start on if possible.

Now my question/concern. Are you actually following the app? If so, I’m confused how you covered 2.71 miles in 30 minutes. That’s a decent pace for running and day 1 is mostly walking. Either you’re going longer than the app prescribed or you’re not doing the walk intervals. Programs are set up because they work for most people and allow you to achieve goals while minimizing injury risk. Making up your own program or majorly changing the one given increases the risk of injury or setbacks. Something to consider.

Also be aware that running will not give you your abs back. That happens in the kitchen. Lots of threads on here about how to lose weight and/ or body fat.

Good luck to you.

I think I was looking at the GPS instead of the actual run time in the app. I most certainly followed the app and walked most of the distance, but I had to walk a good stretch before and after to get to the park Monday and trail today.
    I'm working in the kitchen too, which isn't a big issues for me right now - I lost my sense of taste (medical condition; I've already consulted with my doctor, had an MRI and all that good stuff) and eating is no longer enjoyable, so I only do it when I'm hungry now. I do fear what will happen when I get taste back though. I'm trying to convince myself that I won't go overboard on all the things I miss.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I applaud your efforts. No one is a runner at the beginning of C25k. It is normal to take some trial and error to work out your clothing etc. I do encourage you to find a flatter route to start on if possible.

Now my question/concern. Are you actually following the app? If so, I’m confused how you covered 2.71 miles in 30 minutes. That’s a decent pace for running and day 1 is mostly walking. Either you’re going longer than the app prescribed or you’re not doing the walk intervals. Programs are set up because they work for most people and allow you to achieve goals while minimizing injury risk. Making up your own program or majorly changing the one given increases the risk of injury or setbacks. Something to consider.

Also be aware that running will not give you your abs back. That happens in the kitchen. Lots of threads on here about how to lose weight and/ or body fat.

Good luck to you.

I was wondering the same thing actually. I'm also new to running and not following the usual app/plan offerings (currently I'm using Garmin's new 5k coach on my FR 935), but having looked at them it doesn't sound like the OP is following the plan given how many miles were covered on the first day.

All that is to say, @C_Stretton - if you aren't following the app's guidance, slow down and follow it. I know that it can be really tempting to do more because you feel like you can, but slow and steady wins the race as it were. Or rather, slow and steady progress means more progress and a smaller chance of injuries. Good luck though! Oh and yes, you are a runner - you don't have to enjoy X activity to be a X'er/ist (runner, cyclist, swimmer, etc). I don't always enjoy or look forward to my bike workouts but I would definitely call myself a cyclist.
  • C_Stretton
    aokoye wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing actually. I'm also new to running and not following the usual app/plan offerings (currently I'm using Garmin's new 5k coach on my FR 935), but having looked at them it doesn't sound like the OP is following the plan given how many miles were covered on the first day.

All that is to say, @C_Stretton - if you aren't following the app's guidance, slow down and follow it. I know that it can be really tempting to do more because you feel like you can, but slow and steady wins the race as it were. Or rather, slow and steady progress means more progress and a smaller chance of injuries. Good luck though! Oh and yes, you are a runner - you don't have to enjoy X activity to be a X'er/ist (runner, cyclist, swimmer, etc). I don't always enjoy or look forward to my bike workouts but I would definitely call myself a cyclist.

During the five minute warm up, I started the GPS, but paused the timer until I got to the park. Same with the cool down period. I assure you that they were slow walks, more like strolls, but that's where the extra distance came from. Not because I wasn't paying attention to Runicorn or the zombie
  • aokoye

During the five minute warm up, I started the GPS, but paused the timer until I got to the park. Same with the cool down period. I assure you that they were slow walks, more like strolls, but that's where the extra distance came from. Not because I wasn't paying attention to Runicorn or the zombie

Oh ok that makes more sense. I'm glad you're not doing too much too soon :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

That's fine to do extra walking as long as it's not totally new to you. We usually encourage people to be able to walk briskly for 45 min before starting c25k.
  • C_Stretton

That's fine to do extra walking as long as it's not totally new to you. We usually encourage people to be able to walk briskly for 45 min before starting c25k.

I walk daily and hike, so that’s nothing new to me. I also lift weights and paddle board. Running on the other hand... well, that’s why I’m easing into it
  • C_Stretton
    Week 1, Day 3 - made through the first week! That's pretty exciting.

Today's notes:
    It's what my husband would call perfect soccer weather - cloud covered, cooler, on the verge of rain. And, while it was nice not to have the sun, it felt a little muggy to me, especially after the first couple of runs.

I took the city trail again, this time turning left towards the mountains instead of right towards the city. There were less people that way, but not the comfortable heading to work type of people. No, I woke up more than one person whilst plodding by. I'll stick with more people vs single female running around sleeping men.

All sidewalks are not created equal. A stubbed toe today could easily be a face plant next time. I need to pay more attention to the surface.

The cramp in my right side came back; I focused on breathing through it, and that seemed to help. I'll have to look into this a bit more.

And, finally, it it possible that running makes my nose run too? Each day, as soon as I started minute 1 of running, my nose started dripping as well. Day 2 I remembered to bring a tissue, today I did not and it was bad.
  • aokoye
    And, finally, it it possible that running makes my nose run too? Each day, as soon as I started minute 1 of running, my nose started dripping as well. Day 2 I remembered to bring a tissue, today I did not and it was bad.
    Yes. This doesn't happen to me when I'm running, at least not so far, but it's a regular occurrence when I'm riding my bike. It's called exercise-induced rhinitis and here's an article specific to running. From what I can tell, at least in the cycling world, it's not uncommon.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    Yes. This doesn't happen to me when I'm running, at least not so far, but it's a regular occurrence when I'm riding my bike. It's called exercise-induced rhinitis and here's an article specific to running. From what I can tell, at least in the cycling world, it's not uncommon.

Yes, have experienced this. I also find it makes me need to clear my throat and/or couch every now and again, especially if I'm running near roads or on a dusty track. Problem with that is when you've hit 40 and had a baby and ALWAYS forget your kegels it can lead to some embarrasing runs telling yourself off and vowing to remember to buy some pantyliners or something :/
  • C_Stretton

Yes, have experienced this. I also find it makes me need to clear my throat and/or couch every now and again, especially if I'm running near roads or on a dusty track. Problem with that is when you've hit 40 and had a baby and ALWAYS forget your kegels it can lead to some embarrasing runs telling yourself off and vowing to remember to buy some pantyliners or something :/
    aokoye - thanks for the article! I'm glad that there's a cause for it other than the pounding of my feet on the sidewalk somehow jarring my nose.

eleanorhawkins - I'm well into my 40s, and, while I didn't give birth to my son, I do have MS, which for me came with a similar bladder/dribble issue. Liners are a saving grace!