Sports bra issues

When shopping for my first sports bras the only ones I could find were all "Adjustable inserts" for padding. These refuse to stay in place, and I spend time before and after my workout fixing them so they don't deform. They will roll up at the edges and i have to shift them along slowly using pinching motions so that they uncurl and get back in the general area I need them.

Is there any way to avoid this? I am trying to get in and out of them without affecting the padding as much, but there is only so much maneuverability with this type of garment...

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Sports bras with padding were literally all i could find, and they do help provide support. I haven't seen any slits to remove them, will look closely tonight.

I went through 6 different stores to find something with enough support in my size. I found a grand total of 2 that felt right. Not a fun thing to shop for =(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    Sports bras with padding were literally all i could find, and they do help provide support. I haven't seen any slits to remove them, will look closely tonight.

I went through 6 different stores to find something with enough support in my size. I found a grand total of 2 that felt right. Not a fun thing to shop for =(

have you tried on line?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    When shopping for my first sports bras the only ones I could find were all "Adjustable inserts" for padding. These refuse to stay in place, and I spend time before and after my workout fixing them so they don't deform. They will roll up at the edges and i have to shift them along slowly using pinching motions so that they uncurl and get back in the general area I need them.

Is there any way to avoid this? I am trying to get in and out of them without affecting the padding as much, but there is only so much maneuverability with this type of garment...

I'm not sure where you live, but I usually get Champion bras and they offer several with built in padding. Unfortunately, the least expensive bras will most likely be unlined or inserts.

Would sealing up the insert sleeve with fabric glue help? The key is making sure you don't create a chafing point while trying to fix something else! If you can't fix it, I would agree just toss the inserts. Maybe wear a patterned tank or something like that over it if modesty is the issue.

ETA: There are some great bras on Amazon as well.
  • emmies_123
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Well now I'm confused. How are they adjustable inserts if there's no way to get them out? What dark sorcery is this? :lol:

I guess because they shift around in the front. I could push one all the way to the opposite side, etc. and they shift up and down. Maybe there are slits somewhere that are very well hidden.

I did see some champion by me but there weren't any in my size. I ended up getting "Zelos" as it was on sale and actually had a size that provided support AND I could clamber out of afterwards without injuring myself. Couldn't find any sports versions with the back hooks, although my mom claims they exist...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Wow, who knew. God forbid something as basic as bras should be uncomplicated :naughty:
    I always buy a bunch, then try them on at home and return most, if not all!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    What kind of stores did you go to? I have never seen a sports bra with an insert :P I just went shopping for another one on Monday! I hit running stores though.

this is my favorite right now https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/rebound-racer-sports-bra/350037.html
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    All of the bras I’ve seen have a little opening on the sides so the padding insert can be taken out. Doesn’t yours have this? What country are you in? I’m a DD (or DDD or E 🙄) and have found the best bras at Lululemon, and Sportchek. Sportchek carries all of the regular sports gear here (from running to mountain climbing) and all the usual brands (Adidas, Nike,etc). I found their line of Brooks bras to be the best (the straps adjust in the front!!). Have you tried a sports retailer? I find the bras in the regular bra stores (including Victoria Secret) and clothing stores are garbage and can’t handle larger breasts and activity.
  • emmies_123
    I'm not quite as well endowed, I'm only a B or C depending on shape of cups, which made me a "L" and apparently the same size as every other woman in my area.

Stores: Wal-mart, Target, JCPenny, Belk, Dillards, and Kohls. The only store to have some in my size that were supportive enough was Belk =/ All the stores had plenty of "S" or "XL " and bigger.

I will have to search closer on the sides and see if there is a slit to take them out, maybe it is folded over so I couldn't obviously see it. I have considered sewing them in place, but I'm worried about piercing damaging the pad and making it worse.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    I’m personally a fan of Victoria’s Secret sports bras. A little pricey but worth it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Try old Navy?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm in Canada. I get mine at La Vie en Rose. https://www.lavieenrose.com/en/bras/type/sport
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Unfortunately I have to deal w/ the moving pads as well, but it's usually only ever an issue right after washing. Mine all have slits that I can stick my fingers in to move the pads around. If yours doesn't then... that's just stupid. Mine don't move around during my work out or anything. I wish they made bras with pads that weren't removable. I like having the pads because I'm so flat chested that it gives the illusion that I have boobs.

I've heard a lot of people really like Old Navy active wear. Every time I go to TJ Maxx (or Marshalls) they have tons and tons of active wear including bras (in my size too, M or L)
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    I'm not quite as well endowed, I'm only a B or C depending on shape of cups, which made me a "L" and apparently the same size as every other woman in my area.

Stores: Wal-mart, Target, JCPenny, Belk, Dillards, and Kohls. The only store to have some in my size that were supportive enough was Belk =/ All the stores had plenty of "S" or "XL " and bigger.

I will have to search closer on the sides and see if there is a slit to take them out, maybe it is folded over so I couldn't obviously see it. I have considered sewing them in place, but I'm worried about piercing damaging the pad and making it worse.

Personally, I avoid any sports bra with a generic size (S, M, L etc) like the plague. Our bodies are so different there is no way something so basic is properly supportive and reliable when doing anything active. Unless you happen to be built the same way as the manufacturer's model was...

My sports bra requirements usually include:
    - specific sizing: at least different cup sizes if not a cup size and a band size
    - hook closure: a solid elastic that I've pulled over my head is NOT going to stay in place while exercising in my experience
    - adjustable straps (I don't even understand why bras are made without adjustable straps!) because I want a more secure fit for biking and less secure for chilling on the couch.

Do you have an REI in your area? Thats where I would go because you know their products are intended for physical activity. I love this one https://www.rei.com/product/110033/brooks-juno-sports-bra
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Look on Amazon. I just bought two and it seemed like they had a lot of styles to choose from. I have large breasts, so I was able to find sports bras that would give me support.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I have the same problem... so freaking annoying!!!! Why don't they just sew them in place?!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Champion on Amazon!! Good prices and they come in band/cup sizes. (No inserts) Good luck!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Personally, I avoid any sports bra with a generic size (S, M, L etc) like the plague. Our bodies are so different there is no way something so basic is properly supportive and reliable when doing anything active. Unless you happen to be built the same way as the manufacturer's model was...

My sports bra requirements usually include:
    - specific sizing: at least different cup sizes if not a cup size and a band size
    - hook closure: a solid elastic that I've pulled over my head is NOT going to stay in place while exercising in my experience
    - adjustable straps (I don't even understand why bras are made without adjustable straps!) because I want a more secure fit for biking and less secure for chilling on the couch.

Do you have an REI in your area? Thats where I would go because you know their products are intended for physical activity. I love this one https://www.rei.com/product/110033/brooks-juno-sports-bra

This all of this. I will second someone's recommendation of Brooks/Moving Comfort bras. Most will have hooks as well. They are pricey but don't skimp on a good sports bra.

My only beef is that REI doesn't carry the larger sizes of sports bras and I am busty for days. even at my smallest weight.