Playing hooky from work

Options

Replies

• mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Well calling on sick would mean telling myself I'm not going to work today.....it's happened ;)

Sshhh, i wont tell him if you dont. Its between me and you
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Why do you need to give a reason? It's illegal (in the US) to require details thanks to HIPPA. A simple 'I'm sick and not coming in today' is all that's needed. Any question the response should be 'it's personal'.

Yes, but it is also legal for your employer to require you to bring in documentation if you claim to be sick. So, that’s a thin line to skate on. Unless you planned on spending your fake sick day at the doctor anyway. I have never played hooky and I probably never will. However, we we do call off at my work, documentation is required. A return to work form has to be filled out by the doctor, and we do call to verify with the office listed on the note. This generally weeds out those who like to call off often. Like your employer and coworkers or not, it’s never fair to them when someone calls off, and we all choose to work there.

never heard of that before for a single day. maybe if you're out for a week.

maybe that's a private sector thing that varies between employers who make their own rules

I don't think it's feasible to enforce this rule. I have a few employees and if they are out more than 3 days sick I ask for documentation. If they are out for multiple days for personal reason then that's there own business. If they use up their allotted time they can still stay out, just not get paid. But 1 day out sick most people don't go to the doctor even if they really are sick for 1 day.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My company is very very strict. I am the highest person at store level. Even I have to submit documentation. I once was late because I blew a tire and I had to turn in a receipt that proved I was buying a new tire. None of this should be a burden if you’re not lying. That’s my point. I guess I’m just old school like that. I save my personal time for legitimate reasons. That being said I have enough banked to where I could take almost a paid year off.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to give a reason? It's illegal (in the US) to require details thanks to HIPPA. A simple 'I'm sick and not coming in today' is all that's needed. Any question the response should be 'it's personal'.

Yes, but it is also legal for your employer to require you to bring in documentation if you claim to be sick. So, that’s a thin line to skate on. Unless you planned on spending your fake sick day at the doctor anyway. I have never played hooky and I probably never will. However, we we do call off at my work, documentation is required. A return to work form has to be filled out by the doctor, and we do call to verify with the office listed on the note. This generally weeds out those who like to call off often. Like your employer and coworkers or not, it’s never fair to them when someone calls off, and we all choose to work there.

Where do you live? That is completely illegal in the US. I once had an employee out for an extended period of time. A dr's note was submitted, but they've been known to forge documents. I called the dr's office to verify the note, but was told they could not give out any info because of HIPPA laws.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »

Where do you live? That is completely illegal in the US. I once had an employee out for an extended period of time. A dr's note was submitted, but they've been known to forge documents. I called the dr's office to verify the note, but was told they could not give out any info because of HIPPA laws.

You can’t ask questions, you can call and verify that it’s a real doctor and not made up information. We’ve had people forge these document where they write family member phone numbers on them. You call the number and it’s very obvious that that isn’t a doctors office. Google the address, and it’s very obvious that that’s not a doctors office.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Your toaster was talking to you this morning, but you don't own a toaster. Better get checked out just to be safe.

All of your excuses were my favourite. Now you're my favourite person today :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I set up a remote system and work from home. I put a decoy in my office. It's worked so far.

20frpqrgo5eb.jpg
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »

You can’t ask questions, you can call and verify that it’s a real doctor and not made up information. We’ve had people forge these document where they write family member phone numbers on them. You call the number and it’s very obvious that that isn’t a doctors office. Google the address, and it’s very obvious that that’s not a doctors office.

luckily I have a friend that's a doctor xD

XD

Lucky duck. I think everyone needs a recharge day now and again. So, I don’t blame anyone for wanting to do it. Just personally I don’t feel right about it. I know they suffer when I’m not there like I suffer when they aren’t. I would just feel bad. Plus, like someone mentioned before, I would just be taking a million phone calls from home, so I might as well have went it in. Lol
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My company is very very strict. I am the highest person at store level. Even I have to submit documentation. I once was late because I blew a tire and I had to turn in a receipt that proved I was buying a new tire. None of this should be a burden if you’re not lying. That’s my point. I guess I’m just old school like that. I save my personal time for legitimate reasons. That being said I have enough banked to where I could take almost a paid year off.

OMG, where do you work! That is micro managing to an extreme. I'd hate to work there. It sounds like people are treated like children. Needing proof of why you're out every single time you take a day off is more than extreme. So if I have a doctor's appt you have to know which doctor and you'll call my GYN's office? Wow. Even if I'm telling the truth and it's not really a burden, it's definitely an invasion of privacy.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Kids are ALWAYS the best excuse. A) everyone knows kids get sick often and you can do multiple days if you want. And B) YOU aren't pretending to be sick so you can post pics of getting Starbucks, lunch, or other such stuff without being questioned why.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    I called in sick to work today. I'm not sick at all. But I told boss man I'm throwing up. I know it's not a completely original excuse, but no one wants to work with a puker.

What are some better excuses I could use for next time?

You have VD?

How can someone have Valentines Day?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Lighten up peeps.
    I'm at work today, boss man only asked if he needed to expect hurling in the office today. As he laughed.
    No biggie. I'm an excellent employee who rarely calls in.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Hate calling in sick. The guilt is too much, even when genuine 😅
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Lighten up peeps.
    I'm at work today, boss man only asked if he needed to expect hurling in the office today. As he laughed.
    No biggie. I'm an excellent employee who rarely calls in.

been trying to lighten up, but the weight loss aspect of this site disappeared the second I joined

I've seen what you eat....
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    These threads are much funnier from a manager's point of view.

Yeah. I did the mgt thing for years at the college with a dozen + techs under me. Nerds come up with some really halrious excuses, but interestingly they treat their home computers like their kids. It was perfectly aceptable (and happened mutliple times) for a tech to call and say their home computer was broke/acting up/needed upgrading and they would be in late or were taking the day off. Like it is life critical they were home for their system. lol.

Anyway, I always incldued what I called STPTO. That is when you call in sick....and tired....or really, sick and tired of work for personal time off. A day here and there to recharge the batteries is a good thing for employees.

• AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options

OMG, where do you work! That is micro managing to an extreme. I'd hate to work there. It sounds like people are treated like children. Needing proof of why you're out every single time you take a day off is more than extreme. So if I have a doctor's appt you have to know which doctor and you'll call my GYN's office? Wow. Even if I'm telling the truth and it's not really a burden, it's definitely an invasion of privacy.

No they wouldn’t require that. Only for last minute call offs. Request off are totally different and almost always honored. But I do feel like a glorified baby sitter a lot of the time.