A Journey From the Couch

Options

Replies

• C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Week 4, Day 1 - Sunday

I woke up early to get this in before it got too hot outside, but, as it turned out, it was already hot at 8:30. But, I headed out anyway. The first half was a breeze; the second half, not so much. I had to pause to stretch out my half during the two minute run, and then when my zombie trainer told me to start jogging for the last 5 minute run, well, I didn't. I took about another minute of walking before running and then only managed to eke out 3 minutes. vanmep-yes, you're right. Those five minutes are killer!

I also noticed later in the day that my surgery foot was a bit sore. That's the first time I've noticed it. I'm guessing that plodding along for a longer time than usual put extra stress on that joint (I do find the same thing when I walk up steep hills). either way, Tuesday is my next scheduled run. It should be cooler out as we have a front coming in late tonight. I look forward to that.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great stories of experience, good stuff to know!!!
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    Week 4, Day 2 was a complete disaster! The truth is that I probably shouldn't have gone out today. I'm not feeling my best physically or emotionally, and, looking at my food diary from yesterday, I ate about 500 calories less than usual.
    I mentioned that Sunday got really hot quickly. Yesterday was the same, and heat really causes my everyday MS symptoms to flare up. I spend yesterday in quite a bit of pain, but, with the cool down today, I thought I'd be better today. I was wrong. My right side is numb/tingly, my right hip is really rigid, and I have a slight foot drop. What this means is that, when walking and running, I really have to pay attention to picking up my foot so that I don't trip over myself. I did stumble a few times whilst running.
    All of that I can usually work around. But, just past the half way mark, I felt like I ran into a wall. Fatigue hit and I truly wanted to just lay down in the middle of the park and call it. Instead I slowly walked myself back to my car and got home. I'm still incredibly fatigued - the best way I can describe it is that I feel like I'm wearing a weighted suit and am walking through water.
    New plan for the day: forget about reinforcing the back fence, take it easy, nap, use cooling towels to help keep my body temperature down, and hope it doesn't get worse. Worse usually results in that same feeling of wearing a weighted suit, plus sandpaper lining. We've got cool weather today; we're back into the 90s for the next two days, then the 80s return and look like they'll stick around for a while.
    I like to think that I'm getting better at listening to the cues that my body sends me, but it's still clearly a work in progress.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Your humor and outlook are fantastic. I am also doing C25K, alternating between Zenlabs C25K and Zombies, Run! Two very different approaches to 5K training, but I love them both. I live in a hot, humid area and for the last few weeks have been running on the treadmill. Last night, I decided to take it outside. We had a slight cool front and it felt so good to be out. Much easier on the treadmill though. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    I haven't tried Zombies Run, but may have to check that out

Week 4, Day 2 - one week later
    The week off gave me time to recover; I was going on short, slow walks during that time to keep myself moving. I also considered bumping down to week 3 and easing my way back into week 4, but then my shirt reminded me that I've got this and so I went for it.
    Was the shirt right? Not quite, but it was a surprisingly good motivator. I plodded along just fine until that last five minutes, which kicked my *kitten*. Just like day 1 did over a week ago. This time around, I think I managed about 2 minutes of that final run before the dreaded side stitch reared it's painful head. I tried breathing through it, clutching it with all my might, and powering through, but it in the end, it got the best of me. Seems I forgot to sing and breathe for that last bit. Speaking of singing and running, I did have a number of people smile and laugh at me while I ran by. Seems I picked a good playlist (until the end). One small child growled at me. I'm not sure he liked my singing.
    All in all, not bad but I'll undoubtedly need to repeat week 4; at least I didn't cave to my self-doubt and start in week 3 again.
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    Week 4, Day 3
    I still haven't managed to successfully complete a week 4 day. I am getting closer though, so that counts for something. I'll just try again next week.

Here are a few things that I can say for certain:
    Four (five if you count my recovery week) weeks later, I'm no closer to enjoying running. I still don't like it. But, I do like that this is getting me out of my walking rut, introducing the dreaded cardio into my life, and I am determined to finish out this program, no matter how long it actually takes. I will freaking run a 5k.
    In the five weeks since I started, I lost five pounds. Is that all a result of C25K? No, I also significantly cut back on eating out in favor of cooking, which has also greatly reduced my drinking. C25K, however, has upped my cardio, which does help. The "final 10 pounds" that turned into 20 pounds is now back down to 15. So...progress?
    People are funny. I'm sure this needs an explanation, but I'm not sure where to start, so I'm just going to leave it at that. I will say is to anyone who is intimidated by running in public, and yes, I know you're out there because I see questions and posts about it frequently enough, don't be. I've seen people running barefoot, people waving their arms in the air like they just don't care (I'm sure there's a reason for this, but I don't know what it is), I sing, kids growl, and I can honestly say that more people - both running and walking on the trail - have smiled as we've passed than I can count.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just modifying it? Change the 5 minute intervals to 4 minutes maybe? Call it week 3.5 lol. You'd have to time the intervals yourself I suppose. I feel like it's a big jump from week 3 to 4.
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    I think, without meaning to, I did adjust those intervals, creating that week 3.5. Week 3 to 4 is a big jump. I'm good with failing miserably at it the first time around and trying again for a second week; it's all part of the process for me. Eventually I'll get there and then will move onto week 5. I was pretty darned close to it today. B)
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I admire your determination but I do wonder why it is so necessary to do something that you clearly don’t enjoy. I decided at the beginning of my fitness journey that doing things I enjoy is the only way to really be sustainable.

I started C25K because I always secretly wanted to run and I have found that I am loving it and wanting to do it even on my days off. I guess there can be a certain joy in conquering a difficult challenge but in my opinion that needs to be balanced with the idea that life is too short to spend a lot of time doing something you hate as well as the thought that there are plenty of activities to choose from that might be more up your alley - biking? Kayaking? Tennis? Climbing?

Now I hope I am not a voice of discouragement, and if you are sure you want to conquer this thing I would be the first one to cheer you on for how far you have already come and what you have accomplished! You’re great and your determination is inspirational.
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    I get how you could see that. Because no, I don’t enjoy running. That said, the things I like about it outweigh that. I like the challenge of it, both physically and mentally for me. It puts me outside of my comfort zone. And, it encourages me to push passed the limitations that my body tells me I have. It’s also gotten me out of my rut, which was one of my primary reasons for starting. We all need to switch things up from time to time - or at least I do...

I do other forms of exercise that I do like: paddle boarding and weight lifting to name two, but I felt stalled. I fully plan to continue to push forward with this. And, who knows, by the end I might actually like it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Ironically enough, I hated running. I've never been a cardio fan. Always been a weights girl.
    After starting Zombies, Run things changed. I remember writing a post after a run saying that while I may not be a runner, I was definitely a Runner 5. Since then, I've actually learned to love running. I finished the ZR5K training, signed up for and ran several races. And I love it. I have 3 races this month. And I'm actually planning next year's races already lol.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    C_Stretton wrote: »
    I get how you could see that. Because no, I don’t enjoy running. That said, the things I like about it outweigh that. I like the challenge of it, both physically and mentally for me. It puts me outside of my comfort zone. And, it encourages me to push passed the limitations that my body tells me I have. It’s also gotten me out of my rut, which was one of my primary reasons for starting. We all need to switch things up from time to time - or at least I do...

I do other forms of exercise that I do like: paddle boarding and weight lifting to name two, but I felt stalled. I fully plan to continue to push forward with this. And, who knows, by the end I might actually like it.

For what it's worth that's kind of how I feel about running. I don't really enjoy it like I do cycling but I feel a sense of accomplishment, it's a thing I want to be able to do despite my not really loving it (from the age of 15 I was basically told I would never be able to run any meaningful distance, so like - longer than a block to catch the bus), and it's useful cross training.

The only physical activity I really don't any aspect of is almost all strength training I've done (save for TRX). Despite that, I do that for rehab and because I know it will make me a stronger athlete. I want to like it, I just really don't.
  • vanmep
    Options
    You go girl!!! I look forward to following along as you knock that 5k on its *kitten*! 😁
  • hesn92
    Options
    I'm at the same place you are. I was just going out running for 15 minutes straight with hopes of adding on a minute or so every week but then I got sick twice in Aug. and didn't run much at all. I decided to do C25k instead, starting at week 4. I just did week 4 day 2 yesterday
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    Week 4 Repeat - I think I have a week 4 mental block. I went out Sunday and again today with the same results as last week. The first half is easy. I mean, really easy. But, for whatever reason, the second half just isn't happening for me. As soon as that darn trainer tells me I'm half way there, everything changes. What I did notice today was that if I picked a landmark and said, ok: run to there and then you can stop, I could make it without much of a problem. So... I'm thinking... maybe it's the timing aspect instead of the distance? I really don't know. Either way, I may tackle this a different way. The distance around the pond by my house took me five minutes to get around, which is about a half mile. I'm going to try using that as a gauge. Run around it, walk around it, then run around it. Once I can do that without any problems, bump it up and run around it a time and a half, walk the other half, then run around it. And so on. Now, this is not the flat area that I've been going to for C25K; there are hills here, so that makes it a little more difficult. I figure when I can get around that three times without stopping, then maybe I'll head back to the bigger lake with the flatter trail and try again. Conveniently enough, that is a 5K.

I'm not giving up on that 5K. I will get there. I'm just changing my method of getting to it. I'll still run three days a week, and I'll still track my progress here - it helps me to see where I was last week vs this week, even if it is exactly the same spot. I'll still talk about my snot (it was a one-tissue day today but didn't need the inhaler) and all the other little details and thoughts I have as I go through this process (like the fact that I'm extra stinky/sweaty today and that we're in another heat wave here).
  • vanmep
    Options
    It makes so much sense to pick whatever strategy works for you. There are many roads to get to where you’re going!

Someone told me this week that if you are not experiencing physical symptoms then it is a mental block. I thought that was good info to work with, although I’m not really sure about how to work through a mental block.
  • C_Stretton
    Options
    I have not idea how to work through a mental block either, so I'm trying this...

Today's plan was walk to the pond (.25 miles), run around the pond (.5 miles), walk around it, run around it, walk home. The reality was I walked to the pond, ran around it, started to walk around it, felt an unwelcome gurgle in my belly, turned around and scurried home hoping not to, well, poo. Whoops. Not that anyone needs to know this, but I went before I left the house. I make sure to do that every time because I've heard horror stories. I have a friend that didn't make it home and hid behind some bushes to take care of business. I'm just not sure I can do that. Plus, the pond/park that I was at has some questionable residents - coyotes, turtles, geese, all lurking. None of which I really want to be around with my pants down... Plus, as a previous dog owner, I realized I didn't have any poop bags with me, and I can't just leave that laying around. Someone could step in in, I'm an omnivore, so I have a higher protein content in my poo which could deposit extra nitrates and burn or damage the foliage, it could leave bacteria on the ground causing other animals to get sick, not to mention the implications it has on our drinking water. I just can't be responsible for any of that.

The kicker is that I felt really good running without the timer; I don't want to commit to saying that I liked it, but I definitely didn't dread it. It was freeing not to anticipate the voice in my headphones telling me what to do and when to do it. I wasn't looking over my shoulder to see if that zombie was catching up to me. I wasn't worried about a drill sergeant yelling or cheerleader chirping in my ear. It was just me an my music. That's something I think I could used to.
  • hesn92
    Options
    :D