Playing hooky from work

Options

Replies

• hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I usually text my boss to say I won’t be in and won’t give an excuse. It’s my bank of time, so I use it as needed.

If I had to come up with something, I’d probably use migraines or gastrointestinal issues to be excused.
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Last time I just didn't make up anything. I just said that I wasn't coming in and no one even questioned it.
    If they did I'd just say I'm *kitten* your mom and hang up. (This is a lie)
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    You got elbowed in the ribs last night at roller derby by Diana the Destroyer and you're coughing up purple loogies this morning. Going to get some x-rays as a precaution.
  • kam26001
    Options
    Your Macy's rewards points expire today and if you don't get all the shopping done Christmas will be cancelled this year.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Do adults actually do this? I feel bad enough to call off when I'm actually sick.
  • kam26001
    Options
    Some little kid called you a "poop nugget" on your morning jog. You're taking a mental health day.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    Do adults actually do this? I feel bad enough to call off when I'm actually sick.

thats me to. I screw my coworkers over even if i request a day off in advanced for say the dentist. lol
  • PaperDoll_
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

thats me to. I screw my coworkers over even if i request a day off in advanced for say the dentist. lol

Any time I call off, I get phone calls randomly throughout the day with questions. I'd have to fake sick all day long which would take all the fun out of playing hooky.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

Yep.
    My coworkers suck so no I don't feel (that) guilty.
  • PaperDoll_
    Options

Yep.
    My coworkers suck so no I don't feel (that) guilty.

I'm just jealous because I couldn't get away with it. :)
  • kam26001
    Options
    John Mayer is throwing a surprise concert at your local bookstore at 10am. Your late Aunt Edna never got the chance to see him live before dysentery took her away. Today you do right by Edna.
  • kam26001
    Options
    You spotted a new wrinkle on your forehead and you're having a nervous breakdown. Sound hysterical on the phone.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    I've heard every excuse in the book...
  • kam26001
    Options
    Your toaster was talking to you this morning, but you don't own a toaster. Better get checked out just to be safe.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I would never tell an untruth.

never.
    I see what you did there
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Why do you need to give a reason? It's illegal (in the US) to require details thanks to HIPPA. A simple 'I'm sick and not coming in today' is all that's needed. Any question the response should be 'it's personal'.

Yes, but it is also legal for your employer to require you to bring in documentation if you claim to be sick. So, that’s a thin line to skate on. Unless you planned on spending your fake sick day at the doctor anyway. I have never played hooky and I probably never will. However, we we do call off at my work, documentation is required. A return to work form has to be filled out by the doctor, and we do call to verify with the office listed on the note. This generally weeds out those who like to call off often. Like your employer and coworkers or not, it’s never fair to them when someone calls off, and we all choose to work there.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Well calling on sick would mean telling myself I'm not going to work today.....it's happened ;)