What Do YOU consider maintenance?

Options

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My range is 5 lbs, I prefer to stay at the low end of it, but during holidays and my kids visits home it tends to go towards top end. I track my weight daily, and pay attention to weight trend. Staying within the range, reasonable exercise, fitness goals, keeping my food intake in check, keeping snacking in check, those are parts that produce relatively happy and worry free maintenance for me.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Looks like I am with the majority in the 5 lb range. I have been in maintenance since Sept of last year after losing more than 100 lbs in 8 months and just started working toward another loss.

It seems that 2 lbs might be too small to gauge properly... especially for females with the way our weight fluctuates. However, we are all different you will need to find what works best for you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    1.5,kg either side of my target weight. So a total range of about 6 lb.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight at the beginning of the summer. I was hoping to maintain within 5 pounds of that. My goal being at the top of that. However, having my daughter home and taking vacations and not working out like I would like I have been steady at 3-4 pounds over my goal weight which I am okay with for the summer. All of my new clothes still fit great and I like the way I look. I know that in a week my "normal" schedule will be back and I will be closer to the bottom number.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    My maintenance rsnge on the up side is only 2#.

I've allowed my weight on the down side drop as much as 8# from 160 (my GW) down to 152 because I didn't mind the addtional loss. My redline on the down side is 150 but I haven't gotten there yet.

I'm currently at 153, up 1# from my low if 152 snd I know why. Already adjusting things to prevent any further increase to stay w/in the 2# up side range.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My maintenance number is 118 +/- 2 lbs so a four pound range, roughly... but I’m hanging just above 120 this summer with vacations and a more relaxed attitude. I’m ok with it.

If you’re within 5 lbs of goal, is your rate of loss set at 0.5 lb/week so that you are at a 250 cal deficit? That way you can start to slowly taper into eating at maintenance, and some people continue to lose even when upping their cals.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’m going to need a range of 5lb on the up side just to allow for TOM water retention. I suspect that ultimately I’m going to be working within a range of +7/-2 to allow for a ‘real’ range of +-2.

(And I am currently working on a spreadsheet that will correct my scale weight for position in the menstrual cycle, assuming that the lowest weight I have for four days in the follicular phase is as inaccurate as the highest weight I have at the start of my period.)
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight for the top end of the bmi scale. I am getting very close. How did you decide where you sit on the maintance scale?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight for the top end of the bmi scale. I am getting very close. How did you decide where you sit on the maintance scale?

Like you, top of the normal/healthy BMI was a good bench mark for me. I set my range so the top is 4 pounds below a BMI of 24.9. I don't ever want to go back over; not even for a day on a spike. A range that is above and below goal never worked for me. I always starting pushing it about how far above is acceptable. So I had to make it zero.
  • emawbey
    emawbey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    +/- 2kg
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Within 3 percent gain of baseline.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 48-52kg. I tend to stay around 50. The range gives me some room to account for normal fluctuations but if I get close to 52 I know I'm eating too much. If I get close to 48, I know I need to eat more.
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    aimeetu wrote: »
    How far from your goal weigh do you get before you consider it not maintenance? As a reformed WW member I have a 2 lb fluctuation in my head but I feel like that is too little - I can gain 2lbs from PMS!! Also I am 5 lbs from "goal weight" but I am worried when I get to the magic number I won't have anything to strive for anymore. Help!

Changing your focus from weight loss to maintaining takes time to settle into. Its finding balance so you don't obsess about the scale. Maintaining can be chasing the same five to ten pounds up and down the scale.

After weight loss, I realized I needed fitness goals to keep me motivated. Hope you find what keeps you balanced and striving for your best self.

Fit_chickx, after weight loss, did you gain a pound or two when you started fitness? I'm struggling with that now--trying to maintain while weight training and walking 3 miles/day. Thanks
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

I set myself a target if losing 10 kg which puts me at a maitenance goal weight of 62 kg, a BMI of 23.

Well within healthy range and I considered myself healthy there, at 50 plus years old - I wasn't trying to be thin, just to be healthy.

• teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My maintenance range is 132 to 138 (max.), but I prefer to stay no more than 136. I weigh daily and can easily range 3 or 4 lbs just from water weight, food in transit, etc. so I feel more comfortable with a bigger range - if I only had 2lbs I'd be in a panic most days!
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My goal was 125.5 lbs (57 kg).
    I have gotten as low as 121, slowly, over two months of figuring out my maintenance limit while increasing activity. Now I am around 123.5 and that's a good spot. I suppose anything over 126 would make me a little antsy, unless I know it's from planned slow bulking, which is on the agenda. It's hard to reconcile that with the idea of „staying put” in a range.
    I weigh in daily because I am curious. But I suppose numbers aside, the only true relevance is the one of measurements. If they stay the same, or go down, I will be a happy woman regardless of the scale - even BECAUSE the scale goes up. It means body recomp is working and more muscle is happening. Which is good.