Help! My fridge is overrun with zucchini!

Options
missmacsays
missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
I acquired a giant zucchini from someone I work with and I'm trying to find some new and interesting ways to incorporate it in my cooking. I've found some things on Pinterest, most recently did a zucchini/quinoa "bake" type of thing in my crockpot, which is great. But a gal can only eat the same dish a few times before it's time to mix it up. I've also seen a baked zucchini fries I may try, but literally even with a crockpot worthy of 5 servings and the zucchini fries, I have a LOT left over.

What ideas have you seen or tried for zucchini?!

Replies

• lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    zucchini bread is great you can get recipies on allrecipie.com
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you can't fashion zucchini boats, slice them into 1/2" thick rounds. Hollow out the seeded part, put them it on parchment paper and put mozzarella cheese inside, spoon some pizza sauce in, sprinkle a little more cheese and some oregano on the top and pop them in the oven until melty at 350 for pizzucchini.
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    Zucchini "spaghetti" is good!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I have made this recipe before with both squash and zucchini
    is really good
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/sunny-summer-squash-soup.html
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    raw zucchini is good in salads, and also, sliced, it makes a great "chip" for dipping in salsa or hummus!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    zucchini chips bake up a hole lot and put them into little baggys to munch on at work

Savory muffins/scones with cheese etc

mini quiches with grateds zucchini and egg

I'm sure your could cut them all up and freeze them for later use in stir frys etc
  • springfaith
    springfaith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have a pdf of an old woman's day page. it lists about 20 things to do with zucchini. if you're interested, i can email it to you!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have this recipe you might want to try

Mini Zucchini cheese bites
    Ingredients
    ◾2 cups grated zucchini ( about 1 medium)
    ◾1 egg
    ◾1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
    ◾optional: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, salt & pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl mix the zucchini, egg, cheese and cilantro. You do not have to add any salt or pepper since the Parmesan is salty enough . Evenly divide the mixture into the mini muffin pan filling to the top, packed down in each cup. Bake for 15- 18 minutes until golden brown around the edges. 

Nutrition Info

Servings: 12* Calories for one: 27* Fat: 2g* Fiber: 0g* Carbs: 1g* Protein: 2g

The zucchini is grated so only some of the green skin is noticeable. You can opt to leave out the cilantro .These are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

Super quick and easy to make. Using a food processor to grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the excess water in a paper towel or clean cloth. Add the rest of the ingredients and pack them into a little mini quiche tin. You can certainly double the recipe if you have more or even make them larger then mini.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    if you're into canning and it's huge, you can make a small batch of zucchini relish with it. I made some this year and it's amazing. i also just chop it into tiny pieces and I add some butter, onions and sautee until it's really soft and serve it as a side.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Freeze it! :)
  • Jayne2629
    Options
    I just posted this recipe for Lemon-Zucchini bars, if you're interested!! :smile:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068514-lemon-zucchini-bars
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Ahhh so many great ideas! I'm excited to try some of these out :) I wasn't sure if zucchini frozen would be good or not. But I may have to freeze some of it. It's just too much for one person.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    zucchini chips bake up a hole lot and put them into little baggys to munch on at work

Savory muffins/scones with cheese etc

mini quiches with grateds zucchini and egg

I'm sure your could cut them all up and freeze them for later use in stir frys etc

As a chip sounds fantastic! Is this done the same way as potato chips?
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I just posted this recipe for Lemon-Zucchini bars, if you're interested!! :smile:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068514-lemon-zucchini-bars

Yum. Would definitely like to try a dessert version too!
  • Caitlinhillson
    Options
    How do you do those zucchini chips???
    Mum made a zucchini chocolate cake, not healthy in the slightest but it used a lot of zucchini.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    if you're into canning and it's huge, you can make a small batch of zucchini relish with it. I made some this year and it's amazing. i also just chop it into tiny pieces and I add some butter, onions and sautee until it's really soft and serve it as a side.

I've never done canning before, but could definitely look into that!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I have this recipe you might want to try

Mini Zucchini cheese bites
    Ingredients
    ◾2 cups grated zucchini ( about 1 medium)
    ◾1 egg
    ◾1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
    ◾optional: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, salt & pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl mix the zucchini, egg, cheese and cilantro. You do not have to add any salt or pepper since the Parmesan is salty enough . Evenly divide the mixture into the mini muffin pan filling to the top, packed down in each cup. Bake for 15- 18 minutes until golden brown around the edges. 

Nutrition Info

Servings: 12* Calories for one: 27* Fat: 2g* Fiber: 0g* Carbs: 1g* Protein: 2g

The zucchini is grated so only some of the green skin is noticeable. You can opt to leave out the cilantro .These are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

Super quick and easy to make. Using a food processor to grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the excess water in a paper towel or clean cloth. Add the rest of the ingredients and pack them into a little mini quiche tin. You can certainly double the recipe if you have more or even make them larger then mini.

OMG sounds fantastic. And healthy yay!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    i have a pdf of an old woman's day page. it lists about 20 things to do with zucchini. if you're interested, i can email it to you!

Sure forward it over to me :]
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I have made this recipe before with both squash and zucchini
    is really good
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/sunny-summer-squash-soup.html

Awesome, thanks!!
  • Emmy501
    Emmy501 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ahhh so many great ideas! I'm excited to try some of these out :) I wasn't sure if zucchini frozen would be good or not. But I may have to freeze some of it. It's just too much for one person.

Shred it and freeze it in one cup portions so you have premeasured for zucchini bread. :smile: