To quit keto or not quit keto?

Options
124»

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Keep your keto, reduce your calories. No brainer. Maintenance is around 14 cals/lb for mildly active women. Choose your deficit 10%, 20%...your call.

I have never yet seen one of these quick formulas that is remotely accurate. That’s about 600 calories below my actual maintenance. Why wouldn’t OP just use the recommendations from MFP and you know, actually track her calories to try to stay within a deficit to lose the weight she’s recently gained... the issue isn’t that she needs a quick formula, it’s that she was under the misguided impression that calories don’t matter if you’re eating keto. Simply paying attention to CICO should help her get the situation back in control.

I mentioned earlier that I did try counting on keto here and there but it's hard to stick to. I feel constantly hungry and thinking about food all the time (something I never did on my former eating, when unfortunately I was having lots of seizures). Maybe my stomach is super stretched out? Idk :(
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Decapins wrote: »
    are you counting calories on keto? I don't see why you can't lose weight while doing keto

I was told calories dont matter on keto. Granted, I do still occasionally count despite what people swear by "no need to count." But calorie deficit seems a lot harder on keto as opposed to my former, higher volume lower calorie diet. I'm a volume eater.

I just don't think you get to be a volume eater on a keto diet.

Nope, you don't. It's the opposite. The amount of "noatmeal" I can eat for the calories in real oatmeal fits into a shot glass. But that's sort of the point. People who do well on keto are people who needed to learn how to put the fork down. I say this from personal experience. I needed to learn what it meant to stop eating when satisfied.

You're satisfied by fat, but the OP isn't. So small portions of high fat foods won't satisfy her.

Different people have different satiety triggers.

Also, to all the people suggesting that she just low carb, IIRC, the keto protocol for controlling epileptic seizures is to have very high fat and very low carb. It's that particular macro mix, so perhaps the level of ketosis, that controls the seizures.

OP, I highly suggest you talk to your neurologist.

Thanks, will do. I see her in a month (her next availability). Will try my best to hang in there in the meantime.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Keep your keto, reduce your calories. No brainer. Maintenance is around 14 cals/lb for mildly active women. Choose your deficit 10%, 20%...your call.

I have never yet seen one of these quick formulas that is remotely accurate. That’s about 600 calories below my actual maintenance. Why wouldn’t OP just use the recommendations from MFP and you know, actually track her calories to try to stay within a deficit to lose the weight she’s recently gained... the issue isn’t that she needs a quick formula, it’s that she was under the misguided impression that calories don’t matter if you’re eating keto. Simply paying attention to CICO should help her get the situation back in control.

I mentioned earlier that I did try counting on keto here and there but it's hard to stick to. I feel constantly hungry and thinking about food all the time (something I never did on my former eating, when unfortunately I was having lots of seizures). Maybe my stomach is super stretched out? Idk :(

It's not that, it's probably that you found fiber combined with protein filling.

A macro mix of protein, fat and fiber would likely be filling for you too, but it would be difficult for you to achieve that and have enough fat to control your seizures, I think.